aaa a3k or asr-x? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: a3k or asr-x?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             07-Apr-98  @  10:37 PM   -   a3k or asr-x?

jet

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

it's a usual question here..anyway
i was going to buy a yamaha a300 sampler and was quite happy with my decision..
but now that asr-x with scsi and dance board has appeared.. so i'm really confused
here where i live they are in the same price range so i don't know which is best choise for me
here are some poimts that i already know:
yamaha can be expanded to 128mb vs 34mb
yamaha has better user interface
i don't need asr-x 's sequencer
yamaha can't do resampling
yamaha has no rom cards

thanks in advance

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             08-Apr-98  @  12:16 AM   -   urr??

MrSkul

i thought the A3000 _did_ do resampling...

as i understand it the A3000 is very easy to use, but also very deep (feature-wise) and sounds great. i know of at least one person laying out killer tracks on it. if you can, i would demo them both before making a decision. i went with the asr 'cus i needed an "all-in-one" box, but if i had only needed a sampler... well i would have at least checked the yamaha out first.

Message 3/12             08-Apr-98  @  02:01 AM   -   RE: a3k or asr-x?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

I've got 34 mb in my k2000; it's enough.

Message 4/12             08-Apr-98  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: a3k or asr-x?

kilo

yup...... the yamaha is the nutz......beleive me...my mates got one, and it's great !!!.... it does do re-sampling.... comes with fx....... and has some great facilities.... like you can play a cdrom into it... and it will listen and make a new sample for each cdrom segement it hears...... i was very impressed with the sound of it.... and the demo disk banks with synthesis seemed pretty damned good too.....it had some impressive sounds in it........

then again.... there's that new E5X thing.... it has an a-3000 in it...plus AN1-x modelling, and a digital synth system all blended together........ seems pretty cool........ although it's about 1700 or so over here, which is for the base components not bad really..... although hardly a budget item , if you discount the fact that a single workstation introduces it's own 'Sound' to all the different patches you create, it will do evrything you want really... in one unit... as will the ASR.... in a different way...at a different price..!!........(no arguements about quality here...just that either unit will allow you to make a finished track.......but it will stamp it's own sound over the whole composition....) there are many other units out there that can do the whole thing, depending on style....... and they all have their quirks, and all have their sound....... that is why i bang on about using seperates alot.... cos each unit has it's own 'sound' , outside of the type of sound the patch is set to produce..... but 100% shure........ a ASR-X or an E5X or whatever will allow you to do a finished song.....

i do agree that 128 mb ram is over the top..... and even 1mb is enuff to get a great track done.... but...with 128 mb (and a h/d attatched as a necessity)...you could quite easily use the a-3000 to do a whole song...including vocals... so on it's own, it'd be all you needed to get a rap, swing or whatever 'with-vocals' track done, complete with all drum loops, basslines, vocals, backing vocals, drum sounds ... etc etc.... I mean all the bigger samplers can do that for you.......after all........ a 32mb job gets you about 6 minutes at 44.1 in mono.....well plenty for loads of loops and a vocal or two..... then mix via the internal fx (if provided) or with seperate outs thru a mixer........ there's no need for a pc, mac, or anything....just add some hardware if you have it to sample new sounds...and a sequencer........which may be included in something like the asr, or the E5X, etc.....and off you go !!... (Tribe Called Quest did their first big-selling album totally on an old S770 roland unit....loops, vocals... the whole lot...).

change of subject.....
I've just been checking that new Waves compressor plugin for VST.......wicked !!!........ also that res filter 'Transmitter' plugin is pretty cool too !!.......i guess we are spoilt for choice......there's so many ways you can go...... but that is the thing..... it's not about.."The MPC is better than the ASR-X"...... it's total wank.....cos the MPC cannot act as a sampler proper.....you cant as the guy above says sample and map it over a keyboard, build layers, synthesise the layers etc...... so when someone like Becky comes on asking.... people just rant about there pet tastes.....so what if she went out and bought an MPC....... as a sampler.... she's be a bit let down when she wanted to use it as one.....

then there was the ESI business...... maybe there is some old ones in shops being knocked out cheap.... but CAN it be upgraded....??...... does it need the chips changing over ??....etc etc.......

