aaa Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 20-Sep-00  @  01:41 AM   -   Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

redchurch

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Ok, I've seen lots of questions of this nature (how do I...?) but my ultimate question is: How the hell does Richard D. James or mu-ziq program such cool messed up rythms? How do they get that stuttering (but on time) effect? It's almost like they run their drum loops through a randomizing program that completely scrambles them. I've tried numerous times to duplicate this with no luck - I have however come up with interesting new tricks. 1) Try taking your drum loop and using something like Cool Edit to STRETCH it using low precision. 2) Program a beat, then record it and open it in Sound Forge or Cool Edit and cut out certain samples and paste them around in interesting ways.

If anyone knows how Aphex or mu-ziq do this please share.

-redchurch

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/19             25-Sep-00  @  09:45 AM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

fReAk-1C

Link?: Link

k, about that thing where you map the 8ths or 16ths of a beat across a keyboard and jam it out, there are ways to get more creative with that. if your sampler has multiple outs, assign different sections of the beat to different channels and process them with different eq/fx. also try adding filters to only some of the parts, and allow some of them to be pitch-bent with your MIDI wheel. looping certain sections, both forward and alternating, can make for some interesting results as well.

so just be creative and remember; even if you made a beat that sounds abit shitty, doing some wack things to it on a sampler can make it fun.

enjoy

Message 12/19             25-Sep-00  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

sehatlevik

I assume you're talking about thing where you hear the "bouncing ball"(?)
If that's it you should try using a wave editor (I've been using Wave Lab), just CTRL-C the sample and then paste the sample in at increasingly shorter intervals.
I've been using the AnalogX.com delay calculator to find out exactly where I'm supposed to paste the sample.
I'm expressing myself poorly here, I'll try to make a better effort:
If you want a bouncing ball effect, first paste the sample in at 0ms, then after the time corresponding to a bar, then after the time corresponding to 1/3 of a bar, then at the time corresponding to 1/2 a bar and continue in that way, constantly shifting between triplets and those notes that are divisible by four (I'm not English, so my tech jargon isn't the best.)

seh;;;

Message 13/19             27-Sep-00  @  03:08 AM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

nunchucks

another tip for getting those drill sounds is to loop snares(or bass and cybals if you want) then map the snare across the keyboard(not all the way just a couple of keys)loop them very roughly and you should get some inter3esting drill sounds. also do program all of you drums in a drum editor. use the matrix edit(piano roll) for snare samples when you make them set the release to 0. then crank the resolution of the matix edit way up like 1/96 note or higher. then vary the lenth of the notes(drum) that helps to give you that kindof cutup feel to. because the drum sounds don't gt to play all the way. don't know if i expained this very well but oh well

Message 14/19             08-Oct-00  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

AstralPrizm

Let me help ya' out.
Open up fruity loops.
Set the tempo to about 300.
And get to work!!
That's a better than you've had all day.
Just because the tempo's that fast.
Doesn't mean the groove has to be.
If you need more help...E-mail me.
I'll send ya' some examples.

Message 15/19             09-Oct-00  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

ivan

Doubling the tempo is just another way of doubling the resolution... just use 32th instead of 16ths for the same effect.

Message 16/19             09-Oct-00  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

teemu

One trick that is used by d&b producers a lot is to use different lengths for the drums. Something as simple as making every second snare a bit shorter can give the track a lot more dynamic feel.

If you want to go really mental you can always go over the top and make every drum sound really short(16th or 32th) and turn off any quantization. Put the sequencer on loop, press Record and just bang the keyboard until it starts to sound like Aphex Twin. Works for me...

Message 17/19             10-Oct-00  @  03:27 AM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

First take A LOT OF LSD, then listen to a BUNCH of really good old-skool funk records like P-funk stuff, then some good electro, like Underground
resistance stuff, take some more LSD, until your sense of hearing really gets twisted, then try to remember what you heard and reprogram it on your synths. It's not impossible, but it does take time, a highly creative imagination, and killing quite a few brain cells in the process. Also, some garage sale secret weapons don't hurt. Good luck.

Ape

Message 18/19             11-Oct-00  @  04:23 AM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

jas who?

what happened to my earlier post was it deemed unworthy

or somethin' damn!!!!

wtf???

--------------------------------------closetotheedit--

Message 19/19             23-Oct-00  @  05:20 AM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

Benjamin.Terrill

Cutting up Beats in wavelab...

R U guys thinking of Granular Synthesis?

try downloading Granulab, search for it, its shareware.

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)