aaa SCSI Bus problem - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: SCSI Bus problem

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  10:59 PM   -   SCSI Bus problem

Frostbyte

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

This may not be a problem, but I want to make sure before I go buy another CD-Rom, one that's on the list of tested models by Emu. They say that other models may work, so I want to give it a try.

PC 200mhz/128 mb

My bus is :

Esi2k...Iomega Zip...Adaptec AHA154x
...Pioneer DR-U12X

Esi and zip work well with both cables, so it's not that.

The only thing I cannot change is the termination of the Pioneer (I could change it's ID# with the junper, but haven't tried yet, since I don't think it's the problem). I went into the Adaptec Bios and tried to see if I could change something, but it tells me "Not a disk drive". Is an internal CD-Rom terminated by default?

In the SCSI set up of the Esi, you can of course assign it's ID#, but there is also an option to tell the unit to avoid host on ID.

goes like this; "If a computer is present on the SCSI bus set "Avoid host on ID" to the computers (sic) SCSI ID number."

Now what I read here is : If your Adaptec SCSI ID is 7, set Avoid host on ID to 7. Correct? unless my PC has a SCSI ID#, wich I seriously doubt, but hey, you learn everyday.

Well,if you have any suggestion, i'll gladly try them.

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/15             29-Feb-00  @  10:16 AM   -   RE: SCSI Bus problem

Frostbyte

Now, I'm only trying with the pc and the esi. I terminated the pc by putting switch 1 on the AHA 1540 C to "Closed" wich installs termination on the card. In the esi masterglobal/disk utiliies/scsi set up I put Esi(local) ID : 5 and avoid Host on Id : 7, wich is the ID of the adaptec. No luck , I've tried different ID for both the esi and AHA (did control-A at start up to enter the AHA bios and change ID in the Host adapter setting etc..)

I've been on that for almost a week now, i'm getting a bit frustrated, but then , i'm really stubborn and I don't want to spend more cash on another card, just to find out it's a problem with the esi.

Any ideas? Thanks for taking the time.

Ison is following this too (plus I guess a load of others)

Message 12/15             29-Feb-00  @  09:20 PM   -   RE: SCSI Bus problem

The_Pimp

Well I can think of a few things but they are kinda hard to explain. Are you on the ESI email list because this problem has been addressed there in depth. I never had a problem myself so I can't really troubleshoot...it seems with SCSI and the ESI you either get it to work right away no prob or it takes awhile to get the glitches out. At www.onelist.com there is an ESI email list search for it and then search the message archives or join and ask the question.
Jeremy

Message 13/15             29-Feb-00  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: SCSI Bus problem

Frostbyte

Thanks Jeremy.
I have started to search the archive but haven't found anything yet. I want to see for myself before i ask, since it's a bit annoying to hear some questions again and again.

Message 14/15             01-Mar-00  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: SCSI Bus problem

The_Pimp

I just thought. What order are you turning them on in...see I borrowed a CDrom that wasn't on the supported list and I couldn't get it to work unless I turned it on last.
Jeremy

Message 15/15             28-Mar-00  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: SCSI Bus problem

Frostbyte

Well, it all works now ,had a bit of fun with it, hence the delay for that final post 

To get everything to work, you will need:

Patience, perseverence and a pair of very long nose pliers to reach those &$*!% jumpers that are so out of reach.
a huge pot of coffe is also advisable.

Here is my present SCSI Bus:

Esi2k...IomegaZip...AdaptecAHA154x ...Pioneer DR-U12X

Now, this set up works , but you have to remember that each can be different, so only a couple hints are going to be helpfull and true for every set up.

Tip number 1:

Make sure EMU media is present in each drive. Put one of the CD they packed with the sampler IN your CD rom (wether it's internal or external, or you won't be able to mount the drive)

Tip 2:

Figure out all combination of ScSI ID for each device in order not to repeat yourself when trying different ID set up. write it down

Tip 3

Power up order: This is quite obvious, but still: ESI has to be powered first if you want it to be recognised by the pc, just as any other SCSI device.

apart from that it all lies in assigning ID and have your Bus properly terminated. The ESI is already terminated. my other end is the CD-rom, also terminated. Everything in between musn't be. In Master/Global/Disk utilities/SCSI set up, "Avoid host on ID" should be set to whatever Id your Host card bears (more likely your host card will be set on 7, but you can change it in the bios if that setting doesn't work)
About the host card, make sure you have the manual, or it's going to be nightmare to configure as they made sure it was as alembicous as this sentence   Pay particular attention to the switch block settings, that's were the action is.

writting down the stuff might seem like a drag, but it really helps.

good luck !

Frostbye

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)