one of my mates has the S-2000 and for me it's the better of the two when compared with the ESI..... but that is just my opinion...... in the end..... if you have the latest version of each.... there's not alot in it.... apart from more outs as standard on the ESI....... I just added the note about the ASR, cos it CAN function as a proper sampler...... but gives you ALOT of FREE extra's !....... so for a starter sytem for someone....it could be well worth looking at...... cos if they have nothing at all...... it givers them a synth too....... and a sequencer etc......but when people start to haul units into the arena like the MPC... just because they see the asr as a similar physical unit, (a box with a sequencer, sampling and pads)........ it just isn't the same thing....... so it gets hauled into the equation with mucho slagging by so-called professional like Bob...... well he may be a 'professional'..... but to recommend a unit as a sampler...which is basically a sampling drum box (albeit an EXCELLENT ONE AND AN EXCELLENT SEQUENCER)........ it's WRONG..... and confusing to newbiers loking out for kit.... (That's why I rarely listen to people who call themselves "Professional".... as invariably it simply means... "I work with expensive kit...the OS of which I know how to use...thus i got a job in a pro-studio" !!

so it's all this music biz kit myth crap.... y'know.. Akai is 'Industry standard', and all the mythological crap like that......

as i said..... before.... a few years back you couldn't have your studio join as a 'professional' industry association member unless you ran 30ips 2" tape format.... ...

next we had the "PC's are crap...only Mac's are serious and...industry standard".........

then we have the "Analog rulez...digital is a pile 'o' shite" thing........ bollox and yet more bollox....... a mate of mine is at a sound course at college..... she asked the multimedia tutor about PC's and was told....... "well, 90% of all crashes are with PC's !!!!!!"........ hilarious !!..... and he's a college tutor !!....... the fact that Mac's have dropped last year taking only 4&..!!....yes 4% of the market, is maybe immaterial ??........ I mean..... even in the multi-media and graphics arena....(traditionally Mac's stronghold)....they have dropped to a measly 6% of the market last year..... so yes....... pc's statistically show a higher fuck-up rate.... but look at the market share for gods sake.....

It seems bizarre that here we all are, loving a collective style of music that by definition was created by it''s originaters on NON-STANDARD kit (at the time)....... almost exclusively most dance styles were originated by poor people with limited funds who grabbed cheap kit that was considered no good.... and made some tunes...... so now it seems daft to me to be always banging on about the so called established standards.........

we tend to loose sight of older stuff and it's capabilities..... but while we (me included) all are concentating on p2 system spec's, vst, mega sysnths and samplers etc...... we mustn't forget that an old dx-100 or P60 with 16-64 mb ram will happily run an 8 track h/d s/w no problem..... people think they must have VST or CWalk 6/7 or whatever...... then they have to get a faster machine etc....... but if stereo (2 track mono) audio out from a pc for a midi & h/d s/w is enuff for you, then use an older s/w version....... Our live studio still has an old P100 happily running Cwalk V5 thru a tahiti stereo card..... and you can easily create songs on it, even with multi-partt vocals and guitars etc on this system..... yet to buy it now would cost peanuts !!!......

right..... i'll shut up now........

Message 5/12             08-Apr-98  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: a3k or asr-x?

Geordy

What do you get if you cross a 128 note polyphonic synth with VL synthesis, AN1x Synthesis, A3000 style sampling capabilities, AWM2 PCM synthesis, multiple I/O, SCSI, and add to it a completely new type called FDSP which can emulate anything you want it to (i.e. FM), and then add a massive sequencer, and make it available as a rack mount unit as well as a keyboard?

Well.... the Yamaha ex-5. Never seen one in the flesh, but by the looks of it, its a monster. Check Yamaha's site
If you're gonna buy an all-in-one synth with sampling, this is really an option!

Message 6/12             08-Apr-98  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: a3k or asr-x?

KILO

AHA.....ACTUALLY, SOMEONE SENT ME AN RA FILE OF IT.... hang about......

THE YAMAHA EX-5 -----

CLICK HERE

Message 7/12             08-Apr-98  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: a3k or asr-x?

BUT..... IS IT REALLY ANY BETTER AS A PIECE OF MUSIC THAN THIS FILE I DID IN A HALF HOUR WITH A DB50XG AND CAKEWALK WITH A SAMPLE LOOP......

CLICK HERE

Message 8/12             08-Apr-98  @  09:28 PM   -   RE: a3k or asr-x?

Geordy

That somebody was me, Kilo..........thank you

Message 9/12             08-Apr-98  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: a3k or asr-x?

Geordy

ps Your file does sound veeeeery good! But hey...you're a professional, you could get a good song out of banging on a toiletseat.....

Message 10/12             08-Apr-98  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: a3k or asr-x?

kilo

fack off........ proffessional my butt..!!..... mate... i'm just a person making music like evryone else.... thanx fer the file

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)