aaa Pulsar is realy good?? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Pulsar is realy good??

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 01-Jan-99  @  07:11 PM   -   Pulsar is realy good??

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

The Pulsar price is euivalent with the card?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/53             05-Jan-99  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

jdwhite

Mr Realist:
I hope you won't mind if I don't add to those End User comments offered Ted and Gedas.
I think that they did a pretty good job of painting User perspectives and I would have to ex-
pect their words to be given more validity than someone involved with the company, however
indirectly, even though I might still be a User as well.
If it happens that there are more questions people would like answered, I am happy to try to
do so. I don't claim to own and use every piece of software and hardware out there so there
might be some gaps in my knowledge, but I am fairly up to date on what is going on with
Creamware's stuff.
Sorry you feel I was trying to doubletalk you and not answer. I am not known for being shy -
or even evasive. But I do like to have a clear idea of what it is I am supposed to discuss before
I go running further off at the mouth. ;o)

Best of Luck!!

Jeff White President White Noise Marketing http://www.whitenoisemarketing.com
(888) 666-6434

Message 12/53             05-Jan-99  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

Kelaperse

This noise-guy sure uses good english and has lots of verbal talent useful in the marketing sector. But would you buy anything from him?

I wouldn't. Why? The more you convince the less convinced I get. That's why. He speaks way too much and about things nobodys propably even interested in.

Ok, Pulsar is propably one of the finest pieces of gear out there, but you noise-fella could learn to use some paragraphs in your text. Just about same way as you are selling something to someone face-to-face. You just can't speak to your clients hours and hours without letting them to open their mouth every once in a while.

I was just wondering how you managed to piss me off... Sorry.

Message 13/53             05-Jan-99  @  09:24 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

gedas.v

OK man, what would you suggest? The so-called "noise guy" is providing those who are interested with all kinds of information on the subject. Personnaly I prefer to be informed on the new appearing stuff instead of trying to guess on it. Input from the "sellers" or whatever you call them is absolutely necessary. Eventually the choice is always after you - buy it or not. He provided details that convinced me and I bought it. Still happy. My choice.

Message 14/53             05-Jan-99  @  09:27 PM   -   Talk is cheap

Mr Realist

To Mr. White Noise:

It's getting very apparent here that you are using this website as a free form of advertising, which I find ethically vile. You said you are a user of the card, and you've had chances to go into detail about it, but for some reason you are not!!! Hmmmm......

All of your posts are thinnly veiled salesman talk with out much substance or meaningful to the people in the trenches. I've reread your novelistic posts, and I still can't figure out what your points are, if there are any!!

And it's not just me, either, as a few others have voiced their displeasure. Give us a break!! This is a USERS forum, not an advertising forum.

Mr Realist

Message 15/53             05-Jan-99  @  11:34 PM   -   GET OUT OF HERE

Former marketing guy

Yes, I agree. This marketing guy spewing forth his verbiage is just stupid. "Painting user perspectives"? Is this a forum or a english scholar class?

The idea of marketing is to fool people into buying your product. Well, we're too stoopid here to understand your heady words, so it ain't workin'!!!

Message 16/53             05-Jan-99  @  11:34 PM   -   GET OUT OF HERE

Former marketing guy

Yes, I agree. This marketing guy spewing forth his verbiage is just stupid. "Painting user perspectives"? Is this a forum or a english scholar class?

The idea of marketing is to fool people into buying your product. Well, we're too stoopid here to understand your heady words, so it ain't workin'!!!

Message 17/53             06-Jan-99  @  05:04 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

jdwhite

Tsk Tsk Tsk... tew bad a cupple of yew think the onlee weigh to bee troothful is tu akt dum.

To the others, I have been trying to figure out the formatting in this forum for some time -
obviously unsuccessfully. Maybe I am the dumb one after all. ;o) But it's gonna take a lot
more than a couple of self-righteous and textually indignant mal-contents spewing their own
verbage. You don't own this place any more than I do. That you see what I am doing here as
advertising is your own ignorance showing through.

I have tried, and shall continue, to provide assistance for those requesting it. I haven't come in here and started threads - I have responded to questions. I think you might need to do a little
re-evaluation of yourselves.

As for you, Sir Reality: you want info, Babe, you got it! (Though I'll have to make sure you're
able to digest it adequately as it appears you are unable or unwilling to go acquire that simple information from the Creamware website. But I'll give it a shot just for you, Snookums, since you begged so incessantly.)

