aaa how do I begin producing records? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: how do I begin producing records?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 22-Apr-98  @  12:45 AM   -   how do I begin producing records?

Antonio_carlo

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

i want to know what i need (currently all I have is an MC-505) to make music of vinyl quality and how to get recognized. could anyone help a young aspiring artist?

Antonio Barros
Alta Loma, California

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/12             22-Apr-99  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: how do I begin producing records?

ReZo-99

Link?: Link

I dont know but I sure would like to hear about it too. I thought about getting it but $40 is alot for a disk. I need to know if its worth it. What about the sounds that they sell at Rubber Chicken? They have different synth kits like the JP-8000 kit and a whole bunch of others. I have a demo that they sent me and the sounds are dope but I want to know how the ones that cost $$$ sound. Anybody know?

ReZo-99

Message 12/12             27-Apr-99  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: how do I begin producing records?

©hrisFader

Link?:  No link

I wouldn't go with the SP-808 for your sampler for a couple of reasons. First, it runs off of a Zip disk as its primary source of sample memory. That scares me. As someone who has been using Zip disks for the past several years, I can tell you that they are anything but reliable when it comes to storing audio data on them, particularly sample data. I have done sample dumps with many days worth of editing, recording, and mapping only to have my entire dataset lost in transit.

Second, I love Roland and I think they make good products, but the last several years of NAMM demos I have sat through tell me that Roland is going for the consumer market. This is fine because a lot more people will be making music and a lot of good stuff will come out of that. The problem is that everything with them is so gimmicky now. D-Beams and flashing lights are fine, but is that how you are really going to make music. The SP-808 is really Roland's answer to the Akai MPC series, which in my opinion is a much more usable and serious piece of gear.

Third, you can get something a lot more powerful and solid for less ca$h. If you have a sequencer already, check out the Akai stuff. Since they just came out with a whole new line of high end samplers, you are going to be able to find some incredible deals on some great second-hand gear. Check the net or your local classified (in southern california we have the Recycler) section and see if you can find an S2000 or something similar. Besides, if you get an Akai, you have a lot of pre-formatted samples at your fingertips. Akai is the industry standard for sample formatting. Roland's stuff may be able to read your Akai sample data, but it almost assuredly is not going to go through perfectly because of the problems with architecture in the two types of machines. It will take some tweaking. If you have the bones, get an MPC. Sample the sounds out of the 505 that you like and sell the 505. The Akai sequencer is more powerful, open ended, and robust. It is what most pop, rap, and R&B producers are using. A trained monkey could operate the thing, and it makes sense the way it is set up, which is something that I have yet to be able to say about a piece of Roland gear.

Fourth, I would go with something other than the 808 because it is another of Roland's Groove Tools. I think these machines (MC303-MC505-SP808) are a good introduction into electronic music production, but they are extremely limited. They kind of set it up so that you are using a bunch of factory patterns with a bunch of factory sounds. Sure, you could create some cool stuff on them, but do you want your music limited by the Roland R&D people? I don't.

The moral of the story - I would spend my hard earned money on an Akai. You will spend less money, have more power, and you won't have to deal with another Roland User's Manual (a BIG plus - Roland's manuals have gotten better over the last 2 or 3 years, but I still think they suck). Roland seems to be aiming their efforts at making money off of the masses of people just getting involved in electronic music while more or less ignoring people who want to make their own music from their own sounds (with the exception of the JP-8000, which is an OK synth, but IMHO does not touch the Waldorf, or the Nord)

These are only my opinions, and i don't mean to try to put dow whatever gear you have or are going to buy. It is just that I wish someone had pointed me in the right direction when I first started putting together a studio back in 1995. I would have saved a lot of money and a LOT of time.

Good luck, and let me know what you decided.

Godspeed -
©hrisFader

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)