aaa submit your 303ish fave - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: submit your 303ish fave

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 13-May-99  @  02:37 AM   -   submit your 303ish fave

planetalgon

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Do you have albums or tracks done by other dudes that you just love? It's so hard to find CD's that I love from beginning to end. Usually I end up tossing the great majority of music that I buy. Please clue me in on some good albums and if you have links so we can hear them, please send em. I like stuff with the 303 here and there but lets keep it open minded. Whatever you can recommend. Thanks! Here's a few of my own:

Chemical Brothers:
Three Little Birdies Down Beats.(from Exit Planet Dust)
Plasticman:
Marbles.(from Musik)
Crystal Method:
Keep Hope Alive.(from Vegas)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             16-May-99  @  06:32 AM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

pedicelli

Link?: Link

I'm the biggest fan of The Prodigy on the face of the earth. I know every fuckin' thing about Liam Howlett, totally obsessed...he's what inspired me to start with techno...I've never met them, but get this:

The night of my high school graduation, they came to my city for the first time....I wasn't able to go see them cause I had to go to this stupid hotel for supper with my girlfriend and such with my graduating class...that same fuckin' night as I was eating the "entré", guess who was walking out of the fuckin' lobby? The Prodigy...and guess who didn't get to see them.....

Liam doesn't like to explain a lot about his setup...it's his own "secret technique"....there's a lot of interaction with the W-30's...the one under his Nordlead in live performance (used to be under his SH-101, and before that under his 909) is his main controller. Everything is sequenced on the W-30's....there's also a lot of things going on with his Akai's...lots of samples there being controlled by the W-30...

These days he's working less with actually doing live stuff...most of it is all sequenced for him, you don't see him go bonkers anymore like 2 years ago...at Phoenix Festival 1996 during "Funky Shit", he hits the W-30, hit's a switch on his Kenton MIDI Box, wacks in a couple of live notes on the 303, hit's a W-30 to the left...it's madness! Pretty cool stuff!  

Anything else you wanna know?

Message 12/16             16-May-99  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

planetalgon

Geez. That's going to eat at you for life man. I respect your interest in The Prodigy because they're one of my main inspirations. Much time I have spent analyzing their mixes over and over trying to make sense of how they do it.
If you have some info, some other things that would be interested in is 1.) What devices are they using for distortion and saturation (There is such extreme use of it in their mixes that there must be some pedals or tube compressors, no? I just saw a couple of Drawmers and a valve EQ), 2.) Is everything they do live sequenced?(Any multitracking going on?)
I've been busting my balls for 2 years putting together a live system that I can club with on a weekly basis. I just bought the remaining things yesterday afternoon. My credit card is so full its an embarrasment. Now it's just a lot more practice and programming to make it happen for this summer. Anything that you can clue me in on about The Prodigy's live setup would be very interesting to me.

Message 13/16             16-May-99  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

pedicelli

That's what I've been trying to do for over 2 years...get a nice live setup, but I don't have the gear nor enough experience to put it all together....the max I can do right now if to have Rebirth running (controlled by by MCR-8) and have a line from my Prophecy sequenced in MIDI...then I just go nuts at wacking away at the buttons on the MCR-8 (changing patterns) and tweak all the knobs and sliders...

Liam uses a lot of effects....did you check out the rack unit section of the equipment? It's all there....he also relies on a lot of internal distortion (he really likes the Korg Prophecy's distortion)

As for boxes...can't say much...

I've been following Liam's work since 1996....it's gotten less live and I found that he's relying more on Akai's these days....

What kinda gear are you using?

Message 14/16             17-May-99  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

planetalgon

The simple setup you have sounds like it could work very well. I'm constantly striving to slim mine down. I've sold most of my gear. I played with a guy once that brought a whole pile of shit with him. Really. Piles of it. For the amount of equipment he brought with him I would have expected something much better.

I tried looking into getting other members to build a band but all I found is DJ's and people who either don't have ambition, have no equipment, or just don't have a clue. So I just said fuck it. I'm going to do this by myself.

Years ago when I started getting into all this stuff, I was really interested in getting gear. I would take great pride in owning X number of synthesizers, and having the latest greatest machine that Jo Blo of the Blo Monkees uses, but all I really think about now is trying to get out there and make it. Don't get me wrong. I'm very interested in the technology but if it doesn't pertain to something I'm doing then...

Well here's some of the main stuff:

Emu ESI-4000 64MB zip drive
Clavia Nord Lead
Waldorf 4 Pole Filter
Doepfer Regelwerk
QM 309
Access Virus
Fostex D90 SCSI +4dbu I/O

I use the D90 for anything complex that I don't need to interact with much.

Hey, what's the MCR-8, a slider box? I have Rebirth 2.1 but don't really use it because I don't want a big computer set up. So are you going to take a laptop with you or the whole shabang?

Message 15/16             17-May-99  @  01:43 AM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

pedicelli

Ya, my setup is very very very simple, but there'a always complications. It's either all live feel and limited sound, or no live feel with unlimitedness. With live stuff, I'm limited to a 303, 808, and 909 (in Rebirth) but totally controlled in every aspect by my MIDI controller (if you wanna know more about it, visit my webpage...) I can tweak the 303, change patterns, change volumes..turn effects on and off as I please...everything....it's pretty wicked...and in combination with that I can have my Prophecy running the arpeggiator in sync or can play it live....I'm limited to only that because it's a single part instrument....kinda sucks in a sense...

If I sequence everything into Sonic Foundry Acid, I've got zero live feel and it's all precise layering and stuff, but it produces higher quality tracks.....if I had a Z1 on the other hand (polyphonic and multi-timbral version of the Prophecy), I could have 6 instruments going at the same time and Rebirth as well, all controlled......I think my problem could be fixed for total live feel if I got a soundcard which is able to use wave for multiple programs...

I like working alone because I get total control over all the sound, but a partner would be kinda cool, but he'd have to be somewhat compenant or have the drive to get something done, like you said...I've got friends who like techno, but they wouldn't wanna dish out the cash for gear and start working with it...

I would really like to try out that Nordlead of yours...wanna see how it compares to the Prophecy...I'm going down to my music store in about a week and I'll test the Nordlead II.

I've never done a real live performance before...and I've got no laptop, so I'd have to take the tower and monitor and such....

Message 16/16             17-May-99  @  05:10 AM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

planetalgon

Yeah my N2 is cool but if you want bigger balls get the Access Virus. It's got inputs. The things you can do with sound going into the Virus are unparalleled.

You've got the right attitude. I hope you get out there soon. Good luck with it!

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)