aaa "barebones" PC ? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: "barebones" PC ?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 23-May-03  @  02:51 AM   -   shuttle xpc

Lewin

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi everybody...

I'm quite new on the "computerized" music, I've always owned hardware, but... I've tried some nice plugs ans virtual synth, and I was amazed by the loiw cost and the quality you can get from these...

So what ? Well, I intend to get me a specialized mini XPC from shuttle, with an echo MIA sound card and an athlon...
Any idea about these XPCs ? Do they work ?
As the gamers use them, I want one too for the same reasons : they're SMALL !!!
Anybody has tried one ???
Thx for any hint about these ;)
Cheers

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             27-May-03  @  04:14 PM   -   RE:

99devils

Link?: Link

I don't think you're saving that much loot by going with one of those dinky all in one type jobbers with only 1 PCI slot and no room for expansion. Bite the bullet up front and you'll have a system that's upgradable and usable for years.. Not something you're going to have to throw out in a year.

-Craig

Message 12/16             29-May-03  @  12:24 AM   -   RE:

Lewin

Thx everybody for so much advice !!

I think that Nforce chipset could do the thing, but I'm not sure about the card compatibility. Nor are the people from Echo, as they just told me to try it out :-)
Anyhow, keeping upgrading my PCs is not really my aim.

In fact, I mean to build up a lil "music box" which I can take easily with me to my friends' homes and make my stuff or my recordings.
Even if I've no experience in it, it's worth giving a try, isn't it ? Once u buy all the stuff and softs u need, I guess now we have a very high level of quality.

I mean, once I have a truly functioning system with a Mia soundcard and UP TO 2 gig RAM and UP TO 3 gig cpu, could I expect more from life ?

There's the risk of bugs from the card and Nforce chipset, but, then, I guess it's worth it...
Dunno what the risk realy is, though :-(

Message 13/16             29-May-03  @  09:32 AM   -   RE:

Marc_D

I can't speak for Echo, but a LOT of ppl have said the nFORCE2 is fine for music PC configs - try posting on the Sound-on-Sound forums when they're back up, Martin Walker the forum moderator has quite a bit of Echo experience and is a bit of a PC bod too...

Message 14/16             29-May-03  @  12:58 PM   -   RE:

Lewin

That would be nice indeed, but I haven't seen the slightest sign of this "sound-on-sound" forum !

Where can I find it ?

I guees I'll try and use the Nforce chipset anyhow, because it'll allow me to get a neat Athlon XP 2500+ :-)

Message 15/16             29-May-03  @  01:22 PM   -   RE:

marc_d

www.sospubs.co.uk

Its the website for sound-on-sound magazine.. and it looks like the site is back up again...

Message 16/16             29-May-03  @  03:04 PM   -   RE:

lewin

Thanx, I'll try this one out too :-)

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)