aaa chords, fifths,... question. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: chords, fifths,... question.

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             09-Nov-97  @  05:58 PM   -   chords, fifths,... question.

Purple Haze

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I recently got interested in creating music (purely for fun), and have been playing around with various audio tools and hardware, but I'm actually more or less a beginner.
One thing that keeps on bothering me is that I can't seem to find any decent info about chords! This might seem weird to you, but I'd like to know how to use them, what they are (how come some combination of notes works and another doesn't), what a 'chord-progression' is (often read it in Future Music), how to use them, which ones go together,...
The only thing I know about them is that they're series of notes that sound good together, and that's about it, I can't seem to get enough insigt in them (if you could call it that) to be able to use them in wy own productions (which I'd rather still call experiments at the moment).

Might be a bit weird question, but any info or help is appreciated.

PH.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             09-Nov-97  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

Intox

Here's a tip: try searching for "music theory" on your search engine. That should give you some shit to get you started. If thats not enough go to your local music store(or bookstore for that matter) and pick up any beginners guitar or piano instruction book.

Message 3/13             10-Nov-97  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

james_munro

just keep bashing away on the keyboard, your ear will pick out whats good and whats not. There are of course loads of obvious chords to play like your basic majors, minors, 7ths, shit like that. But you can really frig them around, invert them, change notes within chords and add extra notes. Playing a different bass note to a chord also gives it a different feel and changes the sound quite dramatically. Like the bloke said before me, just get a basic book, learn the easy ones and then experiment. No one can tell you whats a good chord or whats a bad one, its all down to personal taste. Obviously though there are some notes that just do not go, like the ones Orbital use all the bloody time. (only joking lads).

For a starter though, play a G minor chord while playing a G low note. Then play the same chord but play an E flat low note. Thats your typical moody type change, and theres loads of variations like bringing up the last note of the chord from a D to a E flat, then bring your middle note of the chord to a C and play that with either a C or a E flat or a G sharp...blah....blah...blah.......etc... christ is that the time.....

Message 4/13             10-Nov-97  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

DJ Phallus the anal one

Go to harmony-central.com, and check out the bass
section. Go to the lessons, and load the d/l bassline-
construction tutor (you don't need the slap and tap
lessons, unless you want to play bass...) It will tell
you everything about chords, progressions, basslines,
rhytm, etc, etc, etc... You can also go to the guitar
section and load whatever you think will be usefull...

Message 5/13             11-Nov-97  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

Avene

Link?:  Link

I knew nothing about music a few years back either. I used to just find a 5 note chord on the keyboard and base the whole track around that. It kind of worked, I guess, because one of my friends who knows a lot about music started complementing me on chord changes I'd used in a track. I didn't know what he was on about, but apparantly I had some chord changes without knowing what they were.

What I do now is hum a tune in my head, and then go to the keyboard to find the notes. Once I've got it sequenced I then might hum along something different to what I've already got and then add that to the sequence. Actually, I usually start with the chords first, and then add the bass and melodies over the top. It can be anything really. It took me a couple of years to develop a musical ear.

Message 6/13             11-Nov-97  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

DJ Phallus the anal one

yeah, it's hard using yer ears. I've been playing bass
for about two years now, and I'm still having problems
figuering out basslines to some songs... Well, I'm
making progress, cos my guitar player gave me a tape with
some songs, and I immediately found the chords... And I'm
starting to get the hang of improvising... Some people
are born with good ears, others, like I, just have to
develop it. But anyone can do it... You can download Ear-
Power (I can't remember where I got it...) and practise
with that...
By the way, I can't sing a note. Please help!

Message 7/13             17-Nov-97  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

Want to play music?
..............................................................................................................................
Get a musiceducation!

Message 8/13             18-Nov-97  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

ratfink

hey 909! you're the 13 year old kid right? no offense but you don't need a educashion to play music; fact is it might actually get in the way...

Message 9/13             18-Nov-97  @  05:21 AM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

er, actually you DO need a musical education to produce music that we might actually consider art. Face it, what most of us here do is not true art, and while pushing boundries stylistically we are not actually helping to drive the actual cultural, as certain artistic periods have done. That's why we make fun of musos, because they're so into these higher callings of true art that they've forgotten how good it is to do things just for entertainment purposes. What dance music is is utilitarian, just as minstrel music had been centuries ago.

I will submit that genius can happen internally or subconsciously, but if it's not driven by conscious motive, then it is merely a phenomenon and not truly genius.

I hate musos

Message 10/13             18-Nov-97  @  01:47 PM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

james_munro

Does this mean that all synth music cannot be classified as an artform ? What about artists such as Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk. They use the same equipment as us. Their concept of music is similar, ok we seem to take short cuts like using loops and samples of other peoples work, but at the end of the day if it wasnt groups like Tangerine Dream dance music would not be around.

I've been playing the keyboard since I was 9, I am now 25.
The biggest gig I've performed to is 70,000 people at an outdoor summer festival, where me and a mate performed Jarre covers to a massive laser light show (which I designed and arranged. I go to the pub and get pissed and talk a load of pretencious bollocks about music and lights, I then go to a club and e me nuts off for several hours, then go home and do an "in yer face" track. So what am I (apart from the obvious) ? Am I a muso or am I a sad techno twat ? .... Answers on a post card please.......

P.S I will admit I am a severe Jarre fan, so therefore I am not a techno twat, just a normal twat instead. Plus many other things......

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)