aaa Who here has had a release? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

27-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Who here has had a release?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 09-May-07  @  01:35 PM   -   Who here has had a release?

monkeybasket2001

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi,

guys,

im almost at a stage where i wanna shop some house tunes around and wanna know who hear has had tunes released and how you did it...

Now im not looking to get signed but wanna get a record out if that makes sense? it seems to me in house that many artists do stuff for different labels-s eems in some cases its almost a song by song basis....

why would i possibly want to work with a record company? well i want my tunes mastered for the dance floor and released on vinyl- a number of mates said they'd buy and spin my tunes but thats a little different to being able to shift say 500 white labels- its not even profit im after just want some of my tunes out there to see how the general public like them

the mastering thing is because basically im wasting too much time tying to pro-up my tracks to what i hear in mastered versions- my levels and mixes are ok from my point of view but would want a pro touch before they were spun on the dance floor...

ive come a cross a list of house labels from mix mag im gonna hit up but to be honest im not expecting any replies (as i doubt the a&r will even listen) - any tips? experiences?

this is not trying to get signed which is a bit different

dubs

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/15             11-May-07  @  04:32 PM   -   RE: Who here has had a release?

monkeybasket2001

ah so im right in that once you've got one track out there the rest becomes easier ...it certainly explains your plethora of releases under the various guises over only a couple of years

the digital route doesn't appeal to me as it doesn't ensure people hearing it on the dance floor and my tracks really don't work anywhere else- total dj food that they are

that way it may be better for me to send the tracks to you as an unknown and get your honest opinion, that way it won't just be doing it cos we spoke on this site but because you genuinely believe in there being some potential there, or not...- even people saying 'tunes are good but your production is crap or doesn't go anywhere' would give an official direction to aim for...

obviously my fantasy would be some label say 'i love this' let our in-house mixer bring up the production and we will pay for its release, you can have 1%'

the reality would be 'this has potential, go back become excellent at producing and resubmit it' or 'no thanks'

but simply releasing this myself doesn't guarantee its any good (no one writes music they don't like but i wont be buying my own records anyway), that the right circles will be exposed to it and that i won't be sitting on a wall of white labels 3 years from now... and really its having a 'good' record out there under my anme which is more important than anything else...

but excellent insight- i at least know that contacts are as important if not more than self-marketing...

any house demo's you got sent which you passed on and then became releases?

dubs

Message 12/15             11-May-07  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: Who here has had a release?

monkeybasket2001

ah ive dug up the link to the one time i did post a tune here:

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/forums/thread.cfm?show_all=1&threadid=36695&messages=5&chatter_id=1&start=1&end=5&step_messagecount=1&step_rowcount=1&Message_ID=#304129

i still get by peeps about remixing this but was done before i understood the concept of hindsight so none of the original files exist anymore... kind of bad when someone prefers a badly produced tune from 6 years ago over your new stuff- i just don't do that deep stuff as much anymore...

dubs

Message 13/15             11-May-07  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: Who here has had a release?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Link?: Link

Just send it through FAO Alan (DT), becuase we have a guy who screens the demos and filters the most suitable stuff on, so if its a regular demo i might not get it!

any house demos you got sent which you passed on and then became releases?

dubs

Im not sure, but we've had some good ones for sure so possibly - we just pass on anything outwith our field of proper promotion becuase its unfair to the artist to sling out a short vinyl run without the proper promo on the offchance it might get further licenced ( e.g deep house track release = deep house dj promo circle + deep house 'known' label with deep house contact points )

What does your friend with the digital label think of your music? Whats the label?

Message 14/15             11-May-07  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: Who here has had a release?

monkeybasket2001

What does your friend with the digital label think of your music? Whats the label?

he thinks its pretty good but the stuff he is into is slightly different- im not a big fan of his tunes to be honest, he runs punchdrunk

greg

Message 15/15             11-May-07  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: Who here has had a release?

k

Link?:  Link

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU wrote:

k wrote:

hey Blue, hows tricks? whatyou guys using now studiowise? any upgrades?

Mostly working with virus TI and software now really! Did just get a set of apogee dacs this morning tho, just the usb babies but still f*cking gnarly!

I see alot of virsu TI type synthy stuff on the horizons, will prob invest in some of that stuff, but for now im really pretty cool with the minimal approach. Can you get us some freebies from thomman for a bit of sponsorship aye?

blu

yeah, i'm considering buying a full blown ProTools 192 rig, i could cover the cost of leasing or buying montly, but there's problems of course with premises in London cos of the price of property, it's just so impossible to find anywhere affordable to work. I met the owner of the local (recently closed down) restaurant in the bank this week, that restaurant has been a local place since the late 60's & is very famous... his lease ended and the landlord took away the first and upper floor then demanded £180,000 a year for the gdn floor & basement restaurant area!!

yup!.. 1/3rd of a million dollars for 2 x 400sq ft areas. He said he offered him 120,000 and the guy told him no, lol... so, where to base yourself is the problem as usual.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)