aaa music copyright - confused as fuck - still - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 01-Jan-98  @  12:25 PM   -   music copyright - confused as fuck - still

THE poorass

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

well it was bound to happen. I surfed for two fucking hours, trying to find out how to copyright original works, but to no avail.

So tell me now, one page says that posting material to yourself is not required, others say it is. Most dont even state in plain english how to register, and/or be legally 'protected'.

So is copyright followed through with an agency? Through a government body? Or through the mail man?

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             03-Feb-98  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

Jmackcam

Thanks Ivan
Another thing I dont understand about Sampling/copyright is -
on one hand we know that these days samplers are used on everything espesh Dance music. On the other hand we get told you cant sample any thing on a commercial track without permission - how does anything ever get released ??
Is this OK here or should I start another topic? (Ive only just got on the net after years with my old faithful atari)

Message 12/13             04-Feb-98  @  11:28 AM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

ivan

On some other thread some one mentioned that James Brown sues a lot, so it isn't entirely free from risk. But as long as you stay in obscurity, you should be safe.
And if you fuck up the sounds you've sampled no one should be able to tell where it comes from.

look at http://www.futurenet.com/musiciansnet/Hitech/default.html
for a short introduction to copyright.

Message 13/13             07-Feb-98  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: music copyright - confused as fuck - still

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

A lot of us sample the shit out of everything 'cause we don't make enough money on our records for anybody to bother with coming after us. I once told a guy from Mandrill that my buddy straight up sampled his ass, but what's the guy gonna do? My buddy pressed 500 records total, making about $1,500 profit; that's barely more than a lawyer'd charge to take the case.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)