aaa chords, fifths,... question. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: chords, fifths,... question.

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 09-Nov-97  @  05:58 PM   -   chords, fifths,... question.

Purple Haze

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I recently got interested in creating music (purely for fun), and have been playing around with various audio tools and hardware, but I'm actually more or less a beginner.
One thing that keeps on bothering me is that I can't seem to find any decent info about chords! This might seem weird to you, but I'd like to know how to use them, what they are (how come some combination of notes works and another doesn't), what a 'chord-progression' is (often read it in Future Music), how to use them, which ones go together,...
The only thing I know about them is that they're series of notes that sound good together, and that's about it, I can't seem to get enough insigt in them (if you could call it that) to be able to use them in wy own productions (which I'd rather still call experiments at the moment).

Might be a bit weird question, but any info or help is appreciated.

PH.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             19-Nov-97  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

ratfink

hmmm...but what is TRUE art? i correct myself: music education can take many forms; classroom instruction, book learnin', or sitting around noodling. But to imply that conservatory training is a prerequisite to producing valid artistic statements is to me just a little bit elitist. i have to say i straddle the fence; on the one hand i try to learn as much theory as possible (chords, harmony etc.) but at the end of the day what propels my work is intuition, feel and "does-it-kick-me-in-the-gut". maybe we're all getting just a little bit ahead of ourselves here; 909's original post was you needed education to play music--he didn't actually say art. My bottom line: conservatory trained, street musician or bedroom tweaker--all are capable of making musical statements of value

Message 12/13             19-Nov-97  @  08:28 AM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Right, so here we go: put your hand on your keyboard, thumb on 'C'. if each finger's on a consecutive white key, pinky'll be on 'G', the fifth. Now, pinky on 'C', and index finger's on the lower 'G', the fourth OR inverted fifth. It doesn't matter. In fact, none of this shit matters, it's merely a system that we utilize to communicate music to paper and other musicians.
It helps, especially with organizing your own thoughts. Personally, I love sitting on a train and writing out a song in my head to staff (music) paper without having any instruments around. I also love taking the fat coctail hostess with the big, hairy mole on her eyelid into the lavatory and pumpin' her soppin' yeasty-ass pussy.

Message 13/13             19-Nov-97  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: chords, fifths,... question.

james_munro

yeah, this discussion could go on forever. There should be no boundaries or limitations. I cant read or write a single note of music. But I can play the most awesome piano solo in a D scale in the whole of the South East of England (well maybe thats a bit big headed). Even if I could read music I'd be buggered trying to write all that down. I am sure that Kenny Kirkland didnt either when he did his awesome solo on Bring On The Night at one of Stings gigs which lasted over 5 minutes (the solo that is, not the gig).

No one can classify what prerequisites are needed for a particular genre of music. Thats what the whole beauty is.
Jean-Michel Jarre did a stint at the Paris Conservatoire only to blow it all out because it was too cold and unfeeling. A bit like my girlfriend really. (but with a tighter arse).

I failed my music exams at school. I got an A+ for my practicle and a "ungraded" for my theory. My practicle was shit hot, but because I couldnt read or write music I failed. But there were people who couldnt fucking write a tune to save their lives getting higher grades because they could draw all these stupid notes onto a piece of paper. So what happens there, whose better, me or the twat.

Love

Father Ted Crilly

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)