aaa Which is the best virtual analogue? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Which is the best virtual analogue?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 08-Feb-98  @  08:25 PM   -   Which is the best virtual analogue?

steve_hunt

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I've got a prophecy and I love it's sounds - but it's a bugger to program (despite a degree in electronics) and it's monophonic.
I want a virtual poly that can sound like a Yamaha GS1 eg ELP Pirates and give Jupiter type brassy synth sounds, squelchy pads etc.
All the modules/boards I know of have imperfections as follows. Someone put me right or I'll have to wait for a 16 note poly JP8000 with 3 oscillators, 5 octaves or a rack...
1. JP8000: Only 2 oscillators, poxy small keyboard with no aftertouch, only 8 notes, sounds a bit weak without the trick effects.
2. Nord Rack 2: Not enough knobs to twiddle, no effects, expensive but not out of the question, no lcd for patch names etc. Only 2 oscillators.
3. Microwave XT: Not really virtual modelling but so what? Only 2 oscillators. Never heard one - will it squelch and fart like I want - the downloadable demos all show the great wavetable stuff but not it's normal filter charecteristics. Is it the best of both worlds or does the wavetable stuff disguise the lack of decent filters (like my Ensoniq VFX - ok I know the Microwave has resonance but so has my SY99 and that sounds very digital). Great orange box though!
4. Access Virus. Seems to be the latest thing and I've not heard even a demo. Only 2 oscillators. Yeah I know it's got a sub but the spec sounds like it can't be detuned from Osc 1 - that's only like having a beefier waveform for Osc 1 - it can't drift in and out of phase. No ring mod I think.
5. Yam AN1X. Not enough knobs although you can get at most parameters quite quickly. Poxy colour scheme - looks like a toy. Only 2 oscillators. It seems to get slagged off a lot - is this because Yamaha are out of favour or is there a good reason? Nice big aftertouch board.
6. Novation Supernova. At last 3 oscillators! Looks a bit fiddly in a 3U rack but good display and clever access to lots of parameters quickly using well laid out switches. But made by who? How well made? What kind of support/upgrades/second hand market...? I've read a few comments that the Waldorf Pulse sounds a lot better than Novation's Basssatation and the Supernova seems to be 16 of those. Does that mean the Microwave will sound better than the Supernova? I certainly don't want to compromise sound quality even for that 3rd oscillator and 6 more voices...

What views and experience out there?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/11             25-Apr-98  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: Which is the best virtual analogue?

test

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

ieu ediud siud sidis

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)