aaa seeking song critique - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: seeking song critique

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 01-Oct-04  @  11:45 PM     Edit: 01-Oct-04  |  11:47 PM   -   song critique exchange

e-effect

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

WILL BE HAPPY TO REVIEW YOUR TUNE AS WELL! Just email me or post it here

I could really use some constructive advice on my new song, Synthergy. I've put all of the production techniques I've learned thus far into this song, but am getting mixed reviews. Some really like it while others think it needs LOTS of work. I could use any advice you have including any advice on the following:

1. How is the production?

2. Do you like the way the track sounds overall? Do you like the sounds I've picked and/or do they work well together?

3. Compositionally, how does the song rate?

4. What genre do you think this fits with?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE. Let me know what song you would like me to review of yours!

e

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             04-Oct-04  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: seeking song critique

e-effect

Link?: Link

BSK

Thanks so much for the comments! I'm glad you liked my tunes. They were a lot of fun to write . I'm downloading your track as we speak and will post a review of it soon!

e

Message 12/17             04-Oct-04  @  02:53 AM   -   RE: seeking song critique

e-effect

BSK

Here's your promised review of the way you make me feel:

I really enjoyed this track! The song structure had lots of variety, which I thought kept it very interesting. The vocal samples were very well produced from the vocoding to the eq'ing. Main synth sounds were cool. I did think it could use some work in a few areas.

First, the kick. It sounded a little weak on my end. I thought it could be brought up in the mix with some mid and low range eq boost. The mid will help give it a little punchiness and the low end will give it the dancefloor boom. When I do kick eq, I increase the gain in the mid range and then sweep the mid range frequency knob through the spectrum until I find the "punchy" frequency. I do the same fo the low range.

Secondly, the saw wave synth in the intro could use some more reverb. Maybe even a touch of cross delay on the back end too would fill the track out a bit more.

The vocal sample that starts at 2:26 seemed a little off the beat to me. May want to have another listen to this part. It may be that the whole sample just needs backed up a bit in your playlist.

Now to the vocal sample at 3:47. I liked this sample a lot, but I would bring this down in volume level, and take out some of the low range. It kind of towered over everything. The production on it was awesome it was just a little too much in my face.

Overall, this was real fun track to listen to. Please let me know when you post other stuff!

e

Message 13/17             06-Oct-04  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: seeking song critique

horacio.larrechea

Link?:  No link

hi mate, i really apreciatte what you say. yesterday i've heard my trax in a club system for the first time and what you know about kick is tottaly true. Are you dj?
where are you from?
how can i download some e-effect tracks, i tell you, i'm involved in a fm radio at my town and i'm sure people here would like your music a lot.
if you wish to take a look i have upload 2 tracks at 7161 , posted like " 2 dance pop trax from argentina" or directly to www.soundclick.com/bands/6/playtoy.htm
please let me know what you think , you got a good ear to detect the main things

horacio

Message 14/17             06-Oct-04  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: seeking song critique

horacio.larrechea

hey, me again i was reading the others critics and mine and i really believe that this "cheezy thing" in trance music is the key for something.
i insist synths sounds in timbo or nepts productions are ovbiuos (not the beat) but they made from a dead genre like r&b the most creative music of this last times

Por fin!!!! i can upload a new track at thi site, i'll make a post soon.
Horacio

Message 15/17             07-Oct-04  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: seeking song critique

e-effect

I'm totally seeing what you're getting at with the cheesy synth thing. You're talking about staple sounds: sounds that you immediately associate with an aritst when you hear them. To my ear, the sounds in Synthergy didn't seem cheesy, but to some they do. It's all a matter of preference, and I agree that some listeners are going to like cheesy synths! I guess I'm one of them .

I will download your soundclick trax ASAP and post a review. Until then...

e

Message 16/17             08-Oct-04  @  11:10 PM   -   RE: seeking song critique

Togo Peffin

Hmmm. Song critique, eh? Your song certainly follows the protocol of 'boom boom boom' music: a repetitive beat accompanied by an occasionally changing chord sequence on an irritating synth, which in turn is accompanied by the pain-inducing high-pitch whines of an electronic, er, thing. A couple of minutes in, we are blessed by a temporary break from the beat, that being replaced by some echoing hi-hats, while the basic melody is varied moderately, and after a short while of that, we get some type of synthetic pseudo-drum-roll to re-introduce the beat. The song plays. The song ends.
Togo has questions:
Why do you need to ask reviewers to talk about 'how the song rates compositionally' when the song quite clearly follows the exact pattern that is present in almost all songs in this genre? (Togo supposes that he would call it dance. Agree?)
Why do you feel the need to keep yourself in this musical uniform when you could easily deviate from some of these dance music norms and create something that sounds at least slightly different from a million other songs?

You're perfectly welcome to review Togo's music, but he won't pay much attention to whatever you say.
Togo

Message 17/17             09-Oct-04  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: seeking song critique

horacio.larrechea

hey e-effect , you 've got this togo gift, ah..
hey togo , i have a theory becuz you are in the top of charts
but if i open my mouth it could destroy you, and i like you

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)