aaa SAMPLER ?..... CHECK THE ASR-X AGAIN - NOW !! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: SAMPLER ?..... CHECK THE ASR-X AGAIN - NOW !!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 03-Apr-98  @  03:05 PM   -   SAMPLER ?..... CHECK THE ASR-X AGAIN - NOW !!

KILO

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Regarding the ESI V S-2000 thang........hold up tho....... the ASR-x now comes with scsi and the dance expansion board AS STANDARD !!..... and it's around for less than a K....... c'mon.... it's gotta be a better option than the ESI fer fucks sake....... plus it'll read .wav files...&. midi-files...ALL YOU NEED is a cheap scsi card...(or with a P2 ASUS board you get a scsi controller built in !!)..... and you get a docking workstation.... with ability to read akai S-1000/1100 cdroms from your pc drive...archive, edit and manage .WAV samples & midifiles to & from the ASR-X........ and you geta 24 mb full synth section. with res' filters, Lfo's envelopes etc etc...... 2 multi-fx processors........ FULL resampling of EVERY setting.....EVEN OF INCOMING AUDIO.... including any midi loops that are playing from the sequencer, complete with ALL controller moves, AND FX realtime moves as well........ I CANNOT see it being beaten... plus..... it can plug into your pc for day to day use... and then un-dock for live gigs..... are you mad to still think of any of the other 2 ??...., where SCSI is option... synthesis & filters is option..... NO resampling... NO synth.. NO playable pads... NO sequencer........ NO FX.... etc etc..... you people must be nutz to ignore it.......read the ASR-X page again.... then remeber the price is LESS than a K now in the Uk..... and the scsi & dance-board are INCLUDED !!!!!!!!!...........

the way i see it..... it's a superior sampler with all the stuff included that the others make you pay extra for....... AND you geta 26mb rom synth, excellent sequencer for live gigs and 2 FX units AND playable pads..... thrown in as well for nowt !!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/11             06-Apr-98  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: SAMPLER ?..... CHECK THE ASR-X AGAIN - NOW !!

kilo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

facking hell !!.......what a commotion........ ok.....first....

1. I never said scsi was standard.... i just said it was on the asus boards.....

2. well now....... first up Bob..... maybe everyone here is poor.... or at least not a RICH zuper echte producer as you huh >??.... with dat''s and MPC's and Wizzo computers costing thousands with Pro-Tools........ mate... I have all that shit. (but not pro-tools thank god !!)........ and it's not worth a wank frankly..... I can get a great tune.....(AND POSSIBLY ALOT OF THE TIME A BETTER TUNE)... when i use just a few of the cheaper items I own or a bit of cheap s/w...... so ok... the Kurzweil is a superior synth.. to a DX-100 ??....is it ???....... but er..... I hardley ever use the K..... my dx-100 is used more often that the K-2000.......also, you are comparing stuff costing XX times more than an MPC...... and what the fuck is wrong with older or cheaper kit...??......... it's the basis of every dance style since 1980......

thirdly... dont come her saying people know shit..... I' am willing to listen to your OPINION..... and er.... that;s all it is.... so notice I'm not saying it's shit.....

also...4-thly.... In case you lost the plot... we are discussing the ASR-X with the ESI-32 and the S-2000..... now mate..... whilst i know the S-2000 & ESI are fine units....... and capable of sampling fine..... there's NO WAY on this earth you are going to persuade me that the ASR-X is less a sampler than the other 2....... sorry mate ........ c'mon.......what are you thinking........ please explain why the ASR-x is a shit sampler compared to the ESI or S-2000...??... list it's shit qualities over which the ESi or S-2000 are better.. ??..... pleeeeeze....... we are waiting......??..... or is that based on the fact it sold less units ??

5. in case you didnt notice...... you say the mpc timing is tighter....... well mate... one of the ADVANTAGES I SAID WHICH MAKES THE ASR-X A GOOD BUY OVER THE OTHER 2...... is that you also get a hardware sequencer..... with a better hardware clock...(and it plays looped patterns within songs ..as your MPC does.....er ....dont they all ??.... that is how a hardware sequencer always works !!! )......... and you can DOCK the ASR-x to the pc or mac...... transfer midi & samples to & from it.... (with NO optional add-ons required cos scsi it's free, included !!!)....... then use the ASR_X clock to control the audio section of the PC or MAC for mixdown...... now that is a facility you WONT get on the ESI or S-2000..... (or FX....or scsi or a 26mb rom synth or re-sampling)....

See mate this site is for HOME studio recording....... like where 80-90% of ALL dance is made...and where 100% of it all originated as new styles........ it isnt originated on Pro-Tools -3 systems in big studio mate !!......... so er.... bear in mind that we are talking about the BEST facilities a person can get for their hard earned bucks..... NOT sitting in a Pro facility smugly slagging off cheaper products !!!!!!!!llllll

lemme ask you this........ are you thinking of going up to PT-4 ??..... to get a 24 bit system ??....... well......... FM radio is only up to about 15K....... and all regular clubbers are deaf above about 15 - 17 K........and the average club-system isn't very accurate....... so what's the better headroom for then ???......... that is why i dont bother with 20-20K fx units...... no-one's gonna hear anything above 10K anyway !!!.....or are you gonna say now that an old Roland Space-Echo is shite cos it's got a limited bandwidth ??........ and multi-editable-wide-bandwidth-digital is better right !!??....

