aaa Programming D&B beats........... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Programming D&B beats...........

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             15-Jan-98  @  06:16 AM   -   Programming D&B beats...........

cgifford

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm currently working with a Boss DR-660 and for the life of me can't figure out how these guys do it. Say I'm listening to Luke Vibert or Bill Laswell and I hear these damn cool beats....So I go over to my machine and go tappity tap tap and come up with something that sounds pretty cool, but it just doesn't sound "crazy enough" (little snare rolls here, kick flutters there......).
Is it just a matter of programming in a computer?
Can it be done with a 660 alone? Is this question clear enough? What's the meaning of life? Et. Al......

-----
Brad

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             15-Jan-98  @  07:11 AM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

patrickr

Programing beats can be a little confusing. Do you do you understand quantizing values? Quantizing moves notes
to the exact note value. 1/8 notes are moved to the
nearest 1/8 note generally (48 tick) 1/8(3) note triplet
(32 tick) 1/16, a common value used in drum and bass,
(24 tick) 1/16(3) (16 tick) 1/32, good for break beat,
(12 tick) 1/32(3) (8 tick) If you are recording live
this corrects your timing errors. You can also step
record; the method of recording one note at a time using
quantizing values.
This will allow you to audition every note you record
at a time. A good way to learn how to program beats
is using a middi file, a map of all data used in a
sequence. You can make your own from a sampled loop
using wave surgeon or recycle. Setting different
attacks, decays, tuning, and processing of sounds can
create unique elements in a loop as well as timing shifting to create a swing or shuffle.

create unique elements to a loop.

Message 3/13             15-Jan-98  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

kilo

drum & bass is best programmed at slower tempo, then speeded up after you get the basic feel .....essentially, it's about a 3 time beat over a 4/4 time signature.......eg... beat is 1...2...3...4...

the feel is 123-123-12 123-123-12..... it's just coming out of the classic 3 time dub fill, which is the mother of ragga, and became jungle/drum & bass......this is not a rule, but thats the feel over which you add whatever

Message 4/13             16-Jan-98  @  07:15 AM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

I actually know a guy who works with Bill Laswell. He sits in front of Cubase for hours programming nothing but beats (at regular tempo, BTW, 150-170). Diligence is da key, young warrior, as well as a mighty samurai sampler. That guy uses drum maps, but I personally throw the shit down real time, but then I'm more into tech-step (not so widdly).

Message 5/13             16-Jan-98  @  07:39 AM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

cgifford

Hmmmm....I was actually starting to think that that was one way to get it accomplished (programing for hours on end). Good to know my hunch was at least partially true!
I'm curious . . . The Laswell album that I have seems to be pretty sparse in terms of melody, so what exactly does Laswell do? Does he just have some guy program beats, lay down a nice swirly synth line (on the album I have--I can't remember the name), and then slap his name on the product? Let me know if you know . . . .

---
Brad

Message 6/13             16-Jan-98  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

Avene

I know a guy who uses a DR660 for drum n bass beats. He programs all his stuff using 32nd notes. That's all I can tell you, sorry.

Message 7/13             17-Jan-98  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

Hilevelt

err, I hate to get too much into this 'cause I'm a huge Laswell fan myself, so I'm biased. He seems to take a lot of roles, and I like to think that even when he's only playing bass (as he does alot with my buddy) he's coming back and making a significant impact in production.
Working with samples is easier than with a drum machine, 'cause it fills it out better when you cut the sample with a little trailing, whereas a drum machine sounds too sparse. 'course, the lesson you'd learn by overcoming this weakness should make you a better programmer than a spoiled sunnuva bitch like me.

Message 8/13             17-Jan-98  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

cgifford

You know, I've noticed that sparseness that I get from drum machines. Though, for some reason I like it on a lot of the stuff that I'm doing right now (which, admitedly isn't much  .......It tends to add a "darker" feel to it. Another thing that I've also found is that I can simply add a high pitched noise to another track to fill in the emptiness.
-----
Brad

Message 9/13             30-Jan-98  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

NickJohnA

When programming drum and bass, try using live percussion over the top of sampled breaks to prevent them sounding to false.
Also for darker styles of the music turn the gain up when sampling the beats so that they distort, then compress them harshly.
For my new release I have used on drum sounds of the Korg X5 for the beats, using the JAZZ kit, because most drum and bass breaks orgininated form classic jazz breaks.
My latest releases are avalible from the start of FEB 98 and to be released soon after, Jazzy Style is on Complex Recordings by Distant Soundz, and Dark Coast is on Metropolysis Records by Dj Creation.

Message 10/13             02-Feb-98  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

iskross

Want something crazy?
Check this:
Get some pop-drum sounds. Program a swinging soul type pattern at, say 100 bpm. Record the loop in to wavelab or such like. Timestretch it and pitch it up a little. Put some delay on it to make it sound "twice as much" (tempo-delay is perfect for this). Eq the bass some, compress it like hell. Make it distort just a lil'. Import the loop to cubase and get a cuppa, cos this is gonna take some time. Start by cutting the loop up in smaller pieces but make sure to cut at the beats. Do this by setting the tempo in cubase so that it loops nice and select snap:1/8 (or what ever it's called). Now play around some with the slices, repeat, puzzle....you get the point. When you are happy with your brakebeat go get some cool snare drum samples (kilo has some great at the sample page). Put them on another track and apply delay to that track. This should sound pretty crazy!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)