aaa Cheap outboard compressor - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Cheap outboard compressor

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 08-Jul-07  @  04:41 PM   -   Cheap outboard compressor

rags .aka. welder

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Okay, a quick question, a guy I know wants to get some cheap, reliable compressor (second hand is ok) for spicing up some loops he wants to play from an AKAI sampler. I want to help but I know jack about outboard so any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             11-Jul-07  @  10:24 AM   -   RE: Cheap outboard compressor

monkeybasket2001

Link?:  No link

lol, which tune? love to hear expensively bad tunes!!!

Message 12/16             11-Jul-07  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: Cheap outboard compressor

k

Link?:  Link

lol, no way... the problem is, i reached that age where a part of me still says "it sucked!!", but then afterwards you feel like you should qualify that with a more reasoned response  

so lets just say that this guy has alot of flashy gear as far as you can tell from his posts, and while the definition & eq was well balanced (ok that is just experience of mixing & even then some of it is still subjective), i found the music pedestrian and not very interesting, and the mix itself while decently balanced also wasnt very creative. To me it sounded like someone could mix and eq ok, but the same results in terms of 'overall track x-factor qualty' could have been had from very cheap gear with the same experience

Now if the music itself was more interesting and not so pedestrian then the gear would be even less relevent. So listening to his stuff you kinda feel like, well if this music was more interesting i'd be prepared to lose any subtle sound quality difference between cheap and really expensive processing gear as long as it was mixed & balanced well... I spose this just re-enforced my view that good creative music done with with decent mix/balance skills but cheap gear wins over less interesting music done with very flashy gear any day.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/16             11-Jul-07  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Cheap outboard compressor

monkeybasket2001

Now if the music itself was more interesting and not so pedestrian then the gear would be even less relevent. So listening to his stuff you kinda feel like, well if this music was more interesting i'd be prepared to lose any subtle sound quality difference between cheap and really expensive processing gear as long as it was mixed & balanced well... I spose this just re-enforced my view that good creative music done with with decent mix/balance skills but cheap gear wins over less interesting music done with very flashy gear any day.

>>>>>>>>>>.

heh thats what i tell myself- despite going for that aged sound i'd love to be able to warm modern soundingmixes, but all im then admiring is the production values in those sort of tunes.... a lot of stuff i listen to is old skool souding so whilst the dirt adds the character its the music that does it for me... i never find 'producer' dance styles as listenable (trance, dn'b) in terms of music (even though trance often stick rigidly to classic music formulas)... if i could just crack a few more techniques i could fcous on my music soley and quickly dial in settings i need, as it is ill spend too much time on it and my music will suffer...

still im getting tips off a pro who has stuff released so am getting there....

my mate is almost the opposite, he doesn't care about production avlues- he just knocks out hundreds of tunes (well ideas- more than my lopps but less than whole tracks) and beats- most sound horrible productionwise (and sometimes musically too!) but in thats sense he's pretty pure...

- phew! dont know why i went off on one there.... still, im often to listen to that platinum sounding lift music

Message 14/16             12-Jul-07  @  03:25 AM   -   RE: Cheap outboard compressor

damballah

Link?: Link

FMR RNP -- cheap and good

that alesis is notoriously bad

Message 15/16             12-Jul-07  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: Cheap outboard compressor

monkeybasket2001

that alesis is notoriously bad
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

unless you are daft punk

Message 16/16             12-Jul-07  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: Cheap outboard compressor

sox

Link?: Link

Joe Meek probably does the best job for limited deniros....I've got an MQ3 and it made a noticeable difference to my voice recordings when I got it...

Stay away from da Behringer stuff... not really worth it even for budget gear....

sox

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)