aaa 1980s - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: 1980s

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 14-Oct-10  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: 1980s

sitar

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Throughout the 80s I was full into playing the sitar. Classical Indian music was pretty much all I listened to but every now and then I wound up in a club with friends. There was a club in Manhattan called Visage where people got dressed to the hilt to go to and  I suppose the bouncers outside decided who got in. I was given a VIP pass to get in whenever I wanted. There was a club in midtown called Danceteria. Danceteria consisted of 3 floors. On one floor, I think it was the 2nd, there was rock music. One floor up war disco I think, and one floor up from that was techno. I didn't even know what techno was but I liked it and I remember not wanting to go back to the other floors after I got there with my friends. There was something about the beats and the sounds that I really dug.

Those clubs were far and few between for my attendance though. I wasn't accustomed to getting home at 5 AM. One Sunday morning I decide to go to the big Tower Records in the village to look for the kind of music I remember hearing in Danceteria. I tried to describe it to a couple of floor employees. They didn't seem to know what I was talking about and I couldn't really describe the music in any intelligible way. One finally said he thought he knew what I meant. I went home with a CD called "Disco" by Pet Shop Boys. It wasn't really what I was looking for but it had beats. It was too disco-y though. I remember 2 songs from that CD, "In the Night" and "West Side Girls". 

Soon I found a small vinyl shop. I left there with a vinyl by George Kranz called "Din Da Da". It also wasn't what I was looking for but I liked it.

I gave up looking. About a year before the 21st century a Brit friend turned me onto some music....Orbital, Underworld, the Chemical Brothers and others. I had forgotten about Din Da Da and my search for something I could only vaguely describe until a couple of nights ago when I made a post in the tracks forum and mentioned the song. Now I'm having fun writing tracks. Took me long enough hehe.   

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/11             23-Oct-10  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: 1980s

Malcolm Jeffery

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

MMM  Google it Kilo, its sinister, when a group of people follow you organised style until you become aware that things are amis, and keep making shit happen, until you think how come i have so much bad luck, always having run ins with people, they sometimes send letters to all you neighbours and employers saying your a sex offender, bumping into u in the street, breaking in to your flat but taking nothing, loads of people get this and the police think your nuts, your friends think your parnoid ect, its destroyed some people completely, have a google, so question is , are you ok xoxos?
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)