aaa 100% digital recording on PC - myth ? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: 100% digital recording on PC - myth ?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 11-Dec-98  @  11:01 PM   -   100% digital recording on PC - myth ?!?

j.bushell

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hello,

Finally taking the plunge and getting rid of my old studio setup. You know the score, aging Seck Mixer, multi-track tape machine, Roland sampler, VFX synth, Quadraverbs, Atari computer etc. Want to know if its possible to have all this on a PC with a MIDI keyboard, mastering to CD-R, working entirely in the digital domain.

Been thinking about getting a fast PII 450 PC computer with Cubase VST, Yamaha SW1000XG, Gigasampler 1.5 etc. Anyone out there know if this is a good set up and what further equipment I would need. Do I need another sound card and which one? Is this setup a pure digital affair or is there some analogue pathway still creeping in somewhere? How do the Cubase, Yamaha card and the Gigasampler integrate together ?

Julian

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/12             07-Jan-99  @  02:07 AM   -   RE: 100% digital recording on PC - myth ?

adams04

I have upgraded my mobo and cpu to ABITBH6/Celeron ,overclocked to 450 no prob.I have 128 SDRAM,2 drives etc.
The next big issue for me is to replace my soundcard, a Synth/Sampler DtD DSP type_MaxiHSP64.
OK,it was very cheap,i lrearned a lot,but i need to know now about offline FX processing,so i can be sure that i will be able to record midi to Wav,and Vocals from my Folio without any pops or jumps.

I am just doing demo quality;all music done in midi,vocals recorded over.
So,i still need a good Sampler card,but i may start using an external synth as it has FX,so no more cpu hassle there.
I still need a rock solid sequencer that converts midi to wav no problem,and records wavs from the folio no problem.My present sequencer QuartzAudioMaster has its own Plug-Ins which are cool,i need to know about hassles using FX in real time and how to add FX offline.

I,m looking around at APS or Project Studio,but i get the feeling that ALL these cards have trouble actually synching and recording 6 minute songs error-free!

I can,t afford a Roland V,not sure if a soundcard stays in sync with it anyway;;;;

Can anyone help me find a card or gear to hook up to my PC that will let me record DtD without errors?

Thanks Carey(mutant)

Message 12/12             12-Jan-99  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: 100% digital recording on PC - myth ?

Julian B

Alright then !

Thanks for all the advice everyone's been giving me. It helped to unravel some of the mysteries of PC digi recording.

I've dug deep in my pocket and splashed out:

Pentium PC450 128Mb RAM with 2x7Mb 7200rpm hard discs.
Cubase VST, plug-in effects etc.

Yamaha CDRW4416 CDR drive (has to be bought ! Lots of money though)

Yamaha SW1000XG
AKG C1000S mic with Behringer 802a mixer
MIDI 76key master keyboard (my VFX has broken down yet again!)

Now I've still got my old P200 still kicking about, so I plan to put a SoundBlaster Live card in there and play about with some of the sofware synths.

For sampling, I think what Rodsta said is practical. My Roland S750 is just too good! I am going to upgrade the memory to its max of 18Mb RAM.

I think I've covered all of the basics. With all this gear for less than I thought I'd be spending, I feel spoilt. Wonders of modern technology!

Julian

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)