aaa Help!! What kit to get next....... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Help!! What kit to get next.......

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             12-Feb-98  @  05:03 PM   -   Help!! What kit to get next.......

ghylander

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok guys and gals...please share your wealth of
knowledge! So far my kit is comprised of...Cyrex
200+ 40 megs o' RAM Cakewalk Home studio, DB50XG,
XG Edit, Making Waves, wavesurgeon and all the
other share/freeware/demos on the net. My tax returns are coming in soon (about $1100)US and I am racking mybrain on what kit to get next. I recently went to a full hardware studio and was quite impressed with hardware in general. I want to twiddle knobs! But I don't want to limit myself. I'm into making techno, trance,Drum n Bass, breakbeats,Ambient .I like it all! So with all this in mind what do you think? .I also want to do some live stuff...But I don't mid hauling the ol PC, PS I still don't have a keyboard for my DB50XG so that is still on the list...Here's what I've been debating......

1. Quasimidi 309 (plenty of knobs to twiddle)and a cheap midi keyboard for the DB50...won't I still need a mixer tho?
2. R8, mixer,maybe a Fat fb-383 or a SH-101 plus the cheapo keyboard
3. get the steinberg dancepack for VST and rebirth/cycle and a sampler...will a keyboard sampler work with the DB50?

Anybody got any experience with the 309??????????

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             12-Feb-98  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: Help!! What kit to get next.......

ghylander

I've also been thinking about a JP-8000...can get one for 1100....Any thoughts?

Message 3/11             13-Feb-98  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: Help!! What kit to get next.......

kilo

well, it's a great synth, but something like the Access Virus may be a better answer, it'll do all your modelling sounds, and also FM and digital too....... but...... from the styles you quote, a sampler wouldn't go amiss...... dont think the 309's a great bet actually......have you considered the terratec card,..,..... it's got a digital synth, and a sampler, plus 4 high quality audio outs.... If you're running VST, you could pump the audio (loops vocals etc etc) out of 2 outs, and send the synth/sampler out of the other 2....... you'll need to keep the other soundcard for the db50 tho, as it wont fit on a terratec...... but... the good news is, the Terratec now has a plug-in daughterboard, that has a waldorf Microwave synth on it.... so if you got that, with the card, you'd have a pretty cool synth armoury, of a 4 mb wavetable synth and the waldorf synth.... (Plus the XG if you keep the old soundcard.... (there may be slight probs getting the Terratec and old soundcard to both work at the same time with VST).....

all you need then is a keyboard to play stuff in to the pc..... the Terratec sampler goes up to 64mb ram with standard simms.....so it'll do all your loops and drum hits etc...... you can blend that with the xg drums, and the Terratec synth kits.....
If you're using vst, then you can mix all the sources to the Terratec's s/pdif outs for direct to dat transfer.......(except the xg)....... or get a small mixer, and add extra outboard synths as you go...... mixing it all to dat....

as for external hardware..... well, a cheap s/h sampler, and whatever else.. I dunno.....the Virus, AN1X..... idunno..... but to go that route, you'll need a small mixer.......

Message 4/11             13-Feb-98  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: Help!! What kit to get next.......

ghylander

wow, that Virus sounds like the dogs nut's! ANy idea on price and dealer location in the states? Is VST all that?
Also found an Akai S 1000 2mb for $100, good deal? Thanks for all your help!

Message 5/11             13-Feb-98  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: Help!! What kit to get next.......

kilo

fuckinh hell....... $100 bucks ?????.....are you suere ??.... or is that Outer-Latvian dollars?? with an exchange rate of 1 for every 7 US Dollars ???............ get it..... make sure it's not an S-1000PB (playback)..... this was a play-samples only unit used to augment an S-series setup to get extra outs and memory..... you can get a reformatting s/w called resample pro, that'll allow you to use .wav files etc and re-sample them to akai format, but it's not as convenient as having a proper s-1000..... only 100??..... I'd jump on it mate.... (just bear in mind that s-1000 memory upgrades are about 300-400 for an 8 mb i think.... they come on special akai boards and are expensive.... but it'll still be worth it at that price...... only $100??..... sure it's not an akai S-01 ??........ etc etc.... sob....

Message 6/11             13-Feb-98  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Help!! What kit to get next.......

kilo

actually thinking about it, it's probably a 2mb memory upgrade board at that price.... the Virus is in the synth section..... link to the TSI/Waldorf site from the page, and mail them for a dealer near you.......

Message 7/11             15-Feb-98  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: Help!! What kit to get next.......

ghylander

You were right......2mb RAM board..The ad was mighty misleading...AKAI S1000 2mb RAM....that's ALL IT SAID!
On that note is $900 a good price for a Ensonique EPS16+ woth the output expander? Good piece of kit? You don't have a review on it so........

Message 8/11             16-Feb-98  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: Help!! What kit to get next.......

kilo

dunno it outside of spec's.......anyone?.......

Message 9/11             17-Feb-98  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Help!! What kit to get next.......

ghylander

Scratch that Kilo....ok here's whats goin on. I just got a Juno 60 for US$305 I found a guy with a $325 R8 with the 808 card and a ram card??? Does this machine have 2 slots? And an Kawai Q-80 for 175...so 500 for both....I'm also lookind at a Mackie 1202 for like $240 so for about $1000 I'm gettn an Analog synth a drumbox a hardware sequencer and a mixer......plus my existing kit. The only thing I can think of is some effects.........Any thoughts? I'm also lookin at the PIAA fatman for 150...anybody heard it?

Cheers

Message 10/11             17-Feb-98  @  04:07 PM   -   RE: Help!! What kit to get next.......

Me again

Oh one more thing, does the R8 really have 8 outs? [And what use it the RAM card? I should just get it and shut up eh?

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)