aaa OK, what about rock n roll - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: OK, what about rock n roll

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 09-Dec-00  @  08:00 AM   -   OK, what about rock n roll

kylecarrington

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hey folks  

I am a guitarist/vocalist and I like to play rock, blues, metal, funk, soul whatever... I used to have a Roland Human Rhythm Composer that i bought in pawn shop for $50. you know the one with huge keypads that are touch sensitive, and feel/groove patches, and swing mode.

I didn't realize how slick that unit was till I went to go replacing it. I figured it would be easy, cause it was so old. I demoed Rebirth, and I nearly vomited on my keyboard - I need something with humanistic feel.
Is there software that can do this? I don't do rap or techno, I want a rock kit. Maybe I'm just too old for drum machines.

Kyle

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             15-Dec-00  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: OK, what about rock n roll

sethatwork

Hi folks!

Thought I'd throw in my two cents.

My experience is this: The effectiveness of the drum module you require is dependent upon the type of music you want to create. If you do dance, then all you need is a VSTi that gives you the same sound over and over when you trigger it. The quality of that sound is as good as the sample you give it. BUT. If you desire to have a *realistic* drum sound, one that sounds like an actual human being is playing it, then you need velocity layers. BTW, if this is all old hat to you, my apologies; I got the impression that y'all are new to this gig.

Anyhow, if this latter scenario is the case, if you do rock or funk or anything that requires a live drummer, then IMHO you need sample software that has velocity layers. This means that any time you strike, say, the snare, the sample you get back is dependent upon the velocity, which is exactly what you want, since no drum sounds exactly the same every time you hit it. Of course, you'll need a few samples for each instrument, but if you're painstaking about this part of the process, you'll wind up with a kit that'll knock your socks off compared to dance-based drum machines.

The LM4 I don't care for. Yeah, the samples can be nice, but so what? You can load nice samples into anything, so that's not a valid argument for me. IMHO, he LM4 was a rush job and not up to Steinberg's standard. The truly lame method of sample loading is just one example of what's wrong with this VSTi, but it's indicative to me of the fact that it was not designed with the user in mind. Ironic that Steinberg developed VSTi technology, huh?

Having used various samplers over the years, and VSTi since they were developed -- what, a year ago? -- my favorite at the moment is the AO DK1, from AO Digital I think they're called. Four velocity layers for each instrument, ANY bit depth and sample rate is accepted, loading samples is a snap, there's on-board compression in case you need to give a hit some punch, there's on-board cutoff to keep a reign on the high end of individual instruments, and there's a great ambient kit already programmed and available for download. The price? It's 50 bucks, HALF what the LM4 retails for -- and it has ten times the functionality and intuitiveness. Yuk; I sound like a salesman -- I'm not. There are other VSTi that are velocity layered and intuitive; DK1's just my choice at the moment. Use what works.

Anyway, if you folks are doing killer drum tracks with the LM9, you'll do DEVASTATING ones with a velocity-layered, friendlier VSTi.

Sorry to go on and on...good luck!

Message 12/13             15-Dec-00  @  06:57 PM   -   RE: OK, what about rock n roll

kylecarrington

AO? Where does one look them up? Couldn't find them on altavista.com hmmm... I can't understand why I can sequence awesome drum samples, modify their wave patterns, volumes, pitch, decay; everything in "fruityloops" thus creating a good track, yet in cubase Im stuck with midi and my shit sounds i get from my sb16. Obviously I need more hardware, but still, can't a person trigger a software synth, from cubase or cakewalk, and thus use a midi track to fire off some decent samples instead of the crap i got on my card?

thanks

Message 13/13             15-Dec-00  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: OK, what about rock n roll

Frostbyte

Link?: Link

always use google.com, everything else is a waste

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)