aaa Microwave XT or Nova 4 house?????? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 21-Mar-99  @  08:44 PM   -   Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

shamu buff, the stuff king

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi guys, its shamu here. i want 2 get your opinions on whether the XT or nova is better suited 4 house. i know that the xt has an "analog classics" soundset that supposedly sounds nice and cheesy but im not sure how this thing would stack up 2 the nova overall.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             02-May-99  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

kilo

but it is relevant about house, cos what sorta house you wanna do ?.... that will influence the synths you buy - and acid house aint dead really - although hard house has become like the lad's & lasses clubsounds nchoice for a saturday night out in a way at commercial disco/clubs level, other styles still persist.... well the Nova gives you FM very good, but acid too if that's yer bag, and you get lots of loverly square waves etc - it can do everything from hard-house to acid retro to club-sounds - i dunno about the xt, but the supernova handles all styles fine... i've done some fat-as-fuck jason nevins/dmc style beats too using the Nova's kik & hat drum sounds as well...(but with a snare sample), it can do old Vince clarke 80's style stuff ,,, (actually listening to a D&B track right now which has a sample from Upstairs-at-Eric's - it's that sound intro from that track where the old woman is talking about Dragons etc) - perfecto !.... what i mean is you can't really go wrong with a supernova, it wont let you down - whatever style you wanna do... if you want euro or hard house styles eq a hard midrange - for fatter styles etc fatten it with more bottom and thin out the mid etc.... luverleee jubbly

Message 12/18             03-May-99  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

shamu

ok supernova is like 2000 right? what about an xt and a virus (prably around 2300 total)? i think the xt would do alright in house. i want 2 make weird sounds with the xt, and wouldnt the virus do all the fm sounds? cheesy organs and stuff? i think i can definitely make the xt work for house.

Message 13/18             03-May-99  @  03:33 PM   -   RE: Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

k

sure - absolutley - and any synth CAN be utilised as all this "the correct" synth stuff is to an extent garbage - but all i mean is the s/Nova gets you multiple outs & fx and it's a snip to dub live with it in multi-mode and all you need is a mixer nothing more like fx etc - other thing is the xt takes you into the usual menu's mode for editing etc - not good for easy tweaking & sound creation - good synth tho

Message 14/18             08-May-99  @  11:17 PM   -   RE: Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

shamu

no no no!!!!! i will not buy a snova!!!! ill buy a xt, a virus , an a3k, and a pulse and i WILL make it work 4 house. seriously i think that setup up will kick anything's ass 4 house OR techno. it will blow that ugly blue dorky lookin thing out. u have 2 agree w/me on that 1, right? right? uhhhhhh, please say u agree, just a little, k?

Message 15/18             08-May-99  @  11:19 PM   -   RE: Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

shamu

btw i totally agree with the fact that there is no correct synth for a style-dont get me wrong. i just never liked the way the nova sounded

Message 16/18             10-May-99  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

k

well mate whereas before you were talking sense the last post takes it into loony-toons land - so don't buy it cos you don't like it's looks - good solid descision-making criteria i reckon you've got there... er.... i will say tho that the a3000 & the snova would do pretty much the lot - all with fx built in so for studio or live there is no need for any additional kit except a mixer amp & speakers... whereas the other option whilst cool means you gotta also buy several multi-fx units (8 in total) to get close to the fx possible per-part with just the snova - that is worth thinking about - cos the delays, distortion-fx, reverbs & eq's etc make alot of difference to each sound in a mix - a HUGE difference..... nowt wrong with your choice tho - it's just your critria for choosing it that is a tad suspect... also the nova comes with banks apon banks of classic emulations ready to go.... there is alot of difference beteen 6 parts playing in a mix with no fx at all from a virus, and 8 parts in a mix WITH FX from the snova.....for me, when the snova is burning a mix up in STEREO-OUT mode with it's fx AND EQ on each channel, it is ready to go and sounds deep and complete... that is very conveniant cos you don't need anything more than a stereo line-in channel to get it out to the house pa as a complete mix... so you gotta get lots of fx too to get the same flexibility with the others... and each fx unit has to be midi controllable too.... it's a choice.... like i say - nowt wrong with the kit you list at all - they are all great units, and will sound great with a mixer & fx units...... but bare the fx & eq thing in mind...

Message 17/18             16-May-99  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

shamu

i was just kiddin about the way it looks- i dont really care. u have made several points that really made me think. how would the q20 handle such a task? how many would i need? (wow, theyre $800 a piece). i cant do without the xt though, i love its sound. so neway, am i 2 assume that u r a diehard snova fan? is that ur main synth?

btw do u know where i could get the fruityloops or logic plat manuals?

Message 18/18             17-May-99  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: Microwave XT or Nova 4 house??????

k

not a diehard nope, got lotsa synths - - just inputting some thought-creating stuff ...

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)