aaa Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             06-Apr-98  @  02:15 AM   -   Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

Jonlawrence7

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Okay, people, I am opening myself up here for
quite a ribbing I'm sure, but this site seems so
full of people with an amazing amount of knowledge
that I absolutely have to do this.
I live in the states, and have somewhat recently
(2 years or so) found a love for jungle or
whatever-everyone seems to have a different name
anyway, I want to make my own sounds!!!
I'm tired simply listening ot all these badass
songs and having no outlest (yet) for the ideas
they creat in my head. so I need to know what I
can do in order to alleviate the problem
what I'm getting at is that I need to know what
sort of equipment to buy-yes I know this is a
matter of opinion and all that, but Im willing
to listen to just about anything!!!
I'v looked in the paper, and online classifieds, and it seems like I could probably find just about
anything.
I dig all styles of dnb, but lean toward the "tech" style like optical, John.B., Dara, and
especially Future Forces-damn they're hard!!!
I know I'm rambling-I apologize but Im obsessed-I
spent the last three days in front of the screen
looking for advice/equipment/info and I'm even
more confused.
okay first question:
where do these guys get or create the awesome bass
2)I assume a keyboard type sampler would be a good
place to start?
3)Would an old ensoniq Mirage work? Ifound a
couple for $2-300. Iknow their old, but....
I have a very limited budget right now and am thinking maybe I should start turning tricks to
get some extra money.
Also, for snths-Juno60/2/106?NovationBassstation?
Whoever responds to this will probably feel inclined to send me a bill!!
I understand the basic concept of the music but
other than that am pretty much in the dark so...
determination counts though, doesnt it?
Okay, one last question that may just ruin it, but
I downloaded that hammerhead program onto a floppy and onto my hard drive and I cant get it to
work-does that program run on its own or do I need
something else?
Laugh all you want but I'm a clean slate and would
love to hear from anyone!!!
--Dave Spang (Influx)
P.S. that E-mail address is my fathers-I'm using
his computer

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             06-Apr-98  @  02:36 AM   -   RE: Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

Influx5150

Anyone responding to the above message please send to
influx5150@hotmail.com-I set up a new address for myself
so that would be better
thanks

Message 3/14             06-Apr-98  @  12:51 PM   -   RE: Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

KILO

WASSUP WITH hammerhead ?.......what is the problem exactly...??......then we get to the rest..... cos if you're broke... hammerhead is ok to get your drum loops together...

Message 4/14             06-Apr-98  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

steve

If you can, get a mate to do a few rounds of your
favorite beats on his (real)drum kit and sample that.
Now I know that you will have to get access to a half decent mic and recorder but once you have the parts you like best, sampled into your machine, then you have the means to produce original sounding breaks and beats. Even if the recordings are not top notch, this may well be the sound you are after. If you are into Beck/Portishead style drums, Goldwave will turn them into lo-fi/scratchy sounding loops if you experiment. I mention this as it could be a very cheap way to amass sounds without going for sample CD's or being caught by the copyrighters once your killer track hit the the streets. (We all wish)
The success of this is ( assumming you know of a drummer)
that the drummer must play to a click or be a ROCK solid
timekeeper. The longer the loop the more likley his/her timing will fluctate.
If you could get hold of a DAT and mic or sample straight into your PC, coupled with the likes of Hammerhead then you could be away and running.

Message 5/14             06-Apr-98  @  04:09 PM   -   bass sounds

MrSkul

cool bass sounds can be created with just about any decent syth. try starting with a sine wave and tune it down a couple of octaves - that will give you that low end hum. then you can layer whatever else you want on top of it to give it a slightly different character. i'm guessing a lot of these guys use saw waves as well. the "diving" aspect can be created using at least a couple of different modulation sources. pitch envelope, if available, is an obvious one (get it to lower pitch over time), but forces you to have every note dropping. i might go for a nice even slide time (portamento). then you just hit a note, hold it, and hit a lower note and it will slide down to that one. there's probably a couple of other ways i haven't thought of.

if you got access to a bass and a sampler you can create some really cool loops of your own. remember it's all about tone, so EQ is your best friend. probably you'll wanna compress the sonofabitch pretty hard as well. experiment with different gain settings too (or distortion if you got it). don't be afraid to chop the loops up and rearrange them. and also try reversing them, you can get some mad sounds that way.