I'd also say that sales aint evrything....surely you're not THAT stupid or do you worship the capatalist western bullshit !!!........ I dont notice many BETA video systems in shops nowadays...... but it's a TOTALY superior system to VHS........AS YOU KNOW, OR SHOULD DO......it just sold less than VHS, as it was promoted more......

and you say... "Ever heard of a DAT ???"....... well mate.....HERE IS A FACT...... DAT tape machines are a FAILED consumer format........THAT'S RIGHT !!....FAILED......AS IN - THEY WENT ON THE MARKET AS A CONSUMER PRODUCT AND NO-ONE BOUGHT THEM !!.....THEY BOMBED.....THEY DROPPED OUT.... THEY FUCKED UP..... THEY WERE NOT SELLING !!..... SURPRISED ??...... DAT machine's were introduced as a consumer format.... and didnt sell, so they were adopted by studio's as back-up machines for the 1/2 inch 2-track, or a MUCH cheaper alternative................... DOES THAT MAKE THEM SHIT ????........ (er.....you're NOT going to now tell me that as a PRO engineer you aren't aware that a 2-track 1/2 inch Studer running SR is FAR superior to a DAT master huh ??).

IF YOU ARE DUMB ENUFF TO SOLEY EVALUATE THE WORTH OF A PRODUCT BASED ON ITS SALES FIGURES THEN I GUESS MCDONALDS HAMBURGERS ARE VERY NUTRICIOUS AND GOOD TO EAT THEN !!....... RIGHT ???...............so we'd better all go out and buy a GROOVEBOX.....A SPICE GIRLS CD.......AND A MACKIE-D BURGER........OH YEAH..... AND A PAIR OF AIR-MAX & a 'DJ' record bag to walk around with !!!....... RIGHT !!!??......... SHEEEEEEEESH !!

FINALLY I'D ADD a little anecdote........

You said: ".....I work professionally and the overwhelming consensus is
that it's shit. "..........

ahhhhhh !!....the magical "overwhelming concensus" thing..... hmmmmm...... now... You use pro-tools right ?!!........I seem to remember a time when the professional recording studio's association's, and the industry in general was telling us that anything other that 30 IPS 2" 24 track tape format was shit !!...and you couldn't join unless you had one right !!........ changed our minds a bit tho... haven't we !!!...... hah hah..... i remember this time i got signed to one of the UK's top management companies.... and was told........ "we need you to give us a version of the track on 2" - 24 track tape."........

I asked "Why ??"........ and was told..... "OH... that's just the way it's done in the industry.... everyone uses it"........ I said...... "No they DON'T !!...and i don't wan't to !!!!"........ they said..... "Y'know..... you dont really know what you are talking about do you ?!!"........ anyway....... I wonder if they STILLL stick to this idea today 3 years later ??.....d'you think they reject stuff done in pro-tools studio's ??.......... I FUCKING DOUBT IT.......... COS THE FACT IS MATE...... WHEN WE DELIVERED THE FINAL MASTERS TO PROFILE RECORDS, THEY SAID.......

"WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU DONE TO IT !!!....??........ IT SOUNDED GREAT BEFORE !!!"........

I handed them over the Fostex 1/4" 8 track version 2 days later....... "WICKED MATE.!!"......they said.... "What did you do ??..... it sounds great now !!!"..........

I said carelessly........ "Oh.... I just re-mixed it !!".........I didn't have the heart to tell 'em it was done on the fostex in the front room at home !!!!"...... AND THEY ACCEPTED IT AS THE FINISHED PRODUCTION MASTER !!!!!!!!!!.....(Emax-1, Hondo-bass-guitar, DX-100, Fostex 8 track & Korg-DDD-1 drum box , total kit list !!!)....... so er......... well there has to be a moral in this somewhere !

blimey.......whatever next.??...... we'll have Bruce Springsteen releasing million selling albums on a 4 track cassette Porta-Studio soon ?...... (he did!!).....

Look...... the ESI is a great sampler for the money...... the s-2000 is also a great sampler for the money..... but all i said is.......... for maybe a max of a few hundred more, you get ALL those extra facilities....... which if you bought them as add-on's / upgrades for the other 2 would bring the price way over that of the ASR-x..... and even then, you wouldn't get the synth, .... the sequencer..... or the FX....... and the other 2 don't re-sample !!...... which is a VERY creative tool....... and FASTER by far than setting up external FX....(IF you have them !!)... twatting around transfering to dat..... transfering back....... getting an extra 2 X ADA noise from the conversions etc etc.......

that's all........ now....... please tell me WHY the general concensus is that they are no good..??....... and who is this "general concensus" made by ??...... did you do a survey ??"........

PS.......we'd also love to get a URL where we can listen to your "professional" tracks mate.......Us "Fuckers" all want to see how not to make boring tracks..... and be as great and professional as you ......

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)