aaa Adding a subwoofer - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Adding a subwoofer

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 16-Feb-98  @  09:48 AM   -   Adding a subwoofer

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Any thoughts on adding a subwoofer? I'm currently running Event monitors off a Philips 40w/side home receiver with JBL surrounds. My room acoustics are complete shit. Do I need a separate amp? Is a high quality sub- really an issue? Radio Shack's got one on sale 50% for $100. Can I put it in a corner, or does positioning even matter (everyone tells me that it doesn't, but they're not engineers)?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             24-Feb-98  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: Adding a subwoofer

kilo

Link?:  No link

c'mon Hile mate... it was only a joke...... what is the system?

Message 12/16             25-Feb-98  @  04:51 AM   -   RE: Adding a subwoofer

You should try and listen to JBL subs (around $290). Even though they are not expensive and sell at Brandsmart, they have a flat response. You should use your Sub in 2 situations :
1) To check low frequencies to be shure they are well placed in your mix;
2) To impress your clients when you show them the project.

Be shure to listen to records you know VERY WELL through the system and adjust the level and crossover point EVERYTIME you mix a song.

Get a powered sub, like JBL's .
If possible, use a flat amplifier with your monitors as well. A-B both amps all the time.

The position of the sub IS important in a mix down situation since your room resonates. Try to keep it close to your body.

Good Luck !

Message 13/16             25-Feb-98  @  04:53 AM   -   RE: Adding a subwoofer

Pensamento

Sorry, forgot to put E-Mail above.

Message 14/16             04-Mar-98  @  12:01 AM   -   RE: Adding a subwoofer

Hilevelt

No worries, "mate", suppose you're English sensibilities left you at a disadvantage deciphering the obviously superior American jabbing ;) I was just fuckin wit' you back.

In some kind of delusional fit I saw myself mixing dst surround DVD's in my project studio, even though I'm still using my shit Mackie board and a crap English receiver as an amp. The system at work is ProTools-based with Tannoy 8"s all around and a Paradigm sub-, with an active speaker switcher. The room itself is pretty nice, kind of pentagonally-shaped with thick fabric on the walls and lots of cushiony chairs to soak up the sound.

While I'll admit that I'm not that great of an engineer, I do know my basics, but you gotta understand that 1) my job isn't being a sound mixer, it's music editor, which means I spend all day putting music to fit the cues, and 2) I'm trying to wire up some cheap-ass little hack setup, which I've never had to deal with being in a real studio.

Anyway, to get to the point, I don't have a lot of space, so the monitor will be placed in a corner of the room behind my keyboards going through a little $15 speaker switcher. I already paid for the sub-, but I'll return it if the resonance kills me or I can get a better lead on that JBL. (what's "Brandsmart"?)

oh yeah, ya wanna start talkin' geezer now, Kilo?!? judgin' by that ol' picture goin' 'round, you're 'bout as old as my mother! ;) Figures that played-out ancient Ice-T motherfucker couldn't handle anyone young enough to be around him fuckin' wit' the image ;)

Message 15/16             04-Mar-98  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: Adding a subwoofer

kilo

bollox....... y'cheecky twat..... :-) !!!!...... i didn't play WITH him....twas a support gig........doh!.....

Message 16/16             18-Mar-98  @  05:52 AM   -   RE: Adding a subwoofer

Hilevelt

I doubt anyone care, and you shouldn't, but the subwoofer didn't go so well. Maybe with a quality crossover and a good room.

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)