aaa Setting up a room acousticly. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Setting up a room acousticly.

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 26-May-05  @  10:58 PM   -   Setting up a room acousticly.

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Does anyone please know how to set up a room acousticly with a PAZ analyser. Someone told me that if I play a test tone through my speakers and then record it I can find out where in the room I need to place acoustic material. As you can probably tell from this post I have absolutely no idea how this is done lol, does anybody know the proper way to do this please? Also what is the ideal RT60 time for a room that is to be used for mastering, I was told 0.3? Thank you

L.Dudley

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/19             28-May-05  @  12:36 PM   -   RE: Setting up a room acousticly.

k

Link?:  Link

hey hey anyways, have you made any music yet Lloyd?... i think you should go for it and not worry about the other stuff, just go for it. Don't get into that whole "I cant do anything until i get perfection", cos you'll never get that.

Btw influx, i updated all the code for the icons above the message-box... Look, you can do this with the 'http' icon

http://www.genelec.com/support/frstand.php

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/19             28-May-05  @  12:49 PM     Edit: 28-May-05  |  12:57 PM   -   RE: Setting up a room acousticly.

k

If the speaker is placed near a wall, the wall presents an extension of the baffle of the loudspeaker at low frequencies, and this step change in the radiated level decreases.

Usually near field monitors are designed to radiate correctly in free field. The step change described above is compensated for in the design of the speaker. If this speaker, then, is placed near a boundary, its frequency response will be modified, and we experience a bass boost. The Genelec monitors have versatile room response controls to take care of these changes

yeah whatever, but this is something you cant seem to impress on noobs.... they rush out to buy 'Nearfeild monitors' and then place them on a shelf near a wall

that's why I use hi-fi BOOKSHELF speakers - my main monitors only work well if i can place them on supports in the middle of the room or at least with a nice 5-6 ft of space behind them to the rear wall - they worked best of all the places i ever had them setup, when i had them in a decent sized room, each one on a pile of breeze blocks with a bag of sand on top to place them on - that works great. Where I live now, i just dont use them, they are in the other room disconnected and stored for further use

one of my mates had some 'monitors' (alesis) - he had a free-standing shelf setup across a window space, about 4 ft from the glass and with the curtains drawn (heavy curtains) - The speakers were facing him, with a 4ft gap behind which was filled by:

• The drape/curtain about 1ft behind ther speakers.
  • and behind the drapes a further 3ft gap to the glass/frames

the whole window space was about 8ft wide, and he had a fantastic sound from that setup

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/19             28-May-05  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: Setting up a room acousticly.

k

test quote box

smilie  
saddie  

Message 14/19             31-May-05  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: Setting up a room acousticly.

Lloyd Duddley

Yeah, got quite a few tracks now. Dunno whether anyone would like em tho lol.

Message 15/19             31-May-05  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: Setting up a room acousticly.

k

well fuck man, post some up!

Message 16/19             31-May-05  @  11:18 AM   -   RE: Setting up a room acousticly.

Lloyd Duddley

Ok how do I do this? Do I need web space???

Message 17/19             31-May-05  @  11:39 AM   -   RE: Setting up a room acousticly.

beds

Link?: Link

Message 18/19             31-May-05  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: Setting up a room acousticly.

Lloyd Duddley

Tried that, LMAO, literally can't find where to add it. Feeling brain dead

Message 19/19             31-May-05  @  09:49 PM     Edit: 31-May-05  |  09:52 PM   -   RE: Setting up a room acousticly.

urbicide

yeah, I'm with you guys... Lloyd, dont worry too much about room acoustics. put the talent out and if you've got it, start thinking about how your gonna make it sound better later on.

It's good to have a dead room... your production method changes and you record audio thats great from the start (if ya got good ears). But it's a big waste of money when the music aint nothing.

If you feel the need... put objects in the room... bookshelves (with books) or pile random gear in the corners to absorb some sound or even put mats on the walls... it'll help a little... your best bet is to understand the room/monitors combination, so later on, the post process is easier, if it comes to be.

Mastering is an art itself... We can attempt, but it's an interesting field that I havent gone near. Get opinions first... Make sure your ready. if so, spend the $$$ and make the product. But you gotta have something worthwhile.

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)