aaa Bass Theory - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Bass Theory

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 13-Jun-02  @  10:18 AM   -   Bass Theory

Drop

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Right, I'm onto bass theory now. I have been learning about constructing better basslines and the general consensus seems to be this:

To only use the 1st, 5th and octave of the chord. Then to add extra interest, you accent using the 4th and 7th. I've been told never to hang on the 3rd for longer than an 8th note every 4 bars. Apparently this can make the bass sound off-key.

Have any of the more skilled musicans got any comments on this way of working?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             14-Jun-02  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: Bass Theory

Pongoid

Link?: Link

You could also check out Gary Grainger, Trevor Dunn, Mark King, and a slew as long as my arm for great bassists. There's no ONE RULE, and it's not just another drum. The Bass is ALL. The drums set the tempo, and with the bass they form the groove to which all other instruments follow. Look at the drums as an extension of the bass, and you might have more luck. Not necessarily all of the percussion, but the basic drums might be looked at as mute notes of the bass in the groove. You kids these days have it so easy with this software, but you still don't have the pocket locked down. ;)

Ape

Message 12/16             14-Jun-02  @  04:57 PM     Edit: 14-Jun-02  |  04:57 PM   -   RE: Bass Theory

Brett

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
                                            x   x     x   x         x    

bass theory has it's place in classical. The 1,4,&5 with a resolution to the tonic is standard.

I make most of my bass out of the 1,3,4 and demished 7th. but do also use the notes in between. This Note display is the bass notes for Cmin that I use.

Message 13/16             14-Jun-02  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: Bass Theory

Brett

Flea breaks it down! I always liked Adam Clayton's bass lines. Being able to do all the freaky stuff flea can do is cool, but being so damn smooth and consistant is hard as well.

Message 14/16             14-Jun-02  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: Bass Theory

damballah

maybe try a blemished 2nd with the microscrotal mode.

Message 15/16             15-Jun-02  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: Bass Theory

xoxos

well said d

Message 16/16             16-Jun-02  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: Bass Theory

proximus

all I know is that bass is f*ucking difficult  

And it's very important.

I wish I could make those 70's funk basslines used in many house tracks.. oh my jolly god  

I'm sorry I don't have so much to contribute with, but I try sometimes not to think so much when I make bass (and other stuff), just put a note here and there and see how it sounds. Sometimes it sounds terrible, but I've found out that usually the first *lay* is often very nice sounding. It's like you just lay it the right places.. but on the other hand my basses are pretty simple

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)