aaa Doing something about music... - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Doing something about music...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 07-Sep-05  @  11:04 AM   -   Doing something about music...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm seriously considering taking some time out from my IT career to have a proper crack at the music industry. In a couple of years time I will have easily acrued enough experience in business software development to have a fall back if I fail in the music industry, and I really feel that, in later life, I will be severely dissapointed with myself if I don't give this a shot.

So, what I am after here is some advice on what line I should be taking. I am thinking about completing a degree in music production technology which will tighten up my existing skills so that I can get on with my own productions (which as you all know has been difficult recently) as well as give me other skills that I can use for cash-flow work like installations and TV, etc. Really I am completely open to suggestions and would like to hear from anyone who is involved in the industry (Psy, et al).

Any advice here is greatly appreciated.

Stephen.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             09-Sep-05  @  04:00 PM     Edit: 09-Sep-05  |  04:01 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

sox

Link?: Link

P/T = Physical Therapy..... I think you misread Cheddars post.

P/T, 3 years, no fees.

K, you should read the info they gave you... It's only 2 years!
And it's part time because the course is for professional musicians. Ones who have gigs, recording, tours et al. There'd be nobody on the damn course if it was full time....

Our drummer knows a guy who did the course some years back, and apparently he's now something like 'Head of music technology' for Cumbria district council. You get a guaranteed job placement at the end of the degree.

Yeah, that's right. His name is Andy and I'm the one who told him about the course (much in the same way you got to know about it.) He's not "Head of Music Technology", he's the music officer for Cumbria. Ask me about him next week when your in da office. It's an interesting story what he's done up there (and he still rings every once in a while to pick my brains...or is that "pickle" ).

There is NO guaranteed job at the end of it.... BUT......
The course has a 90% employment rate at the end of it. (Wonder how many of you college/uni types can claim the same statistics regardless of subject). Even the f*ckups on the course end up getting employed as music tutors because Project Development is a large part of the 2nd year.

Check CM Ltd if anyone else wants to read about what we do here.

sox
K's future technology teacher (2nd semester!)

Message 12/18             09-Sep-05  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

monkeybasket2001

Link?:  No link

lol, didnt misread just assumed that he was slagging some subject off- but really i should have accessed that second brain cell and worked it out as i have to use those initials all the time here...what a part-timer

greg

Message 13/18             09-Sep-05  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

beds

steve, i've been scraping a living from music for 15 years maybe. started off playing in bands then got into doing soundtracks for animation shorts then tv and film. still on the breadline, but got into a position now where this week i've been putting up shelves and painting in a room with a lovely view of our fantastic millenium stadium.

you have the musical talent, make the time time use it.

but regular income? get used to being self-employed or get a proper job. ;)

i remember reading an interview with brian tappert and marc pomeroy (soulfuric) about when they used to have day jobs and the music started kicking off for them, they were weary of quitting the day job to go do it fulltime. you can do it part-time and see where it goes. ... making a clean break has it's advantages too

Message 14/18             09-Sep-05  @  11:17 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

K just out of interest if I made a tune and it sold 1000 copies worldwide on a small label, how much money could I expect? A £1 a record sold?

theres practicaly no money in 12" now - if you sold 1000 and made zero compilations depending on your deal you could expect a few hundred on sales ( its all after break even and runs of 1000 barely cover the cost, well to press and sell 600-650 would break completely even so everything over that is profit )

if your track is big enough to shift nearer 2k units its gonna make a good few comps where the money actually is, then after that theres the majors ready to licence a big club track from an indy label

bigger comp deals vary but if you think of something like 18 percent retail/dist divided by the number of tracks on comp = cut ( so 18% of 100,000 units at £10 % 40 tracks )

thats keeping things in big round numbers and a bit optimistic for easy calculation lol, but in an ideal world if each tarck you did made 3 or 4 major comps and 3 or 4 smaller you can see where the money is for release - the actual vinyl part is used for promotion to bedroom djs/club djs as much as anything else to get the interest out now (and its dwindling month by month sadly   )

remember there also publishing involved for everything that has your name on it, right down to the copyright control cuts of each record pressed to everytie its played/broadcast on radio - publishing deals often provide the best upfront advances if your willing to sign off 30% of your pubs for ca duration as they scramble for the hottest new money maker

blu

Message 15/18             10-Sep-05  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

sox

but regular income? get used to being self-employed or get a proper job. ;)

Truer words you could not have written...

The first thing I do with my young adult students is tell them to forget being a performer. If you want to make money in the music biz, the performer is the LAST person to make any money.....

Films/Advertising/Music Libraries

Management/PR/Own label

Recording Engineer (although it takes a VERY special kind of person to want to sit in a room with no sunshine, like a mushrooom, for hours at a time listening/mixing/recording music that other people make and you probably don't even like)

These have way higher possiblities of making enough to pay rent and the odd pint.....

sox

Message 16/18             10-Sep-05  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

k

Link?:  Link

Recording Engineer

yeah what a job... you get 'Pit Pony' syndrone, sunlight will eventualy destroy you like Dracula

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 17/18             10-Sep-05  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

milan

according to his friends, psy's nickname in school was dracula so no wonder he's a succesful recording engineer

i shouldnt laugh tho... i'm learing to do video editing/cutting. yay... another no-daylight job opportunity!

Message 18/18             11-Sep-05  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

psylichon

File?:  [image]

[image file]

That's Drax, milan.

Hey, one of our control rooms actually has a big window with lots of grass and trees on the other side, see? I'm still white as paper, though.

I think a successful career in engineering almost takes as much luck as it does skill, unfortunately. I have friends with similar training as mine, and they just didn't make the right phone call at the right time so they're not getting their 40 hours a week now.

Lucky though I am, I don't really have visions of being a big-name engineer for "top artists" anymore. That path takes even more sheer luck.

As beds said, you just have to expect slim periods and having a backup is nice.

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)