aaa Are the effects really worth it?! - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Are the effects really worth it?!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 26-Oct-00  @  12:47 PM   -   Are the effects really worth it?!

Maarten

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I thought about upgrading my MPC with the effects board. Having no idea what the costs would be (was thinking in the range of $200-250), I called my dealer and was corrected to $600. For less ca$h I can buy an external dedicated device (lexicon amongst others.), a Zip drive and additional memory. I'm wondering now if someone can tell me if the MPC's add-on is really worth it.
I'd really like to hear what you think.

Thanks in advance,

-M-

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/23             31-Oct-00  @  08:47 AM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

Maarten

Link?:  Link

They put in extra here! Yay!

Message 12/23             01-Nov-00  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

chris

Link?:  No link

I've found the eb-16 fx card very usefull. Reasons I got one instead of an outboard fx unit was that you can then apply diff send levels to each sound going out on the same channel. Even better, when you save your Program, you save the various different levels of effects. If you had an outboard unit, you would need to tweak your fx levels on your mixer each time you loaded that preset. The fx are good for distortion and mod effects, delay etc. They have that distinct akai sound to them, which is good. However, for true lush effects, a dedicated unit would be better. I use my akai fx on presets where I have lots of individual samples I want to engineer differently.. eg.. drums !!

Message 13/23             02-Nov-00  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

GT

I don't have an MPC but....

EB-16? This kicks the dingle berries out of the MPX100, which I took back to Toys R Us.

And think about is mate...one less rack unit; plenty-o-wires less; and your signal path is not degraded by AD/DA conversions, imo, very important.

You've got maddening presets, great verbs and some "non other than Akai" delays.

The ONLY real prob for me is that the board only allows the effects to come out of 2 outputs at a time (L+R, {1-8 or main}...poopoo on akai for that, cus for that kinda do$h, i should have more flexible routing...ENTER MINI RANT: I mean hell AKAI, WTF? a 4 bus effects unit with only 2 out choices OUT OF 10!!! What's wrong with the air in Austin ehh?? EXIT MINI RANT (thank you)

I'm sure someone can order and ship you one from Stateside. Paypal is international now.

GT

Message 14/23             02-Nov-00  @  07:40 PM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

H

They're in Ft.Worth which is a long way from austin and the machines are designed in japan and made in japan or china so whatever is in the air in Austin probably has nothing to do w/ it.

lot's of cheeb smoke in the air in Austin they have $40 ounces.

Message 15/23             02-Nov-00  @  10:49 PM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

GT

err, ya Ft Worth

Message 16/23             03-Nov-00  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

r-tek

nah, the efx aint all that compared to what you`ll get form an external box and you can just bung program change messages for the efx box at the start of a sequence to sort out the recall thing. 1 more box maybe, but it`ll go a lot further.

Message 17/23             03-Nov-00  @  04:30 AM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

GT

I'll assume you've heard the eb16....a quality box = 600USD + eazily.

Don't swear at me r-tek by saying MPX-100 or the 1 for that matter, utter marketing shite from Lexi.

GT

Message 18/23             03-Nov-00  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

r-tek

I *have* the eb16, I cant figuer out if you`re joking or not to be honest. I`m not familiar with lexicons but the efx boxes which I have used ahve been better quality and offered more variety, if not all the busses of the akai board.

Message 19/23             03-Nov-00  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

fv

I have not heard the MPX-100 from Lexicon myself. However, I have heard the MPX-1 (own a LXP-15 II which is similar in sound IMHO) and I also own the EB-16 board for my MPC. If you don't like the Lexicon stuff GT, you're one of few people. Personally, the MPX-1 offers more control over the fx, has more to tweak, has a more dense (IMHO) reverb than the EB-16 has.

I'm not saying the EB-16 is crap - I've certainly heard worse. However, your comment of "don't swear at me...." if uncalled for. If you don't like the MPX boxes that is fine and that is your personal opinion. Knocking someone cuz they have a different personal opinion (and taste which sound quality is largely based on) is uncalled for.

Where I see the EB-16 is for convenience. If I did all of my work in-studio, I would never have spent my money on the EB-16. However, it comes in handy for live use as I can store my fx settings for each program and recall them easily without having to bring along another box and without having to worry about setting up the right fx settings via midi for the external box.

Just MHO anyway. Don't take it personal ;-)
fv

Message 20/23             04-Nov-00  @  12:04 PM   -   RE: Are the effects really worth it?!

H

I know one thing The VF-1 sounds good and it can take a 2 1/2 ft drop(I dont like testing this capability in a machine)and not even end up w/ loose solder and it works fine.It landed on a polyethelene storage bin lid as I walked by and thought as I heard that second hit from the bounce"i hope that wasn't my VF-1 and turned around and almost freqd.i ran for an outlet while shaking vigorously to check for loose parts and when i plugged it in it powered up perfect and still on the last preset i powered down on so I can say that it's worth it soundwise and build quality.

-;) I imagine the look on my face peobably would have made a great DL photo.takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)