aaa Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             19-Feb-98  @  07:28 PM   -   Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

UnKnOwN

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Anyone know which synth is used (or can be used) to create the fat, dark terror bass sounds of Techstep as heard on No-U-Turn's 'Torque' CD? It is also known as the Reece bassline (isn't he a techno producer?) I need a piece of kit than can produce these sort of fuckin' noises, so I can keep my hands on da knobs instead of desperately sampling every part of the CD where this sound is heard (heh almost every track)...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             20-Feb-98  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

kilo

well, I aint heard it on cd....... i found a ra excerpt, but it's a bit hard to hear it....:

click here for RA clip

but, dunno what synth it is exactly from the RA clip, but it sounds like a twin osc' 2 X sawtooth.... possibly with touch of ring mod....at least with 1 oscillator detuned a tad....

Message 3/11             20-Feb-98  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

detuned hammond + saw + experiment

Message 4/11             20-Feb-98  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

detuned hammond + saw + experiment

Message 5/11             20-Feb-98  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

UnKnOwN

Hmm, I have to buy a real Hammond Organ?!?
Ok, to clear things up, I've found two more examples of this sound:
Dj Trace - Mutant Revisited:
Click here and skip to 19:15
Villain - Virus:
Click here and skip to 6:15
Ok, anyone can figure out what synth is used or can be used and how the oscillators and stuff are set to create this sound?

Message 6/11             23-Feb-98  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

I heard that Technics WSA-1 get it synthesized, but everybody just uses samples anyway. Panacea uses the sound mad-sick.

Message 7/11             23-Feb-98  @  10:01 AM   -   RE: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

Avene

Link?:  Link

Well, there was a Kurtis Blow sample "These are the breaks", a synth chord sample, a rhodes piano sample, ... Oh there it is now, sounds like a 2 osc square wave sound to me. There's another sound which sounds like it's got some effect on it. The MKS50 does sounds like that. So, the Juno 1 and 2 would probably do it aswell, but i'm sure it could be done on loads of synths.

Message 8/11             23-Feb-98  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

kilo

yup....... sounds actually like the best siound you can get from that mini-Korg 700 or 700-s............ check the Korg 700 real-audio demo in the Synth section......it's near as dammit the same sound...... probably is that synth in fact, cos the filter sounds too close ....

Message 9/11             25-Feb-98  @  05:38 AM   -   RE: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

udel

what about those booming bass sounds (almost like EQ'd 808 toms???) found on more jazzy drum and bass? synth or eq'd drums then resampled? how how how???

Message 10/11             25-Feb-98  @  12:08 PM   -   RE: Phat Techstep 'Dark' Bass Sounds?

iskross

The most common bass sound in drum n bass is the sine bass. Most synths has a sine bass preset. You can, of cours, easily program it. Make sure to add some dist to make it sound right. I don't know about that phat bass you are describing...it's square all right, but...hmm don't know for sure...

-marcus

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)