aaa SP-808: Quality? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: SP-808: Quality?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 03-Nov-98  @  08:54 PM   -   SP-808: Quality?

Simon

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Does anyone here own roland's new SP-808 sampler? I'm thinking about buying one
but I heard that the sequencer is not very versatile. My other option would be the
Akai MPC-2000. Which one should I choose?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             06-Nov-98  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

Franky

Hey X2C yes i forgot: All effects have reso and Cutoff !!! Yes you can tweak your samples!!!

CHECK IT OUT !!!!

Franky

Message 12/16             06-Nov-98  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

a-jasonz

PEACE:
I have a friend who just bought an sp-808, he uses it with guitar and other keyboard sounds, with his particular application I think the 808 is a good buy, I do more quick sounds that don't take up alot of ram or disk space but a lot of Polyphony with the layering that I do (I don't like the disk recording audio on the ASR, too much of a hassle to use) . I use 2 ASR-10's (keyboard and rack) and they have done good. A few questions though if anyone can help me: does anyone out there have tips or their own storys about the ASR freezing up during song playback? while this dosn't happen all that often it is VERY anoying when your working for hours tweeking you levels maticulously and poof! "ERROR-29 REBOOT?" man, a lot of ARR users out there. I just got the output expander fot the key board and I'm loveing it.
peace- J

Message 13/16             06-Nov-98  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

x2c4nrg

I've never had a problem with my ASR-10. My ASR-10 has done me good. I've had it for 4 years and I never had any problem. A homie of mine has one too and he's never had a problem either and he's had his for 5 years. What booting disk are you using? I dont know if that matters but it might. I dont know why your ASR is freezing up though. I wish I could help.

ReZo-99

Message 14/16             10-Nov-98  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

a-jasonz

I boot from a SCSI drive with the O.S. on the zip disk. Do any of you? mabey the system is not stable if you boot from your working disk? I don't know. you NEVER had a single crash? man it happens about once a month for me. especially on certain songs at certain places of the song when it does crash. again, it doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it suck's big time. thanks for any responces no matter how small!
-J

Message 15/16             10-Nov-98  @  01:56 AM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

x2c4nrg

I have SCSI on my ASR but I dont use it. I dont have the drive. I just use regular disks. I wish I could use it but I dont even know how it works. (stupid me) I dont know if that is the problem on your ASR but Ive never had a problem and I dont use the SCSI. ??? Ill ask my homie. Hes knows a little more about ASR's.

ReZo-99

Message 16/16             10-Nov-98  @  02:36 AM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

Looney Boy

Well ASR problems... I bought an ASR 10 when they first came out a long time ago and it froze on me 3 times. I had to send it back to have repaired. But I sold it and bought a Kurzweil K2000s. Though mine had a problem most of them don't. Like I said I had it when it first came out. Though I have a question on the SP808. When you use the hard disk recorder to record your samples can you cut them up as you can sample data? Can you shoot cut up samples from Recycle, or wave Lab, or sound forge to the hard disk recorder? or vise versa? I mean the sp808 is hard disk recording right? Can you make a ghoust copy of your sample with out using memory? When I use drum loops I use recycle to cut up the sample and change tempo with affecting the pitch can the SP808 do this? How many midi channels does the sequencer handle? Does it handle more chanels than the Akia MPC2000 or 3000? That would be a question really for live use since you wouldn't want to bring your computer on stage. Though most electronic bands that tour usally have most of the tracks recorded on a ADAT or two. How well does the SP808 work with midi in a studio set up? The MC303 sucks bad on this point and the MC505 isn't much better. Just wondering how the SP808 works. Though there has been a lot of hype and people really enjoying there SP808 how practical is it? Sure you have hard disk recording but I have that on my sequencer Cubase VST with a lot more effects and channels to record on than the SP808. Just wondering if roland is just trying to sell another band in a box? I hear of a lot of people wanting to buy a SP808 and make dance music and that is fine and all but can you really produce some quality tracks with just the SP808? Maybe dub house or minimal Drum and bass but most of the music today that is really good uses more than just a MC505 and SP808. Those are my questions feel free to bash away.....

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)