aaa what synth...again!!!! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

14-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: what synth...again!!!!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 16-Mar-02  @  05:45 PM   -   what synth...again!!!!

monkeyboy

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

can anybody recommend a synth or controller keyboard that is known for it's outstanding midi implementations, but also something even a monkey could get to grips with. the synth i use at the moment is a cs1x and as most know it is a piece of shite when it comes to routing channels etc. would it be worth my while keeping the cs1x for sounds and getting a cheap midi controller keyboard as a master? or should i just say cheerio to the blue box and get another synth in the same sort of price bracket? i'm strapped for cash at the moment so i don't really want to be spending more than £400.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/14             18-Mar-02  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

Defector Z

Link?: Link

Sure it's logical. Each voice has a total of 3 layers. You can layer VA type sounds over samples, for example. A sine wave over a snare drum. The tricky part of the k2000 is the logarithms. The logarithms are a serious of different modules that the sound produced by each layer pass through. Like you can send your sine wave through logarithm 1 (there are like 24 logarithms) which has a filter, and amplifier and a pan setting. Some of the logarithms have complex settings - you could have a total of 3 filters between the sound generator and the amplifier (for example). It is very complex, and not easy, but it is extremely powerful. I have been able to get some SERIOUS bass out of it. And the effects on the k2000 are a hell of a bonus. Chorus, flange, echoes. Midi implementation is kickass (just about everything is midi controllable) and mine has 4 outs.

It is a complex machine, and will take some serious alone time with the manual, and a lot of motivation on your time, but it is a wonderful synth. I tend to neglect it because I have 2 synths that are much easier to program, but are FAR less flexible. You can get some great VA type rumbles out of it, but also a lush, beautiful enveloping string section. And the piano sounds damn good too.

Plus, with a Kurzweil, all the keyboardists you know with have pianist envy (that's for you sitar).

Message 12/14             18-Mar-02  @  01:34 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

xoxos

ack..

logic is/other sw sequencers? are brilliant. the integration of midi and audio schedules greatly facilitates assemblage, course it's all biased by what you want to do anyway.

really, though. some synths are very capable, and many synths certainly offer enough to be all that you need and want (i'd thrive in an only 4-op fm scenario) but they do have inherently different properties. ie. the sound of high frequency modulation on an analog isn't going to come off the same on digital, a va doesn't do advanced fm sounds.. they make sounds differently, make different sounds.. i'm interested, anyway  

keep the cs1x and get a midi port for your pc :p

Message 13/14             21-Mar-02  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

99devils

Monkeyboy, I can help you with the CS1x. email questions to 99devils@mindless.com

As far as a synth along the same lines that's easy to use and has an outstanding MIDI implementation (everything transmits and receives MIDI), look no further than a Nord Lead. You may find the 4 part multi limiting though.

-Craig

Message 14/14             21-Mar-02  @  07:27 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

monkeyboy

Link?:  Link

cheers, craig will do.

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)