And to anyone else who who would condemn another's speech patterns,
why don't you go back to school - and pay attention this time.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Hardware:
-----PCI Card (3/4-sized)
-----Hi Speed S/TDM bus connector
-----I/O Compliment:
-------20 audio channels in, 20 audio channels out
----------Stereo analog on RCA connectors - 20-bit AD/DA
----------Coaxial S/PDIF
----------2 x ADAT OD/i (total of 16 channels)
-------MIDI In/Out/Thru
-------***Option: Pulsar Plus (not yet released) XLR analog and AES/EBU instead of S/PDIF
-----4 x 60MHz Analog Devices SHARC Processors (among fastest floating point available)

So, that's the hardware. Big whoop, right? What good is it? Well, it runs the software - that's what!

Software:
-----All software runs on the SHARC processors - not the host system.
-----Pulsar, therefore, is platform independent. It requires only power from the PCI bus and exploits whatever other system resources available, (RAM, storage retrieval, etc...)
-----Software included does not "do" HDR - it does everything except that. You continue using YOUR favorite recording software and don't have to switch to Creamware's.
-----Pulsar software DOES include:
-------Multiple Mixer variations
----------DynaMixer
---------------variable channel count (max 16) line mixer
----------BigMixer
---------------32 input channels - w/ Connected component display, Input Gain and Phase control, 6 auxes (pre/post assignable), Monitor Bus with pan and level (pre/post assignable), 4 inserts (pre/post assignable), 4-band Parametric EQ (pre/post assignable), Mute Button, Solo (in place) button, Mute Group (6) "text fader", 2 x Bus Assignment "text faders", Channel Fader, Channel Meter, Pre-fade Listen button, Mix bus assignment button, Fader/Meter Numeric displays.
---------------6 Stereo Aux Returns
---------------Talkback Input
---------------Control Room Outputs
---------------Main Mix Outputs
---------------Stereo Monitor Bus Outputs
---------------6 Mono Aux Send Masters
---------------16 Record Bus Outputs - w/ separate Output Faders, meters, and pan controls.
----------_____Mixer - oh yeah, that one hasn't been announced yet, I'm not supposed to say anything.
-------Synthesis
----------MiniSCOPE - faithful reproduction of classic 3-Oscillator Monophonic Synth, except the oscillators don't drift so I guess it sucks after all, huh? Oh yeah, it's also programmable, polyphonic, and has assignable LFOs.
----------BlueSynth - Easy to Use Prophet-style sunthesizer
----------EZ-Synth - TB-303 knock-off (I don't know how close, personally - never owned one.
----------FM One - Six operators wasn't enough, this one has eight and one of the most unique UIs there is. And yes, it does all those wonderful electric piano and bell sounds. I mean, what else would you use FM for, right?
----------Modular Synths - yes, plural. Several quite different "factory-rolled", and a "starter kit" to help you "roll you own" from the over 75 and counting assorted modules. Free patch cables included - unlimited supply!
-------Sample Players
----------Two Akai S-1000 format compatible players with basic envelope functions. Loads your favorites from the very broad library - one CD-ROM included to get you started. More formats to be supported at later dates.
-------Signal Processing
----------4-pole Filter
----------Chorus
----------Compressor
----------Delay
----------EQ, 4-band parametric
----------Flanger
----------Limiter
----------Phaser

Personal Opinions:
Okay, FWIWTY, I think the synths are absolutely astounding and more than enough reason by themselves to own Pulsar. The BigMixer and the various I/O modules and routing options make this thing a stinkin' wet dream of routing. I am having so much fun playing with the possible set-ups it pains me now to have to consider working in another environment for anything.

As far as the included effects, I am spoiled by Creamware's tripleDAT processors. I'll give them that this is version 1, (v 1.1 is due at end of January - free.) The EQ works basically the same as in tripleDAT, but the control is not as fluid at the moment. The rest of the processors are "dumbed down" for the masses. The Chorus and Flanger, for instance, in tripleDAT were brilliant - in Pulsar they look much like other conventional devices. As a matter of fact, the EQs are the only processors to stay in keeping with Creamware's traditional "non-traditional" work-surface.

Sonically, the processors sound okay. They don't jump the way they did in tripleDAT, but they are certainly usable. And, perhaps the biggist benefit is that by using them CPU load is decreased making room for more exotic Direct-X or VST or whatever plug-ins to be utilized. Personally, I loathe the notion of using a MIDI sequencer as an audio production tool, so I am waiting in earnest for tripleDAT 3.0 which will permit the Pulsar to be used in that environment.

Right now, the best interaction seems to come with Cubase. Various reports come from Users of other applications - notably Cakewalk. There have been two driver updates in the 4 weeks that the product has been out with another one due around the middle of January. This 1/15/99 driver is supposed to correct known timing offset problems using the .WAV drivers. The 32 I/O for ASIO seems to work quite nicely.

