aaa How to hear 4 bit, 8kHz, mono file. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: How to hear 4 bit, 8kHz, mono file.

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 16-Jun-06  @  02:00 AM   -   How to hear 4 bit, 8kHz, mono file.

Musineer Productions

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hi

I've been sent a 4Bit, 8kHz, mono wav file. It's 7MB. Wavelab doesn't want to know at all, while Goldwave and Audacity show a graphic waveform but play the file as a short burst of white noise.

Is there a resource for odd codecs? I don't have anything to open a 4 bit file.

Any suggestions much appreciated

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             17-Jun-06  @  06:17 AM   -   RE: How to hear 4 bit, 8kHz, mono file.

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

Thanks K, tried the Awave Studio...incorrect codec! Was able to convert a wma the sender sent as an alternative file made from the sanyo icr b5000 responsible for this blasted thing. But only 23 secs when it should have been 30min.

I've downloaded Switch, Express scribe dbpower, 4U wma mp3 converter and others. I either get an error or part of the file decoded (from 23 secs to 3min 17 secs depending on decoder used).

Thing is, someone else was able to decode and resave the original wav as a 6kbps wma. To further rub my nose in it, two other people (in australia & canada) were able to play the wma the sender sent the second time - straight from wmp

When I try I get the Class jobby and a trip to microsoft to be told there's no alternative codec available!

Perhaps there's a problem with this PC? Maybe the Audiophile 24/96 can't cope with 4bit 8kHz wav files, or 6kbps wma for that matter. Or could it be the AMD 1600 chip? I bought a new motherboard a while back (nvidea nforce 2 ultra 400 chipset based k7n2 delta2 - no less - and a new g-force mx 440 64MB graphic card) Could these be causing a problem?

80 half hour recordings

Message 12/13             17-Jun-06  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: How to hear 4 bit, 8kHz, mono file.

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

Solution!

Winamp on Virtual PC on a mac G4 running OS8.6 plays the damn wma. So a lead from Mac headphone socket to PC input and I can record in Wavelab, convert to the right format, pass it to the emac and we're typing!!

Slick audio solutions from Musineer Productions

Message 13/13             17-Jun-06  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: How to hear 4 bit, 8kHz, mono file.

k

Link?:  Link

heh

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)