aaa Internet Providers - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Internet Providers

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 14-Sep-97  @  06:32 PM   -   Internet Providers

Shark attack

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Ok,this is not really a dance tech type question
but you guys are switched on and savvy. I'm
based in the UK,which is the best internet
provider oiut there?? AOL is costing me a
frigging fortune. £4.95 for 3 hours per month
anf then £2.65 for each additional hour. Are
there any better alternatives??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/12             17-Sep-97  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: Internet Providers

kilo

Link?:  No link

Well, lets agree to disagree...... I personally prefer where possible to always go with a smaller more streamlined company, where for example there is not a 15 minute queue for help-line etc.......
You mention things like the quantity of newsgroups on offer.....
well we had to cancel our subscription to demons news groups,
as they were more often offline than not.....
Netconnect will add any newsgroup if you request it, provided it's not the Marsupial Sex channel
or something like that

whatever you say, demon is know in the industry as being slow for connection ,
with much downtime and bad connectivity due to it's behemoth like size....
and as I said, I prefer an email that arrives
at it's destination within a minute of sending, rather than hours later.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Demon as I understand it, sub-lets extra transatlantic connectivity when needed, (or did they actually purchase that pipe that they were advertising yet didn't happen last year ??)
..... whereas NetKonect has
a dedicated pipe for it's own users only. also, Demon are the largest Uk, but of course, at peak times such as early
evening the system becomes bogged down as millions of users try to connect. this is a similar problem with the other big names like AOL & Compuserve.

offering RA streams for free may seem a bonus at first, but of couse it means many amateur users may
add audio that is otherwise un-needed, simply because they have this facility, which again slows
down throughput for other users.... It's horses for courses really, an offer may appear great on paper,
but how it functions in the real-world is an entirely different issue.....so lets agree to disagree. :-)

Message 12/12             17-Sep-97  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: Internet Providers

avene

Link?:  Link

Err yeah, I'd just like to say, whenever I try to access Spot's site, it's realllyyy slowwww....Sometimes the main page doesn't completely load at all, and you end up just giving up....and it's not like he's gone over the top with graphics or anything.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)