aaa What do you think is the best sampler? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: What do you think is the best sampler?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 04-Apr-00  @  03:46 AM   -   What do you think is the best sampler?

spectral44

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I am looking into buying a high end rackmount studio sampler. I have heard many different things about all types of samplers. I have several in mind: the Akais of coarse- S5000 in particualr, the EMU EXXXX series, and the Yamaha A Series.
So what I am trying to do is spark a discussion so you sampler-owners can debate which is best. Then with your feedback I will know which company gets my money  
Rzo

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/14             10-Apr-00  @  01:14 PM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

k

emax for me.. it's the difference between a vintage strat and some flashy generic nippon axe... i've heard all the new samplers, and they dont bite like an emax...if i want a synth, i'll buy a synth.. if i want a sampler, i'll buy a sampler.... sure, the new samplers are fucking amazing, they do the whole thing, but to me whilst it's an amazingly clean and glossy sound, in the end, it sounds like i'm listening to a high-end synth workstation ...

i like the emax cos it SOUNDS like a sampler - i want to HEAR that it is a sampler... i like that unadulterated ruffness and punch that knocks my teeth out at 40 yards... i WANT to hear alaising noise when i sample way down in the low K's.... no sampler in the big-bucks bunch will ever get that sound... period!

also, i buy a digital synth to do digital stuff, and an analog to do analog etc.... my 2c worth :-)

Message 12/14             10-Apr-00  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

R-Tek

as k says, its really horses 4 courses. Even though I like me emu, the akais do come with 2 sets of midi ports as standard which is more in fitting with a do it all workstation that the meus lowly single pair. Ummm......as pointed out elsewhere on this site, the cost of extra outs on the emu is huge (£659) compared to £249 on the akais (though these are unbalanced, and it raises that dac-sharing issue again). I still prefer the akai drumsound, *but*, if fiddle about with the filters on the emus they sound every bit as good - u just gotta know how 2 tickle em.

Message 13/14             10-Apr-00  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

Rzo

What do you guys know about the ESI 4000 from EMU? Is it a decent box? As far as I can tell it will do everything I need just fine. I have someone who wants to sell his for $900. It has 32MB, Zip and the Turbo option board (EFX plus 6 outs) for a total of 10 outs. What do you think? Good deal?

Message 14/14             11-Apr-00  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

SHOTO

Well the filters are not bad, i always use my synths with maximum voice allocation/unision, and leave the rest to the sampler,plus the filters take awhile to get used too and have their pro`s and cons.
k, I think it possible to achieve alias nosie with top end samplers, set the resample freq way low on a soundthat has mega high freq. and you will hear it. The alais sound will be cleaner as a result of better converters(higher dynamic range/better resolution)then older models. You can always work from there to make the sound dirtier more grungy like the good old 12 bit akai samplers.

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)