aaa music copyright - confused as fuck - still - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             01-Jan-98  @  12:25 PM   -   music copyright - confused as fuck - still

THE poorass

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well it was bound to happen. I surfed for two fucking hours, trying to find out how to copyright original works, but to no avail.

So tell me now, one page says that posting material to yourself is not required, others say it is. Most dont even state in plain english how to register, and/or be legally 'protected'.

So is copyright followed through with an agency? Through a government body? Or through the mail man?

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             01-Jan-98  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

THE poorass

avene, youre in oz, how do you go about copyrighting your shit? thanx.

Message 3/13             01-Jan-98  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

DJ Phallus

Basically, you own the copyright to anything you create.
BUT you have to be able to prove it, so mailing your work
to yourself may be smart... Here in Belgium there's a
company called "sabam" that deals with copyrights for you,
I guess there should be something similar whereveer you
live. Just check in the yellow pages under "copyrights"...

Message 4/13             03-Jan-98  @  03:52 AM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

Seduzza

In America, All you gotta do is send a copy of your work to the copyright office with 20 bucks... Easy... Don't know if that helps any... Course why would I want to?... punk..

Message 5/13             04-Jan-98  @  10:03 PM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

kilo

yup....mailing to yourself, by registered mail, proves the date you wrote the track, cos the reg' mail has the date, and you get a stamped reciept from the postal service.....it's cheaper than joining a publishing collection society, such as ascap (American society of composers and performers), or prs...(performing rights society) etc..... you should join your territories agency, if you are releasing tracks on the market.... you join, and register works with them.... but the postal idea works well, also, you can save your tracks at your bank, by having the bank place them in a vault.... agaian, you get a dated recipt for the deposit... doesn't cost too much.....

Message 6/13             05-Jan-98  @  12:15 AM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Laws are different depending on where you are, but in America the "common-law copyright" (mailing to yourself or using a safe-deposit box) was done away with in 1976. Before you start thinking how lame it is to get rid of such a thing, the US government simultaneously eased the copyright process, and just as Seduzza said it's about as easy mailing to yourself now anyway. Self-mailing never held up well to begin with.

oh, and the US did all this in an effort to bring our standards up to those set in the Bern convention for all of Europe, so these standards are likely to be similar where ever you are.

Message 7/13             05-Jan-98  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

Avene

Link?:  Link

Well Poorass, I don't copywrite any of my shit, I usually just flush it down the toilet.

Seriuosly though, I've never really looked into it. I guess as long as you can prove that you're the composer, then there shouldn't be a problem unless you're sampling a load of other peoples music or using someone elses melody.

Message 8/13             06-Jan-98  @  04:08 PM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

freestyle

In most countries, if you put "(c) mr.boz 1998" on something it is copyrighted in your name. In some countries you don't even have to put a name, just "(c) 1998" will do. As for proving it, registered mail will do nicely - except in the States. Make sure you don't lose the package 6 months later :-).

As for the PRS, ASCAP (and others), they also collect royalties for radio airplay and stuff like that. I think they only cost a few quid to join, so it may be worth it if you're doing distribution.

later...

Message 9/13             02-Feb-98  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

Jmackcam

I just downloaded amen apache + other stormin breakbeats -
can I use them in a commercial track ? HOW?
where are they from? Why do they sound so different from anything I can do with a drum machine?

Message 10/13             03-Feb-98  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

ivan

It might be because they are played on real drums? ;)

I don't think you could get sued for using them, because
in that case A LOT other junglists etc would been sued by now. This holds as long you doesn't use a really recognizable loop from a well-known song.

A way round this problem is to hire a drummer and get him to play similiar beats.. at least some people uses stand ins for voice parts- getting someone to sing/say the very same thing.. (wow! that rhymes!)

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)