aaa What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 07-Mar-00  @  03:55 AM   -   What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

digression_factor

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII? How is the 303 emulation? Is the distortion good? How stable is it, case and tuning wise? Are the pots nice? Do they stick? Or, do they take a while to send midi data? Would this be a good controller for software (knob wise)? How good is the input? Is there lot's of noise coming out of the unit? How much does it weigh, in kgs (shipping purposes)? Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/24             05-Apr-00  @  05:16 AM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

digression_factor

The Spacebass 3.3 has a 24db filter. The Spacebass 4.4 has an 18 db filter. It has the same controls. Here is a quote from an e-mail from next! reffering to if MAM, FAT and Next! are the same company.

"NO they are not the same company. MAM is the manufacturer, they make it for us in the USA under our brand name: next! They also make it for F.A.T in England. We do not have any SB 4.4 anymore, but one of our distributors does:

David White: (617) 868-1819

The SB 4.4 is exactly the same as the MB 33 MK2."

It's as good as a teebee. Minus the CV i/o.

Message 12/24             05-Apr-00  @  05:21 AM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

digression_factor

errrr..... ummmmmm...... the spacebass 3.3, and the SUPERbass 4.4........

Message 13/24             06-Apr-00  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

phunkytek

Stanton sells Next!, and if you go to the website www.stantonmagnetics.com and scroll down you will see the Next! logo and under it reads,"By:Stanton" now go to the remix gear section I was incorrect about the filter on the SB4.4. It has an 18db filter, but when i listened to the demo's with the resonance up it sounded more like my sh-101 than my 303. Cool synth but not an authentic recreation like the future rhetro 777. But i would still recomend the teebee. It's cheap and rack mountable, and is truely a professional piece. The Next! stuff sounds good , but it's not authentic in reproducing a 303.They do make one hell of a analog vocoder though. Syntechno offers a garentee that you can't tell an original from their's.I have a 303 and in my opinion they make the best rack for the job. Happy hunting-Brett

Message 14/24             07-Apr-00  @  03:51 AM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

digression_factor

Yes, Next! is by Stanton, but MAM makes some of their products. The vocoder, tb clones, filter bank, and resonater. Go to www.mam-germany.de to see MAM's product line. Also the price differance between a fr-777, a teebee, and an mb33mkii is huge! The fr-777 is $777, the teebee is (as you said) $350, and the mb33mkii is $220 (the mb33 is $160!)! But the teebee has that nice extra of cv i/o. And the fr-777 has that ever so nice sequencer. I'd actually prefer the fr-777.

Message 15/24             09-Apr-00  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

Phunkytek

The 777 is the closest thing to a real 303 out because of the sequencer, but according to the write up in Keyboard, none of the knobs transmit controller data. It is only note on/off info and midi clock for the sequencer, so from what I've read, all those knobs are simply realtime controls. That is the 777's only flaw.

Message 16/24             09-Apr-00  @  04:55 AM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

JT Static

I'd like to remind that the MB33 MKII has a sub oscillator and I think it was used in some of those demos that's why it didn't sound like the 303.. I think subosc is a nice option for those wierder sounds. I'm getting mine in a couple of days and I'm thinking about putting up a couple of mp3's demoing the machine on my website (I'll put up the address when it's time). At least tech wise it sounds like a great clone (even 18db filter like original 303 unlike MK I which had 24db filter) by the way infected mushroom has used the earlier version of MB33 (fat freebass) in their tracks.. some nice acid lines there.

Message 17/24             10-Apr-00  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

Phunkytek

Look fwrd to hearing the demos, but it was the filter that did not sound 303. it responded with that shreaking self oscilating resonance like the 24db filters on my juno-106 and my sh-101.I was suprised to find it was an 18db filter.Great sounding acid synth,and tech wise like you said, a good clone, but from what I've listened to,not a 303 substitute, Sorry! I will keep an eye out for those mp3's.

Message 18/24             11-Apr-00  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

adamfritsche

The amount of filter resonance is adjustable on these units. The SuperBass 4.4 has a small pot on the back panel. When I got mine the resonance was set way to high, but with a little tweaking I got it toned down a bit. There is quite a bit os adjustibility on the resonance.

Message 19/24             13-Apr-00  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

Phunkytek

So how much did you pay for the sb4.4, because the last I saw they were selling at Pro Sound Stage and Lighting last year for $349.00? Which is cheaper the sb4.4 or the mb33 mkII, and where would I find a dealer.

Message 20/24             14-Apr-00  @  05:53 AM   -   RE: What do you think of the MAM MB33 MkII

phunkytek

Went to Mam's web site and downloaded their demo, and I was completely blown away. Very differant than the Next! demo on Stanton's web site. I'm sold. "wrap two up to go please!" .Sorry for being pessimistic. The mam does a great 303 line. I will definately be buying one. Glad this topic was touched upon. I originaly bought Rebirth to emulate my 303 because I was sick of take after take until I got it right. I needed automation. Now that I'm close to doing the live gigs, I need hardware pieces because quite frankly my 303 is just a sentimental piece of plastic I can't get rid of, but not studio freindly. But, I will use the Mam or an SB 4.4 from now on. Who is the best US dealer.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)