aaa SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 06-Feb-99  @  01:43 AM   -   SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

josgc

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I know this question appears in other mails posted to the forum, but I think this is enough important to be taken appart; the fact is that it is virtually impossible to simulate gating effects via midi -which can be done through quick changes on the volume levels, controller 7-, because when done the supernova produces a disagreadable series of clicks which makes the sound useless. And this is not about little noise: all the sound is masked by the noise. I work with other synths and no one did this under the same conditions, so Iīm really questioning myself if this synth really deserves the standing it has. I donīt know if this problem can be solved, and even in that case I doubt if I would live enough to see an OS capable of solving it; all that I can say is that Iīm very dissapointed with the results Iīm obtaining of a machine that is said to be very flexible but proves to be as flexible as an iron bar... (no, I never tried to melt it yet). Talking seriously, this is very frustrating. When I play the piano I donīt have to care about strings braking everytime so that I can concentrate myself on the music, and thatīs the only thing I want from the supernova. Reliability.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/19             16-Feb-99  @  02:12 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

mike.clarke

The Performance I switch to is any Performance. The Program I switch, again, is any Program, but this doesn't happen all the time. It seems like something will happen (I think it's when switching programs while a sound is playing, but I'm not entirely sure) and it switches into nasty Program click mode. Today I've managed to stop the Performance click (no idea how), but it came back after switching off and on again. It happens every time with Performance switching, and every time with Program switching when it's gone into nasty click mode (that's with changing Programs inside a Performance or switching in Program mode)

OS version is 2 from the downloads page.

The MP3 is forthcoming (I'm just having trouble re-creating the massive click when sounds stop playing)

One other thing....(and I get none of these problems with OS1) I came into work today and the thing was sending out constant EXTREMEMLY LOUD noise and making my stereo output clip.

MikeC

Message 12/19             16-Feb-99  @  02:26 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

mike.clarke

OK, I think I've got it sussed. Could somebody else try this, please?

Go to Program mode. Go to A077 (Sweep 12db). Now press down loads of keys at high velocity and change programs while holding the keys down.

Now I get clicks when I change programs (or in fact a second or two of extremely loud noise). If I go to A080 (Mech Bass) and do the same thing, the clicking stops.

One of the MP3s I'm sending is VERY nasty, Phil.

MikeC

Message 13/19             16-Feb-99  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

chris

Also seems to happen for me when I change waveforms during a note from saw -> square. Also, some sounds with attack 0, decay 0, sustain max seem to have a click as well. It happens all over (new Supernova, came with OS2).

Chris

Message 14/19             17-Feb-99  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

Phill

Thanks...I'm on to it ...willb advise tomorrow

Cheers

Message 15/19             19-Feb-99  @  02:22 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

mike.clarke

Ah yes, but as shown in this very case....tomorrow never comes.  

MikeC (still waiting)

Message 16/19             19-Feb-99  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

mike.clarke

MikeC (still waiting)

Message 17/19             19-Feb-99  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

mike.clarke

MikeC (still waiting)

Message 18/19             19-Feb-99  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

josgc

As my problems with clicking are different from the ones other people described, I must ask if a mp3 of the clicks I have is needed.

Message 19/19             19-Feb-99  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

Phill

I have got the MP3s

I will look into it.

I will advise ASAP but be aware that Frankfurt Messe is coming soon..

Phill

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)