aaa Controlling a Drumstation in a live set - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             13-Apr-98  @  04:37 AM   -   Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

skank

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I want to use my Novation Drumstation in a live set, but I don't know what to use to control it. I'm looking for something that's like a mc303 or raveolution 309, but without the samples, just the control. So far an Alesis MMT-8 looks the best, but it's still not exactly what I want. I'd use a mc303, but I heard its midi control is horrible. Please post your suggestions. Thanks. Chris

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             14-Apr-98  @  11:16 AM   -   RE: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

kilo

but...er.... the drumstation has knobs ?.... so why need a controller ?...

Message 3/11             14-Apr-98  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

none

roland tr505

Message 4/11             14-Apr-98  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

kilo

aha..... to programme and playback the beats you mean !??.... i'd go for a TR-707... you can get them for about 100 quid... (chea)... they have the old Tr programming interface... (like the TR-909/808/606),... and they are fully midi compatible....

Message 5/11             15-Apr-98  @  04:17 AM   -   RE: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

self_osc

I have to dsagree Kilo because the 707 program interface is better than the 808/909/606. Why? the 707 have the Roland drum grid thats shows you various instuments position in the pattern at the same time, unlike the one drum LED approach of the other TRs.

Dan

Message 6/11             15-Apr-98  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

self_osc

........and another option could be the Kawai Q80 sequencer, but it's a more expensive item.
The Q80 can work in a pattern-like mode called "Motif", and you can have up to 100 motiffs in memory at the same time and change its in real time. Also you have 32 channels with 8 realtime mute buttons that can be setted to mute/unmute one of 4 sets of channels (1-8
/ 9-16 / 17-24 / 25-32). The thing have a disk drive and, of course, you can sequence more than your Drumstation with it.
The last version (called the Q80EX) have more memory and can read/write .MID files from/in DOS formated disks.
Both have extensive sequence edit functions for a hardware sequencer.
But, again it cost more that a 707 and you lost the drum grid.

Dan

Message 7/11             15-Apr-98  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

self_osc

........and another option could be the Kawai Q80 sequencer, but it's a more expensive item.
The Q80 can work in a pattern-like mode called "Motif", and you can have up to 100 motiffs in memory at the same time and change its in real time. Also you have 32 channels with 8 realtime mute buttons that can be setted to mute/unmute one of 4 sets of channels (1-8
/ 9-16 / 17-24 / 25-32). The thing have a disk drive and, of course, you can sequence more than your Drumstation with it.
The last version (called the Q80EX) have more memory and can read/write .MID files from/in DOS formated disks.
Both have extensive sequence edit functions for a hardware sequencer.
But, again it cost more that a 707 and you lost the drum grid.

Dan

Message 8/11             15-Apr-98  @  04:38 AM   -   RE: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

skank

Thanks a lot for all your help. One more thing, do the 707 or 505 have real time muting?

Chris

Message 9/11             15-Apr-98  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set -

none

707 VS. 505

Don't get the 707! It can only transmit midi while in song mode, not in pattern mode.
This is a real pain in the ass - the 505 can trasmit midi note data all the time. However
the 707 does have better internal sounds than the 505(neither are all that good however  

I'd go for the 505 because the 707 problems with only transmitting midi note data in
song mode is a real pain in the ass. plus the 505 should be a bit cheaper.

Message 10/11             16-Apr-98  @  02:13 AM   -   RE: Controlling a Drumstation in a live set

kilo

really ?.... were there different versions at all ?.... it's years since i used on regularly... could have sworn it did it..

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)