aaa high end - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: high end

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Original Message                 Date: 12-Jan-02  @  09:34 PM   -   high end

Pongoid

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

a buddy of mine is about to invest in a really nice studio, and I'm looking for info on various old, warm, high end consoles. Not like SSL/Gamble type prices, but definately over the $100,000 mark. I know some of the stuff below that, but I'm kinda in the dark on the really high end. I know convertors, and the digital medium fairly well, but need more info on what, where and how much, before sinking re

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 101/144             27-May-02  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: high end

milan

Link?: Link

ha! didnt even notice that "this thread is 100"  

Message 102/144             27-May-02  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: high end

Brett

well I found this link for a book on building your own la-2a for around 500 with identical parts. he said he couldn't do the fairchild because

"One of the tubes, the 6386 is in short supply, is no longer made, there is no real equivelent and the 670 uses 8 of them in addition to other tubes. Additionally, there are 7 transformers in it, some of which are no longer made (and transformers are expensive)."

si i guess this is why no one has done a modern knock of of the unit.

The internals on the la-2a look easy enough to put one together with jsut a soldering iron a drill and some needle nose plyers. I am only aprehensive about testing it if it doesn't work the first power up because of a fault in a part or somthing. anyway, here is the link.

and milan, what are some of the other modern 1176 types of limiters available? I am looking into a stereo unit if possible. I saw a la22 on ebay for under a $1000. Can't find any info on the unit though

Message 103/144             27-May-02  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: high end

milan

do a search, innit. i know some were featured in SOS, so you might wanna check out thir website. i *think* they might go for about 1000USD. there was a purple one which is cute  

not sure if anyone does the 1178, which is the stereo version. never used la2a myself... heard its suposed to be good for trashing drums amongst other things.

happy window shopping.

Message 104/144             28-May-02  @  04:43 AM   -   RE: high end

Brett

Link?:  No link

Window shopping... right! I spend hours at work dicking around on the net looking at e-bay and every where else drooling over highend processing and mixing gear. It used to be synths, now it's vintage dynamics processors and high dollar desks.

Message 105/144             28-May-02  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: high end

j-type

Link?:  Link

the neve 33609 is still available (it's in the HHB catalogue) and I remember an Underworld interview in SOS where it was rated very highly indeed. Looks rather uninspiring, but the best gear often is, e.g. the Fairchilds look like small ovens.

Message 106/144             28-May-02  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: high end

Brett

I know some of the old stuff was just a few knobs, but they do what they do well. The new things are the more versatility is engineered in. We end up with units that can do so many diferant thing, but you end up with a all in one that is not the best at anything.

I looked into the joe Meek line, and the Twinq is right up my alley. Dual stereo/mono opto comp, with mic pre's, and 3 bands of eq. Nice for $700us. I wanted somting I could track and mix through. This is nice solution if it lives up to what I read about it.

Message 107/144             28-May-02  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: high end

milan

oh yeah, TwinQ is bound to do you good. very versatile.

Message 108/144             29-May-02  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: high end

Brett

Link?:  No link

reading some of the reviews . They all give good props to the compressor section and the pre's, saying the eq is a littel on the minimal side. But it's an all in one solution which is what i need right now. I still may build a LA2a just to do it. It really does look easy.

Message 109/144             29-May-02  @  07:54 PM     Edit: 29-May-02  |  08:11 PM   -   RE: high end

Brett

"that is one expensive looking chair."

Herman Miller design . Never sat in one but they are supposed to be the ultimate ergonomic experience. They are $1000 or more new and aroun $500 on e-bay. The "Aeron Chair"

Message 110/144             29-May-02  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: high end

xoxos

well it'd take a lot of prisses like sweetwater to put their asses on somethnig like that. round here you get a milk crate or a cinderblock if you're lucky and you'll like it.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

There are 144 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)