aaa Multitimral FZ1 - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Multitimral FZ1

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 11-Apr-00  @  01:52 PM   -   Multitimral FZ1

andybundy

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I've just brushed the dust off of my FZ1 and decided to try and use it with my PC. I'm running Cubase 3.7. This is basic stuff but I can't get it to play as a multitimbral instument. I have a bank set up with sounds on different midi channels but can only get one sound to play (on channel 1). Is it a setting in cubase or do i need to be in a certain 'mode' on the FZ1. I would be really grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Andy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/12             30-May-00  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: Multitimral FZ1

www.varjan1

Link?:  No link

Delete message for May 25,2000 since
I found the "Conversion tool from object
file to FZ-1 Program File" software.

Message 12/12             31-May-00  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Multitimral FZ1

NoteIt

Link?: Link

Hi Vic,

I tried sending you an email at your address, Notelt@Juno.com, but got a failure notice.

Don't know what happened. Please try again. Sorry about that. The price I pay for free e-mail I guess ;)

Therefore I am posting the letter on this forum. Thanks much for the info. Your geocities site is excellent.

Thank you for your kind words.

I would greatly appreciate if you or any else could answer some additional questions: 1) Does the McClintoch PC-FZ Dump Cable Box use the FZ's DB25 parallel port or MIDI port?

The PC-FZ Dump Cable box uses the FZ's DB25 parallel port (connects between the computer's printer port and the FZ). This only works under DOS.

2) Is this cable a faster method than the "Goranssions FZ-File transfer utility via MIDI you described?

Yes. A 1 meg download/upload via MIDI is about 12-13 minutes. Via the PC-FZ Dump cable it is about 60-90 seconds. If you are going to be moving more than 3 or 4 samples you can quickly see the advantage of using the cable.

3) Where can I purchase the McClintoch cable or obtain DIY plans to build one?

You have to build the cable yourself. It is a simple project (just connecting wires) but take your time building it. And triple check all connections before using it. The plans are included in Jeff's zipped DOS version of FZ-Dump.

4) Would it be possible (or be worth the time & effort) to connect a Parallel Zip drive or parallel CD-ROM drive (if such an animal exists) to the FZ's parallel port, and write some Optional software for the FZ that would at least allow 1-way sample "dumps" from the Zip or CD to the FZ?

Parallel version CDs do exist. It would probably be a fairly difficult task to do something like this. I think it would be MUCH easier to get a old laptop (even an old 386 would work nicely) and build the PC-FZ Dump cable. Parallel ZIPs are around $100- you should be able to find a used 386 laptop for under that easily. The PC-FZ Dump cable is very inexpensive to build- I got a DB25 male to DB25 male cable, cut it in half and did all the wiring in a little blue plastic box from Radio Shack. All told the cable was under $10.

> The Zip or CD drive would be controlled by the FZ front panel via the Optional software. This would be excellent for live performance; and the Zip or CD-R files would be edited and organized on a PC left at home. Also, how much faster would the ZIP or CD drive transfer be compared to the FZ internal floppy drive?

It would be excellent, but it would require a lot of engineering. You would still have to build a converter cable too. The dumps are faster using the PC-FZ Dump cable, I've never timed what it takes to load a 1 meg floppy- but via the cable it is 60-90 seconds.

Good luck, Mike

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)