aaa ASR-X - V - MPC-2000......... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             06-Apr-98  @  02:25 PM   -   ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

KIlo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

ok....... all these un-named and un-qualified little posts keep appearing from I presume MPC users saying that it is a superior machine.... so let's lay this to rest...... WHY ???........

Ok they have very similar specs....the akai is about 200 (UK) more expensive)... the akai seems to have a larger note memory in sequencer.... an extra midi buss for 32 channels..... the asr-x has scsi, synth, & fx as standard...the MPC doesnt.. they both read .WAV & midifiles, Roland and the ASR reads akai s-1000,1100....... so now.......

lets hear your REASONS for the claims....... as a sampler .......and as a sequencer ....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             06-Apr-98  @  04:23 PM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

MrSkul

and don't forget that the _optional_ Sampleverb FX board (for the MPC):

1) sucks
and
b) is more expensive than the SCSI board for the ASR-X (at least $300, prolly more like $350-400 - as opposed to under $200 for ASR SCSI)

which means if you want to compare both units on features for price:

a) you can't
and
2) the nearest match (feature-wise) puts the MPC at least $200 more expensive (although it must be more now with the price drop). and that's RAM and a SCSI Zip drive...

and speaking of RAM, when you max out the ASR-X you still get access to the original 2 MB that it shipped with - so total RAM is 34 MB (as opposed to the MPCs 32MB).

and don't even get me started on how good it sounds...

sorry i couldn't answer for the MPC. i did a lot of research before i purchased, and i simply could not allow myself to pay more for something that wasn't going to allow me to do what i really wanted to do. end of fucking story.

sk

Message 3/12             06-Apr-98  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

kilo

well mate actually sCSi AND THE sYNTH 20MB DANCE BOARD ARE NOW included..... SO LOOSE THE $200 FOR THE SCSI IT'S FREE !

Message 4/12             06-Apr-98  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

destroy2k

Ok, I played with both for a while at a store. I ended up with the MPC 2000 here is the main reason

INTERFACE

Yes, the interface on the MPC 2000 is way above. It has a huge LCD screen. Everythinkg is windows based. Dont call me a lamer for saying that but it is SOOOO good for live usage. Everything is accesable within like 2 button pushes!! IT IS GREAT

The sequencer is BIGGER!!

Also the 8-out board is PHAT!!
The ability to read .WAV files is a must!!
I mean, I played with both, I bought the MPC, and could not be happier.

It is just a GREAT MACHINE!!!

Message 5/12             07-Apr-98  @  12:37 AM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

bob

Yea it is. Much better than that other.....

Message 6/12             07-Apr-98  @  04:38 AM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Ensoniq always has a cult following, have you actually posted this question on one of their sites?

Picture it, you walk into a recording studio: ooh, 64 inputs on the board (like you'll use more than 20), aahhh, Lexicon 480 (yeah, maybe for films, but it's so transparent it's not enough of an effect for us), and (just dropped a load) MCI JH-24 sync'd to a 48-track Sony digital (hahaha, everything's sequenced). But people pay for this shit 'cause of that "studio vibe"; would this place have a regal-looking MPC-3000 or a piece of Ensoniq dj-kit. Oops, this is a site for cheap-ass 14 year-old's, forgot! "But an MPC- doesn't have that lo-fi buzz of my AWE-32!!!"

Message 7/12             07-Apr-98  @  02:51 PM   -   hey Hilevelt!

MrSkul

some of us cheap-asses are well over 20! ;)

Message 8/12             07-Apr-98  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

none

(as a reference point - i'm the one who posted the thread "asrx- a warning" - just want to let
everyone know i'm giving the asrx a fair shot).

for the person above who said that reading .wav's is a must - the asr-x can read wav's and
aif's too. i didn't have time to hook the asrx up through scsi but it still worked fine to just save
all my sounds to floppy and then stick the disk in my computer and edit the samples in soundforge.

also, i agree that the mpc2000 looks like it would be much better for live use(though I've not
got to play with an mpc much yet). if you are in fact able to mute sounds using the pads then
there is no question.

one of my big complaints about the asrx is the fact that because there are so few buttons it really
slows down the creative process when it comes to experimenting with tracks. there is no way to
drop out single drums sounds(unless you put each drum sound on a different track - or turn the
volume down for a drum) and even stuff on different tracks is not a one button click to mute.

HOWEVER - if someone added a peavy 1600(whatever) midi fader box i think the asrx would
be much improved. map each fader to one of the asr-x tracks and make each button a mute!
Now that would be wonderful. and really it might still put you under the price of an upgraded
mpc2000(i would say that you would at a minimum HAVE to add the effects card to the mpc).

Message 9/12             07-Apr-98  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

kilo

what I dont understand is.... you said in the other thread you bought an asr-x.... then said you only had it for a week.??.... i think i'd give a unit more time than that.... so what happened ?... did you return it to the shop after 1 week for a swap or refund ?......The other thing is... the mpc.... can you like sample and map samples over keyranges... layer them... synthesise each layer with different adsr's filtering etc etc... as for a sampling keyboard..... what I mean is... the mpc.... is it really a sampling drum box, or loop box or whatever or can it act as a real sampler and be played from a master keyboard melodically >.....

it seems to have stirred up alot of bad vibes....especially with that Bob guy... who just keeps appearing to add non-qualified comments of deep worth, such as... "it's shit"....... but I asked him to state why ?..... but he keeps just adding monosylabic slaggings....... c'mon Bob mate... you gave all this "I''m a pro and you lot are fuckers, assholes" etc.... give us a bit of PRO reasoning !......

Message 10/12             07-Apr-98  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: ASR-X - V - MPC-2000.........

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

My buddy uses an MPC-2000 alongside an ASR-10, he says the mpc can't layer sounds over any kind of keyrange, but he does use it as the master sequencer in his studio, over the ASR.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)