aaa Programming D&B beats........... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Programming D&B beats...........

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 15-Jan-98  @  06:16 AM   -   Programming D&B beats...........

cgifford

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm currently working with a Boss DR-660 and for the life of me can't figure out how these guys do it. Say I'm listening to Luke Vibert or Bill Laswell and I hear these damn cool beats....So I go over to my machine and go tappity tap tap and come up with something that sounds pretty cool, but it just doesn't sound "crazy enough" (little snare rolls here, kick flutters there......).
Is it just a matter of programming in a computer?
Can it be done with a 660 alone? Is this question clear enough? What's the meaning of life? Et. Al......

-----
Brad

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             03-Feb-98  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

ivan

To get that hysterical feeling- try to put in as many 32ths and triplets as possible on the snares and hihats. Just be careful to don't overdo it, otherwise it could end up sounding reaaaly bad.

Speeding up loops to something like 170-180 bpm could also do the trick.

Anyway, learn how to program jazz and hiphop beats at a lower tempo. It IS the roots for jungle just as someone said here. Get a book for drummers and try to program those beats in the sequencer.

Message 12/13             04-Feb-98  @  07:17 AM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

mersault

what i've been doing is going out with a set of good mikes (rented) and a portable dat and sampling individual hits on a live drum. i don't mean 10 drastically different snare hits, but all the same hits. if you notice in live bands, every time the snare is hit it sounds slightly different than the last hit- maybe not enough to be audibly different but the live feel is there. this might be too tedious for some but it works for me.

Message 13/13             07-Feb-98  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: Programming D&B beats...........

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

eww, what a pain in the ass. when's the last time you people got laid?

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)