aaa Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 20-Jun-98  @  01:15 PM   -   Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

horace

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Greetings, what is the A/D converters like on the Maxi, I know the Terratec is 18-bit but why does it cost so much more? Does the Maxi have an on board sampler? What is the s-n ratio?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             25-Jul-98  @  05:05 PM   -   Once again me about S/PDiF

jmp

My name is Maciej.

Bye!

Message 12/16             25-Jul-98  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

Clemens

Hi!

Do you use the Maxi-Sound volume mixer running at the
desktop during recording? (see file C:\QAMMS64\sndvol64.exe). Did you switch to adapterboard IN within the sndvol64 mixer?

I have no such problems except the -3dB "trouble".

Ciao

Clemens

Message 13/16             26-Jul-98  @  10:05 AM   -   Maxi's S/PDiF

jmp

Thank you Clemens for your advice. I have disabled the volume control on the desktop, I am using sndvol64.exe switched to Digital in, but the problem remains. It depends a lot on a recording you try to put into a card's IN, which suggests that it is a synchro problem. I mean every DAT recorder which was used during recording has a slightly different sampling frequency than ideal 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz etc., these discrepancies are the cause why there must be only one "master" during transfer from one digital device to another - and that is the elementt of a S/PDiF standard (IEC958). DAT recorders do it automatically: when you push a record button - they go into a "slave" mode, when you push play, they are in "master". At first, when I didn't find any such switch on my Maxi I thought the Guillemot engineers are ingenious and they solved it also "automatically" unlike any other pro- card that normally you must switch into digi- or internal- clock (I don't think it's a feature you must specially pay for, since it's rather inconvenient and you must remember about it each time you record or play). I found in the net a very interesting review (http://perso.club-internet.fr/tpuisseg/machines/hsp64.htm). The author quotes Guillemot engineers: "We have chosen a FIXED 44100Hz technology for our S/PDIF interface. If the inputing unit is not EXACTLY at 44100Hz, a few samples may be left over due to reclocking problems. These MAY induce some sound artefacts in no way audible by a human ear." Unfortunately these "artefacts" are VERY audible in a vast majority of recordings. And this "FIXED 44100 Hz technology" suggests it is 100% exact what it virtually impossible in any electronical device.

By the way, this discussion beginns to be very interesing!

Bye,

Maciej

Message 14/16             26-Jul-98  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

kilo

well i think generally, you cant buy a card expecting pro-work, that also is designed to work with games !!...... i got a DAL Dig Only Card D..... it is the nutz !!...

Message 15/16             01-Sep-98  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

rvogel33

Anyone want to buy a Maxi Sound home studio pro 64 package? Cheap! Write to me.

Message 16/16             01-Sep-98  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

Clemens

How much?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)