aaa Swing settings - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Swing settings

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 14-Mar-01  @  08:20 PM   -   Swing settings

strangefruit

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hey all - I was just wondering if anyone could give any feedback regarding swing settings that many people use. I love the sound of some of the deeper house and cannot really seem to get that swing - almost a delay toward the end of a bar. Does anyone know how this is done? Or if no swing setting is used, perhaps a different timing other than straight 4/4?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             30-Mar-01  @  05:18 AM   -   RE: Swing settings

k

Link?: Link

there is some midifiles you can grab and checkout see the main drumgroove forum page at the top - grab some files - i added a few swing house/trancy grooves - take the hats and use them in other patterns etc etc...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/18             30-Mar-01  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: Swing settings

Pongoid

Fink, did you read the last few lines of the last paragraph I wrote?

Message 13/18             04-Apr-01  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Swing settings

fink

sorry pongoid, yeah i printed it off and will be applying the stuff this week. hopefully get some results and will advise.

cheers

Message 14/18             04-Apr-01  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Swing settings

Pongoid

BEATS 1 0 0 0  |  2 0 0 0  |  3 0 0 0  |  4 0 0 0
swng ths 0 1 0 1  |  0 1 0 1  |  0 1 0 1  |  0 1 0 1

Cool man, good luck. I should have used the graph above. Only put the swing on the checked notes.

Ape

Message 15/18             03-May-01  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: Swing settings

Charlie

I'm a bit new to this and I'm sequencing on a Korg Trinity at the moment. I don't know muich about other sequencers so this could be a really common function or unique - however - there's a function to add swing by quantising your beats to a triplet feel by a variable percentage. Pongoid's comments above seemed to make quite a lot of sense to me, I can see how I'd shift some hits but not others on the event editor. How would you shift the required beats using this quantising method? If my beats are all bang on 16ths, would I add swing with triplet 8ths or quarters or what? I'm not sure if I've made myself clear but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Message 16/18             07-May-01  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: Swing settings

BJT

I had a Jazz book around somewhere - it was more or less a students book, anyway it had a Chapter on the use of Swing in Jazz, and 8th note Swing - really helpful.

Message 17/18             12-May-01  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: Swing settings

vgeddes

Hey Guys, could you tell please explain to me what all this drum programming jargon means. What exactly does 16nth Shuffle - triplet - groove quantising mean?

All I know is that Shuffle gives the drum-track a slighty off-kilter feel. But when I try shuffle on my drum machine it doesn't really make the drum-track sound nice.

Message 18/18             03-Jun-01  @  01:16 AM   -   RE: Swing settings

bobby

Try using 16th notes. You won't really hear the shuffle/swing groove unless you do. Set your quantise/swing factors up first (ie 16th note quantise, 50% swing) and play a rapid hi-hat pattern.
Then change the swing percentage and rerecord the HH part to hear the differences in the feels.

sox

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)