Message 6/14             06-Apr-98  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

Antybabylon

If you have a Sound Blaster (clone) / Gravis Ultra Sound you can also start downloading Fast Tracker 2... Although not professional and the sound quality may suck a bit, this program is very powerful (and shareware too)... Ok, so all you can do is use samples, but at least it is a very cheap way to start making some tunes; oh and there are a lot of Techstep / D 'n B mods out there so if you also download those, you can easily see how it works...

Btw, check out No-U-Turn's 'Torque' for the best Techstep ever...

Message 7/14             06-Apr-98  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

fergm

No-one has responded to his question about the Ensoniq Mirage. I saw one here at a Cash Converters for CDN$500, which seemed a bit much for the condition it was in. But I'd like to know if it is midi-capable, how does it sample, what does it SOUND like? I didn't have a chance to try it out but I'm sure someone here knows a LOT about them. Thanks.

Message 8/14             06-Apr-98  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

influx5150

to kilo:
Okay, I downloaded hammerhead to floppy and on to the hard drive-when I tried to run it I got one of those damn beeps and it said "could not read session file..."
I'm still learning the whole computer thing, as well-ya see, I'm technologically retarded!!!but I'll catch up.
Any way-just in case it matters, I have an IBM aptiva-that should certainly be enough power, right? Im gonna try to download once again-oh-when I first tried to download to floppy, the computer asked where I wanted to put the program and I(not knowing what the hell I was doing, chose a program called "hyperterminal" Yeah, yeah, I know. anyway, now when I try to load it from either floppy or hard drive, it says what I told you above, then goes to that damned Hyperterminal program. What the hell!!!!! Again-thanks for your time.

Message 9/14             06-Apr-98  @  09:53 PM   -   RE: Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

Influx5150

About the mirage-all I know is its old, and one of the first samplers ensoniq made. I do believe it's midi, but
I'm not sure-as for the tech stuff, couldnt tell ya.
There was one in the classifieds either here, at hypperreal, sonic state, or harmony central, for $200-Im' not really sure if thats American or what-but back off-I might want it  
Yeah-all the rest of you-I appreciate all the responses, but what about my gear ???'s
Here's what I'm looking at:
Roland Juno 60 (w/midi adapter)or Juno 2
Ensoniq mirage sampler-or maybe a better one if I can find
one I can afford
I have my bass guitar, which would be fun to get sounds out of, as well as various pedal (and access to more)
the comp I'm using is my pop's, so I think I'll look for another one-any suggestions there?
I know I'm asking for a lot of handholding, but its just
for a boost in the right direction. thanks y'all

Message 10/14             06-Apr-98  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: Ignorance/ineptitude/general fog

Influx5150

About the mirage-all I know is its old, and one of the first samplers ensoniq made. I do believe it's midi, but
I'm not sure-as for the tech stuff, couldnt tell ya.
There was one in the classifieds either here, at hypperreal, sonic state, or harmony central, for $200-Im' not really sure if thats American or what-but back off-I might want it  
Yeah-all the rest of you-I appreciate all the responses, but what about my gear ???'s
Here's what I'm looking at:
Roland Juno 60 (w/midi adapter)or Juno 2
Ensoniq mirage sampler-or maybe a better one if I can find
one I can afford
I have my bass guitar, which would be fun to get sounds out of, as well as various pedal (and access to more)
the comp I'm using is my pop's, so I think I'll look for another one-any suggestions there?
I know I'm asking for a lot of handholding, but its just
for a boost in the right direction. thanks y'all

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)