aaa New synth- virus, waldorf, nord... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 11-Dec-02  @  07:41 PM   -   New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Looking

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm thinking about selling my novation SN2 and I was open to any suggestions on what new synth to get. I produce electronic music a la prodigy, upbeat-portishead, cheimcal bros, crystal method type BBs.

I was looking at the Virus C, but I'm not usre if the company is so stable and I've had a problem with some companies (Quasimidi) not being so good. Any help is appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/19             16-Dec-02  @  07:50 AM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

queasy00

Link?:  Link

umm... thought i'd two cent it.
the C has the eq's on it... that'd be awesome and saves you a hassle if you vary it a lot and doing a live thing.

i have a B tho, but it still makes me giddy every time.

-j
ps: access always comes out with much support via os udpates (c'mon! they went through the hassle of recoding the os to get rid of the demo song to fit more sounds!! that's commitment eh  ) and helpful links (like how to make your virus sound like a moog, 303, etc.)

Message 12/19             16-Dec-02  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Looking

I appreciate all the info, but I'll stick to the SN2 for a little longer and I guess if I want the Virus I'll just buy the rack.

I've been spending a lot more time with the SN2 and I've been getting some good sounds out of it. I have the Karma and the Nord Modular also, but I can't break them out because of my limited space at the moment and this is why I've been on the SN2 a lot more. Thanx!

Message 13/19             16-Dec-02  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

99devils

Link?: Link

You let $4k in synths sit because of lack of space? I wish I had the problems some of you people are having.. My two-thousand-dollar synth sucks. I'm gonna spend another two thou but I don't want another synth that sucks  

and:

But... remember that Virus B/C only has one global delay/reverb.. thats right u dont even get both delay reverb. Thats why i stick with my nova.. Nova sounds thin and a bit boring, but it has a great interface, and much fx on every part. Maybe i'll buy a virus if they put in both delay and reverb in a future os.

Dude, that's what software is for. FUCK the built in effects. Although because of spec-junkies I can buy all the Nord Leads I want for pretty much nothing. Thanks to everyone who cares about how many delays the synth has and not how good the damn thing sounds as a synth.

-Craig

Sorry about the rant, I'm trying to quit smoking.

Message 14/19             17-Dec-02  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

anon med student

unless you smoke a pack a day for 15 years, (on average) thats 109,500 cigs, you really wont start to develop early lung cancer symptoms. Some people it takes anywhere between 25-30

=)

Enjoy yourself why you can and just for the love of god don't smoke in your studio and plan to sell your gear

Message 15/19             17-Dec-02  @  06:20 AM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Looking

Yeah pretty much right now all the room I have is for my MPC 4000, my SN2, a mixer, two compressors, and my computer- what a drag!

Message 16/19             17-Dec-02  @  06:50 AM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

psylichon

You can make whatever the hell you want with that setup. Sell the rest and invest in your computer/sw

psy

Message 17/19             17-Dec-02  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

errata

You better live in a car! Jesus I'd prop that Nord modular on my head if I had to!

I love onboard effects!!! But Craig's right, it's the engine that should drive the purchase and effects if it's still a toss up. Honestly I don't think the novation engine and the virus engine are even comparable... They're VERY different sounding... both have extreme personality! and you can do anything you want on either beyond that!

hey, that Nord Modular can do the work of the SN and the virus... get it out of it's exile! And, um... get a Waldorf Q if you need another synth!

e

Message 18/19             18-Dec-02  @  05:33 AM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

brett

get a virus A or B, and run it through an electro harmonics micro synth, and maybe a pod. you should do just fine at getting those sounds you are looking for. i have used the supernova, and the waldorf. the virus is a keeper, and on it's own capable of some pretty griity stuff, but using pedals and the processors i mentioned will help a lot at getting big beat sounds. the noavtion and waldorf left too much to be desired. nord is great, but polyphony is a major issue for me with that synth. only four part multi as well.

Message 19/19             29-Dec-02  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Breakerbox

Stop telling the guy get more synths I think he needs to sell some.. WTF man? He can get sounds he wants out of nova, Nord modular and Karma... He doesnt need more... if he cant get the sound of that setup someway.. (run the nova filters thru the Nord modular.. add fx.. sample to mpc play it back to nova.. reverse it stretch it.. chop it to 128ths, resample it add fx to it resamople it.. the list goes on..)May be he should learn to use your gear...i dont know man.

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)