aaa From the bottom up..... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: From the bottom up.....

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 17-Feb-99  @  03:36 PM   -   From the bottom up.....

richard.munoz

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Perhaps I am a bit on the dim side, but I seem to not be able to get much in the way of exciting sounds when I attempt to program my supernova. I own a JP8000 and with that machine you can really get some weird and wonderful noises just by twiddling. The manual even gives a 'from the bottom up' approach to creating your own programs. However, the pre-sets in the Supernova are brilliant, and I am loathe to over write. So I started using the Vanillia sounds in bank D and twiddled away. All I got was a high pitch whine, which seems very hard to change! I know this cannot possibly be the case, so for us thickos, can someone please give me a fool prooof from the bottom up approach? the manula does not seem to supply one, and if it does, where? Help!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             21-Feb-99  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: From the bottom up.....

jangley

Hooray for Phil!

Posting tips on sound creation is a great idea and something that most companies would never take the time to bother doing. It makes good sense to me - people who get good results out of their SNs make good sales from word-of-mouth.

There's a lot of power under that blue cover and it's sometimes very difficult to use some of the more obscure facilities to produce anything musically useful. I know that I found FMs recent article on "how-to" lead sounds very useful. Lots of advice on what multiple oscillators are good for would be nice, for example.

Over to you

J

Message 12/18             21-Feb-99  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: From the bottom up.....

Jangley

Just one more thing...

I find it REALLY difficult to figure out how the factory patches "work" because there's no way to see what settings are in a glance. Is there any way to get a pictoral represention of the ADSR envelopes? Is there any software which does this?

Thanks

J

Message 13/18             21-Feb-99  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: From the bottom up.....

fin

I'd just like to add my voice to this thread by saying that I think the Supernova is one of the most obvious and easy-to-create synthesizers on the planet! If you're familiar with programming real analog machines then it's doddle. The modulation matrix is just like the Oberheim idea and the filter section is pretty straight forward. Building the sound up from one oscilator at a time, adding and layering, the machine really flows with you when you program it.

I'm not shouting at people having a problem here, I just wanted to shout out a VERY LARGE POSITIVE comment on programming the Supernova!

Novation are a living legend!

One request, please create a "soft-modular" version, like the Nord Modular, but with the warmth of the Supernova!!!

Fin.

Message 14/18             21-Feb-99  @  09:27 PM   -   RE: From the bottom up.....

Mickey

J - diving into how the presets work will be MUCH easier when the Supernova adaption for SoundDiver will be ready. Expect this some while after the release of OS 3.

Mickey.

Message 15/18             22-Feb-99  @  10:39 AM   -   RE: From the bottom up.....

richard.munoz

Well I started it I guess!
I really hope my comments wernt taken as 'negative' in the slightest by Phil. At the end of the day, I bought the machine, and that in itself is positive! Anyway, the sound creation page sounds like a BRILLIANT idea, as does the yamaha method though. All Im asking really is a quick way to get original sounds up and running, a constructive critique of a an awesome machine. Thanks for all your comments on the thread I started. The re-programming of existing sounds works a treat by the way. Wish there were more pages like this....

Message 16/18             22-Feb-99  @  11:57 AM   -   RE: From the bottom up.....

Phill

You can see the values of where the parameters are set by Pressing the Compare Button and holding it down then while holding it down twidling the knob...

I will start planning a page on sound creation after the Messe...

Phill@Novation

Message 17/18             22-Feb-99  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: From the bottom up.....

Paul

I'd like to add comment to waht fin said above. I have only had a short play on the SN (I have a BS and DS at my disposal). To me it seemed pretty straight forward to get to grips with. I can see why those familiar all purpose S+S synths may find the methods confusing but any one who has used analogues before should find this straight forward.

In fact just looking at the front panel makes everything seem pretty easy.

On the subject of delay. Setting the delay time to exactly the bpm figure rarely produces a great result. It is much better to adjust the delay by ear without looking at any displayed figures you may have. You may be surprised what works best.

Paul

Message 18/18             25-Feb-99  @  12:07 PM   -   RE: From the bottom up.....

cyberdog

maybe the Wizzoo-Guide to analog-synthesis may be interesting for you: http://www.wizoo.com/docs/english/framer.htm

Greetz

Stefan

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)