aaa hintz for programming hatz? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: hintz for programming hatz?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 26-Oct-99  @  10:13 AM   -   hintz for programming hatz?

john

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

hi. i've just begun sequencing drums on my emax with a kawai q80. for now, drum programming is my main concern. wanna get it solid before trying to put too much on top of it. with that, last night as an exercise i was trying to program a sort of typical (1/16th notes i think, each quarter note has i think 4 divisions--damn i forget, could be 1/32 but you prob know what i mean, a sorta fast rolling hat pattern) closed high hat pattern with accents on certain notes. i had some success in using an open high hat sample velocity assigned to velocity and short gate time to get the ticks and a longer one to get the accents. the problem i'm having is getting the in between closed hat sounds to really groove. i've been messing with manually editing the velocity of each note but i don't really know what what the velocity pattern should be. high low, high low? high, low, mid, high? it keeps sounding too machine gunny or bizarre (sometimes good of course). does anyone have a sort of template for this sort of hat pattern that i could use as a starting point? also, now that i think of it, i have the same concern with programming crescendoey rolls (i know they're sorta cliche, but i still wanna know how to program em). i get the general idea about a general sweeping increase in velocity but what is the general velocity pattern to get it right? should it just be 1/16 notes (sorry again if not right) over two bars with each hit about 5 or so velocity values higher than the previous, maxing out at 127 or whatever? what other timbre values could or should i assign to velocity to really make it sting? oh, and btw, for this i am using a 909 snare sample. sorry if this is confusing but any tipz would be much appreciated. thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             18-Nov-99  @  07:54 PM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

John

Link?: Link

Slimedog -- With a tempo of 138, a 1/16 note is 108.6 ms. If you multiply that by 3, you'll get 325.8 ms. That's your triplet. I don't know where he got 341 ms. -- John

Message 12/13             18-Nov-99  @  07:55 PM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

John

Sox -- Thanks for the quantize tips. Now if I could just figure out how to do that in Logic. Kilo?

Message 13/13             18-Nov-99  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

John

Slimedog -- I was wrong. It should be like this.

1/16th note @ 138 = 108.6 ms. Multiply that by 2 and then divide that by 3. This will give you a 16th triplet which is 72.4 ms.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)