aaa "ALL IN ONE BOX"--is it possible? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: "ALL IN ONE BOX"--is it possible?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             25-Apr-98  @  06:24 AM   -   Contender #1: Ensoniq's ASR-X

ist

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Advice needed:

I don't own any gear and was looking for a good starter kit that I could also make full tracks with. I was deciding between the Roland MC-505 and the ASR-X, chose the ASR-X. I got the ASR-X for ~$1500 w/dance card and SCSI. Questions:

1) What do you feel is the best ALL-IN-ONE box? (You need not stick to the two above)
2) What is a good piece in that price range that will function as a start to a collection?
3) What do you like better: ASR-X or 505?

Thanks so much for your replies,
Peace and happy music making.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             25-Apr-98  @  06:29 AM   -   Contender #1--Cont'd

ist

Sorry, forgot to mention that I will be using it for dance music, mostly techno.

Message 3/14             25-Apr-98  @  07:40 AM   -   RE:

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

`But why would you want an all in one box? ..... I mean, different machines have different character... I think that an all-in-one box is not only a bad idea, but impossible to make great music with.... And, the thing about different shit is, you've got, not only different sounds, but different interfaces, too! And the UI of a machine can be inspiring in different ways.....

Message 4/14             25-Apr-98  @  10:07 PM   -   RE:

bob

impossible ? You're so full of shit. Do you know how many hip-hop albums have been done solely on akai MPCs' ?

Message 5/14             26-Apr-98  @  02:29 AM   -   RE:

Sedusa

Aren't you the same Bob that was trying to get my goat before? .... Anyways, I find inspiration in everything, and getting an all in one box is definitely self deception.... Don't get me wrong, some units will be workhorses and do a lot, but you need some variety.... If you're dead set on an all in one kinda thang, a sampler or sampler/workstation wqould probably be better, as all those sounds you don't have would be sampleable (Tho if it's old analog, never as tweakable-on-the-fly) and I personally am opposed to a box that has "canned" soundsa for a particular genre of music...(MC505, etc) Take it forward, brotha!! The sounds people are using now are gonna be old hat.... Don't depend on some japanese corporation to decide what sounds go in your tracks, get out there and make your own!!!

Message 6/14             26-Apr-98  @  02:54 AM   -   RE:

Houseman

If I was making my first purchase (today), I would definitly want an "all in one" box. This way, as I grew out of the sounds within that box, I could move on to other boxes.

What box would I choose? Hmm...

1. New Yamaha workstation (can't remember model)
2. ASR-X (sequencer not all that great, 32mg rom)
3. MPC-2000 (better sequencer, no onboard rom)
4. MC-505 & a cheap used sampler

Message 7/14             26-Apr-98  @  03:36 AM   -   This all sounds good so far

ist

Hey guys, I'm back.

Sedusa, I think your point about not letting Roland decide on all your sounds is a good one. I was trying to put my finger on that as well...it has good sounds, (not great), but very constricting.

Houseman, the new Yamaha workstation (actually called the EX5) is a GREAT option, a little too expensive for now. The thing is, I am going to be building from the base of the ASR-X. Which, as it seems by people's analysis, is a reasonably good start to my gear collection.

I like to think that creativity is all that's necessary for a great song; do we really need $10K in gear to write great tracks? What do you think?

Message 8/14             26-Apr-98  @  04:40 AM   -   RE:

Sedusa

Nope, I don't think that you need 10K worth of gear to make great music!!! I think you just gotta build up your studio, and go for cheap used shit whenever possible..... (Cheap pricewise, not quality wise) .... I'm a great believer in used gear.... I think that the thing about all the big magazines and such is that they're always plugging new products as the "Next Big Thing" kinda deal...... Like, if you want analog sounds, don't shell out the 1600 bucks or whatever for a JP8k or a Nord Lead.... YOu could pick up 3 or 4 vintage real analogs for that.... Or you could cut and paste and get an entire setup on that dough! I mean, get some stuff that sounds good, and stick with it.. It doesn't matter that it's not less than a year old... And things being made this year are going to be sonically limited in that they are being designed to make a particular sound right now.... We want gear that we can grow with, and 4 years from now, people aren't going to be listening to your tracks going "God, I heard that sound in 1997 SO many times, this is just old..."..... I've never bought a piece of gear new, and I don't think that I'll ever sell any of my gear.... I think that I've invested in some quality shit that I'll keep whole life (As long as it doesn't get set on fire or anything...) Gear madness is a disease... Get your stuff, learn it, and hopefully it's stuff that you can grow with and vice versa....

Message 9/14             26-Apr-98  @  06:49 PM   -   RE:

DIGS

Hey Sedusa,
Do you sequence with your old gear?do you use a cv convert? Does any of your gear have midi conversions?Basically what I'm asking is how do you get it done?That is kind of an interesting question,I think i'll post it!!!
DIGS

Message 10/14             27-Apr-98  @  12:27 AM   -   RE:

Sedusa

I sequence the MIDI shit, but I am forced to actually play my analog because I'm a cheapskate.... One of these days I'll actually buy a MIDI -> CV convertor, But for now I'm pretty happy just playing my synth and recording it... It's also forcing me to be a much better keyboard player than I was! It's another thing, really... The great thing (OK, one of the many great things) about analog is that it's UI forces you to put your hands on it and play.... And I create loops with the analog, too... And then I can always take 'em into a prog and fuck 'em up with fx... I also use it for individual beeps, stabs, percussive noises, etc, which I archive and can sequence as samples at my leisure..... Also, actually playing your instrument lets you in to one of those all time cool things... When you make a mistake and record it and it's perfect...... Mistakes are inspiring, too.. It makes my head go in directions it didn't before, some times it brings out harmonies I didn't hear before, etc.....

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)