aaa JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             01-Jan-98  @  10:41 AM   -   JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

THE poorass

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

yo kilo, ive heard testimonies of this module... i hear there is a techno/dance expansion pack that is supposed to rock. Does this synth give the k2500rs a shake? Is it pro material? A piece of shit? Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             02-Jan-98  @  09:32 AM   -   RE: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

Brenballs

I have its equivelant....the XP-50.....only difference to the JV1080 is that it can only take four simultaneous expansions as opposed to 8 on the JV. They are surprisingly good keyboards and very useful for a wide range of styles. Pads are good and its capable of pretty good bass sounds.

Message 3/27             05-Jan-98  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

it's not as good as a sampler, and it's not as good as a real synth, while the k2500 is competent or better at everything.

Message 4/27             05-Jan-98  @  12:04 PM   -   RE: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

kilo

well, here we go again....... it's a confusing subject, cos what does a 'SYNTH' do in a dance track anyway...??......

If you listen to say Carl Cox.... he gets a beat going, and add's percussion and loop layers, building the beat bit by bit....... has sometimes coming in a 303 pattern or whatever, some short triggered sample patterns here and there, there's the odd string lines, but the synth sounds ?.... alot of the time, it's just short little stab noises aded as if it were a drum pattern..... see that's the thing....... some people use the synth as a synth.... playing in full and all that... like real keyboard player type stuff...... others just get a sound.... and add it as a drum type rhythmic part...... so synths like the jv and K2/2.5 etc will be all capable of creating excellent sounds..... but... so can a cheap nasty 100 squid unit........ see ?.......

so if you have a drum box and sampler or both, you can get all your backing, loops, hits, etc from those, then the other sounds can be from ANY source....... price of synth, or 'QUALITY' is NOT relevent....

However........ if you do want mega ambient pads etc..... then obviously, the price reflects to an extent......, and synths such as the JV and K2 series do create cool Jupiter, moog etc type impressions.... but again....... a cheap synth or an unusual sample, tweaked and FX'd can still get great odd sounds...... one of the best 100% wicked patterns I ever got, was when a sample fucked up somehow by itself creating this totally weird percussive flute sound..... dunno HOW it happened, but the sound resulting is SO unique........

Message 5/27             05-Jan-98  @  01:09 PM   -   RE: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

Avene

Forget the JV, Get the K2500 if you can afford it, or if one falls of the back truck. I hate JVs, they have no character and lack sampling.

Message 6/27             07-Jan-98  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

Andy

There pretty good for the money now there about £800.

Message 7/27             08-Jan-98  @  07:43 AM   -   RE: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

Hilevelt

Avene, I was kinda under the impression you didn't like the k2000's. I gotta say that even after getting Seer Reality, my k2000 is still better (if I could only get smdi transfers to work properly)

Message 8/27             08-Jan-98  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

Avene

I prefer Reality as a sampler, although the slow 1/96 response time really sucks when I'm triggering from my MPC. But I think the guy is after a hardware synth in which case, a K2500 would be better. I'm actually thinking of getting another K2000 myself,(probably a rack this time), just for the Grand Strings sound which I do miss.

Message 9/27             09-Jan-98  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

temp.

I'm interested in creating electronic music and I am interested in the jv-1080. I was also interested in the mc-303 but I want to spend my money on something I can build onto. Would this be a wise investment?

Message 10/27             10-Jan-98  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: JV1080 - is this a kewl pro synth or what?

kilo

I'm always wary of a single unit system, as it can end up giving everything a similar tone... even tho the sounds are different.... but...if it's build in you want, then the k series are pretty unbeatable.... but really, depending on the style....(more notes) maybe the k2500 is what you need, as it offers double the polyphony and more outs.... they are great... you can add drives and sampling options and stacks of ram, extra rom chips..... very high quality.... just dont think it will get you stuff like 303 emulations, etc, cos it wont....but it does do some really nice 'easier to emulate' analog sounds...and creates sounds you never could think of... but stick some analog (if you want it) with one of those, and it makes a great core system.... total....reads .Wav's, roland, akai, ensonique.. versatile..... grand strings .....lush..... best strings I heard...

I been messing around with that basic Moog patch last night actually, and made up some great presets with the lfo creating a detuned oscillating rhythm at a fixed tempo.... then wired it to shift one oscillator pitch... the harmonics change drastically as you move the pitch difference, and some of the rhythms you can play by switching the oscillator in a sequence are brilliant.... I'm gonna try to assign the oscillator pitch to a midi controller.... then draw the steps in to the sequencer to create some pulsating lines

thats the other thing i like about the k2000, there's 999 storage points, before disks, so it's great to just make tweaks and save them to compare and use later... then you can archive them later....
oh yeah.... depending on s/w version, you can load .wav samples if you have a pc to get them from, and then , you dont need to add the sampling board...just add ram, and a cheap scsi hard drive to the built in scsi port, to store and fast load from

.... i just got a Jaz for mine.... I'm gonna add ram, then load samples in from the pc......

if you get the K2500, you wont have to worry about the s/w not reading .Wav... but check if you go for a K2000.....

all in all probably the best all round contender for a total system to build round and expand......although the ASR-X and others of it's ilk, are pretty good depending what style you want to do.... one of those may be more up your street....

the Jv's are GREAT digital synths, with masses of expansion sound boards.. but that's it....

even a basic K-2000 with no sampling option,should come with a few mb of ram... mine has 4 mb and it's a real old one..... so you can load up some samples... especially any 'dance-usual' electronic drums if you need them, which are missing from the kits..... loops too....

this synth is just at home with stuff like soundtrack and film score stuff..... including classical...which can be upgraded with a dedicated 4 mb rom pluggin, which gives a massive pallette of classical sounds, including string variations etc....

there's also a 4 mb 'Contemporary' chip, for more synth and analog stuff.....all in
you can sample into the pc, or read from cd roms, then disk them over to the K ...or wire a cd rom into the scsi chain....

just bear in mind that if you go for big amount of notes stuff, the K2000 is only 24 note poly..... whereas the 2500 is 48 note...

the k2000 goes up to 64 mb ram... and has 4 outs....k2500... 8 outs....

sorry bout the waffle....(grin)

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)