I am just having too much fun playing with the synths to focus on any serious recording right now. That, and getting familiar enough with it to perform my presentations and prepare for the upcoming trade show. As some of you have graciously appreciated, I also do a fair amount of on-line correspondance - most of it appreciated for what it is: genuine attempts to assist.

Oh yeah, by the way, all of the variable controls in Pulsar - be they synth, mixer, or whatever - can be automatized. (You guys will probably harangue me on that one too, but because of so much mis0use, I finally looked it up. In "Webster's Collegiate", there is no "automated". No charge.) So, what that means is in the current v1.0, you can assign a MIDI controller to whatever it is you want to have controlled continuously by your MIDI sequencer or hardware controller. Your choice. Mix and match. Of course, MIDI is rather coarse and only has 128 values. In v1.1 the "Automizer" module will ship, (supposedly,) and permit synchronous automation of device controls without the zipper effect. There is also supposed to be a reverb effect and maybe a couple of other goodies as well.

Now, in doing what you badgered so ineloquently for, I think it is much closer to what you were accusing me of than what I had been doing previously. But, you wanted it - so you got it. I also, if you care to notice, tried to be pretty honest about my opinions and pointed out some deficiencies that are not exactly earth-crumbling but do have to be endured at present. Overall, there seems to be pretty unanimous satisfaction with the parts that are working - which is most of them. It has only been out a month. Maybe many of you would benefit from waiting until after the NAMM show at the end of January to try to get a better picture of what is, what isn't, what may be and what is sheer conjecture from most of the other players in the industry.

Do keep in mind, most people seem to post questions without return addresses here. I might be inclined to respond privately were that not the case. I am not insensitive to "netiquette" and I don't like spam any more than the next person. That, again, is why I _answer_ questions, I don't _start_ threads. Not here, anyway. I identify myself so no one can complain that I am saying what I do and trying to portray myself as a "dis-interested" party. Those of you who've voiced a problem with it, frankly - it's YOUR problem. That's the way the ball bounces. Don't wanna know - don't read. Simple. You don't see me posting off-topic in other places and since Pulsar is rather new, there simply aren't a lot of people to respond about it yet. Give it another couple of months. ;o)

In the mean time - enjoy. Life's too short to just bitch on line.

Message 18/53             06-Jan-99  @  04:43 PM   -   That's what we wanted in the first place!!

Mr. Realist

There ya go!! It took you 4 posts to spew out the working details in pulsar. Thank You. That's all we wanted. We could have avoided all the unpleansantries if you got to it in the first place!! It's good to see you saying the processors sound okay, and not great, which is the honesty that we expect in these types of forums.

Seriously though, when you use 3 or 4 long sentences to make one simple point, you start sounding like a used car salesman. If you look at the other posts, opinions and info are given straight ahead. That's more the format for this type of website.

It's great that your an intelligent, well spoken person. But it appears condesending (is that spelled right?).

How about enough of this and more dirt on the Pulsar?

Mr. Realist

Message 19/53             07-Jan-99  @  06:00 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

jdwhite

Yo Mistah UnRe-al:

Glad you be diggin' now, Bro. It's da bomb, eh? Oh, and yes - you did misspell condescending and no - I am not condescending. I am not going to take crap I don't earn or deserve from people who haven't the spine to even name themselves, but I will continue regardless of such self-righteous and myopic individuals to help those that do seem to appreciate honest information.

You want dirt? Well, maybe we can cut through some of da mustard by you asking some questions you feel are important. This way, useless information doesn't use up that precious bandwidth. Hmmm? However, you might have to put up with a few extra sentences here and there. IT goes with the territory. One thing I have discovered is that if you leave a question half answered, people still get upset because you forgot the other half. And, since we are talking about tecyhnical products, sometimes there is simply no way around the lengthy discussion.
Some folks feel too uptight to ask the questions privately - even though I provide an email for those needing it. *shrug* Oh well. I can only do what I can do. So, how about you kinda starting a thread here that addresses topics you think this forum will find interesting. You seem to have your finger on the pulse. Ask me what you'd like to know. I'll do my best to help out. Really.

Oh, and sorry 'bout how the specs came out. Can someone explain to me how little formatting is done on this window? It looks like it ignores certain carriage returns and spaces. Will it respond appropriately to HTML formatting? What do I gots to do to make things legible for y'all?

Best of Luck!!

Message 20/53             07-Jan-99  @  09:44 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

What will the approximate cost be for the controller? How soon will pulsar work w/ triple dat? I saw a used triple dat for $400 the other day, good deal? I mean, did Guitar Center blow them out for cheaper than that?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)