aaa Questions from a (relative) newbie - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Questions from a (relative) newbie

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 04-Feb-98  @  07:13 AM   -   Questions from a (relative) newbie

Apester000

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

First of all, let me start off by saying this is an absolutely awesome site. I stumbled upon it while searching for some info on an analog synthesizer I am considering purchasing (a Moog Rogue) The info here is top notch, and is exactly what I've been searching for.

At any rate...

Some questions.
I've been composing dance music so far in the far beyond excellent program, Impulse Tracker. Although I haven't actually tried Making Waves, from what I've seen it is a hyped up version of impulse tracker, without nearly as many features, and a much more expensive price tag (Impulse Tracker is free and comes with a mono wave writer, and you can register for 30$ (us) and get a stereo wave writer. I have a SB Pro (I REALLY need to upgrade) and have been using alot of shareware synths to get my samples (which will soon change once I got my Rogue  ) and have been outputting my stuff to a standard cassette tape using the line out jack on my card. Needless to say, the sound quality sucks, and I've been considering upgrading, but in the starter setups section, I read something about outputting your sound direct to DAT, and then mixing it down (externally?) I am a little unclear on how exactly that works, and what steps I would need to take to set that up. Would I just plug the DAT into the line out jack of my soundcard, or would I have to do something else? Also, for future reference, what's the exchange rate between the dollar and the pound, and what's a quid? I've been having some difficulty discerning proce ranges because I don't know the exchange rates.
Next question:
If I do decide to purchase this analog synthesizer, how would I sample it into my computer directly? I had intended on just micing the amplifier, but from what I've gathered sampling directly yields much more accurate results. Again, do I need to purchase a better sound card? I'm 18, working part time for minimum wage, so my budget is rather limited. I'd rather save up and buy a DAT (if such is possible with my current setup) and use my SB Pro to monitor my music, rather then have to buy a new soundcard and some other stuff too. In a nut shell, I'd like to know what steps I should take in order to get the highest quality sound on a limited budget, what I should get and what I shouldn't.
Just out of curiosity, do any of you track? It seems to me trackers are way better then software sequencers, in all respects. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Thanks and keep up the good work kilo-
Brandon

one last thing, if you're interested in Impulse Tracker, go to my web page...

http://members.aol.com/apester000/index.html

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/12             05-Feb-98  @  09:56 AM   -   RE: Questions from a (relative) newbie

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

Well, you probably shouldn't advertise the fact that you're using illicit software on a public forum..... I've got a suggestion for gear.... Go to used music stores that are run by guitarists.... I swear by it... You get all kinds of cheap gear. They're like "Huh? This thing is a box.... How do you make it work? It's broken.."

Message 12/12             06-Feb-98  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: Questions from a (relative) newbie

kilo

Link?:  No link

mate.....if your happy with your sound.......that's enuff......... you dont have to use a sequencer......

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)