aaa is there a reason for this - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: is there a reason for this

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 31-Dec-01  @  12:31 PM   -   is there a reason for this

monkeyboy

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

this could be the stupidest question asked in this forum, but i was wondering why there is a black key missing on the keyboard? what i mean is that there is no E sharp/F flat, why is this? ive got the jist of the layout- 8 notes...12 semitones, but i dont understand WHY these semitones are not there. does any one know or is it just a case of 'because it is'?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             17-Jan-02  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: is there a reason for this

bedwyr

Link?: Link

poison code, lol.

Message 12/18             17-Jan-02  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: is there a reason for this

knowa

funnny, xoxos. miscegenation of the half-steps. right, the white keys=c major scale. what I meant was, I would be curious to know why c major and not e.g. d minor became the scale around which the layout was organized, and if there was ever any old-school d-minor-centric harpsichords. or something. jesus, who cares? I post up here every three secnds because for the last two weeks my job has entailed searching for repeated or similar questions in a 400+ page interview. hence, my interest in the possible existence of old-school, d-minor-centric harpsichords.

Message 13/18             17-Jan-02  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: is there a reason for this

monkeyboy

so the answer to my question is basically...because it is 

i realise there isnt actually a note missing i was just curious as to why E sharp and F flat weren't represented on the keyboard as a black key like all of the other notes. but now i see as bedwyr explained that E sharp and F flat share the same keys as E and F...but why? i dont understand how these two semitones can share the same keys as two notes...i understand its cos its the c major scale etc...but there must be a reason for this setup...or maybe the guy who designed it just wanted to f@*k with peoples heads...

Message 14/18             18-Jan-02  @  01:52 PM   -   RE: is there a reason for this

bedwyr

oh fuck.

look, it doesn't matter if it's c or z sharp. it's a major scale and all major scales have the tone tone semitone tone tone tone semitone sequence.

why do a keyboard based on a major scale? dunno.

maybe they were happier then. ;)

Message 15/18             18-Jan-02  @  03:33 PM   -   RE: is there a reason for this

knowa

actually, there is no "z sharp".

Message 16/18             19-Jan-02  @  09:01 AM   -   RE: is there a reason for this

bedwyr

oh shit! now you tell me!

Message 17/18             19-Jan-02  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: is there a reason for this

sitar

It is kinda interesting though. Whether intentionally done or not, when you go up to a keyboard you can immediately recognize where each note is because of the way the keys are grouped. If I walked up and saw a monotonous pattern of black/white/black/white all up and down, it might be hard to quickly pick out an F for example.

Message 18/18             19-Jan-02  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: is there a reason for this

Pongoid

try playing a fretless instrument with no markings like and upright bass, or violin, and you'll see why things aren't arranged simply chromaticly on a piano. Some systems allow for properly arranged intonations as well, like proper harmonic series, vs. tempered scales. Nice stuff that.

Ape

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)